For those who have gone AxeFX II to AX8 for live workflow...

mtmartin71

Experienced
...anything you miss about the AxeFX II? I've got a AxeFX II XL+ and have owned AxeFX rack units for a while now. Before I was using the Liquid Foot Jr and now I've been using the MFC. 90% of what I do with it is for live use in cover band situation...maybe 12 times a year. With an AX8, I wouldn't need the stand for the AxeFX nor would I need the MFC. I'd drop two pieces to carry in. I jumped on the waiting list.

FWIW...I'm not huge on effects and I'm not going for exact tone matches of the songs we do. My current patch workflow has 4-5 rigs per patch via 2 amp/cabs, X/Y, and Scenes. I know I'll lose that and have to go to separate patches. Beyond that, anything else I may miss?

when I go back to the AxeFx II and the MFC, I always hit the wrong buttons on the MFC.
I like the button layout and functions better on the AX8

I miss the speed of x-y scene changes a bit, but there are ways to improve it. ease of set up are worth it. switch options are great on the AX-8. I used set list with mfc edit, this takes axe manage presets to preform similar. do have to run a few more cables to the stage front compared to the fas link, but less cables over all to connect the rig. way better to carry to band practice and jam sessions also. I really haven't missed my XL to play out, but I will miss my AX-8, it is ill and I have to send it to the fractal hospital.

Only one amp and cab block with the AX8. If you depend on two amp blocks and two cab blocks running simultaneously for your tones you will not be able to duplicate that with the AX8.

For what its worth, I went from an AxeII/LF+ JR+ rig to the AX8. No regrets at all.

No regrets. Depending on how you use(d) the AFII you may have to adjust your expectations. Knowing what's been trimmed down on the AX8 ahead of time will do this. I sold my AFII to a friend who wanted it for his studio use. Unloaded the MFC on the forums here. Picked up an AX8 when my wait list came up and haven't looked back.

OK...I think I do want an all-in-one floorboard unit given my use case. One thing creeping up in my research is the Line 6 Helix. It's available now. I would use Ownhammer IRs with it (or the AX8). Any of you guys been down that path of choosing between the AX8 or the Helix? I'd feel like I was cheating though if I left the Fractal platform after all these years! I don't need both...that's for sure.

many people who have used Fractal did not like the Helix. people new to modeling or used to Line 6 like the Helix because they have it and didn't want to wait for AX8. of course many other situations, but those were most of what i saw.

many people who have used Fractal did not like the Helix. people new to modeling or used to Line 6 like the Helix because they have it and didn't want to wait for AX8. of course many other situations, but those were most of what i saw.

Chris is right - I tried the Helix - and aside from the "Helix Hiss" / Squirrels and meh tones ...the single biggest downside for me was the user interface.....bizarre, as this was supposedly state-of-the-art - but after years of AXE use I really struggled with it - so it went back and I was delighted when the AX8 arrived. You should buy the AX8 trust me.

Any feel for the waitlist turnaround time right now? I saw someone offering one on TGP but they wanted $1550 for it. I don't "have" to have one so I don't want to overpay.

Chris is right - I tried the Helix - and aside from the "Helix Hiss" / Squirrels and meh tones ...the single biggest downside for me was the user interface.....bizarre, as this was supposedly state-of-the-art - but after years of AXE use I really struggled with it - so it went back and I was delighted when the AX8 arrived. You should buy the AX8 trust me.

Thanks for this. I think I'd find myself in the same boat as I'm so used to the Fractal workflow. I really like the sound too and the support. I think I'm going to hold out until my number is called.

The only issue I have with AX8 vs AxeFX2 is that its hard to get all the effects I want into one AX8 patch without running out of CPU if I include a reverb.
Even a basic reverb seems to use as much CPU as three of anything else.

Fortunately I use delay much more than I use reverb anyway, so I've programmed most of my patches without it. If I was big reverb user I'd take along an Eventide H9 and put it at the end of the chain.

The only issue I have with AX8 vs AxeFX2 is that its hard to get all the effects I want into one AX8 patch without running out of CPU if I include a reverb.
Even a basic reverb seems to use as much CPU as three of anything else.

Fortunately I use delay much more than I use reverb anyway, so I've programmed most of my patches without it. If I was big reverb user I'd take along an Eventide H9 and put it at the end of the chain.
most Reverb types use 25% - 30% CPU in High res at default settings. using Normal resolution - which sounds great and is still a high quality - reduces 8% CPU usage. reducing the Echo Density from 8 to a lower number saves even more CPU.

OK...I think I do want an all-in-one floorboard unit given my use case. One thing creeping up in my research is the Line 6 Helix. It's available now. I would use Ownhammer IRs with it (or the AX8). Any of you guys been down that path of choosing between the AX8 or the Helix? I'd feel like I was cheating though if I left the Fractal platform after all these years! I don't need both...that's for sure.
I was a longtime L6 user, finally made the plunge on the AFXII, and I loved it - outstanding tone and flexibility. I got tired of the rack/controller hassles and sold the Axe on the bet for the Fractal floor unit. Helix came out too, and I've been waiting to try one thinking if it sounded good enough, I'd probably go that route since I prefer the all in one floorboard and pedal.

I found out a friend recently got a Helix, and he let me borrow it to play on worship team this past Sunday. I loved the UI - I think it is genius. I love having a completely self contained unit complete with expression pedal and USB audio. But, apparently, I'm totally spoiled with the best tone on the planet coming from the Axe, because I wasn't too keen on the Helix amps and especially the drives and effects - they sounded way less high fidelity less "real" like they do with Fractal. Dealmaker said it well - "Helix hiss", squirrels and meh tones .... Yup, my sentiments exactly.

I returned the Helix to my buddy, thanked him so much for helping me finally make my decision,and I sent my wait list request for the Ax8! :)

I had the Helix and sold it because the AX8 kicked Helix ass.....

I got $2400 for my Axe Fx + MFC and paid $1400 for the AX8. Used the $1000 for my 2nd FRFR. Now I have less stuff & stereo sound. Regarding CPU, you can run out with the Axe Fx as well. OK, not as quick as the AX8, but still there is a limit. I know people like to go crazy with the blocks, but really, Wah -> Amp -> Cab -> Delay -> Reverb is all anyone really needs. In my experience, most audience members are not nearly as critical of my tone as I am. Lastly, the Fractal stuff keeps it's value. If you sell your Axe + MFC for the AX8 and it's not good for you, sell it and buy a used Axe Fx again.

Yep...I'm just waiting for my ticket to be called at this point. Right now on my Axe II XL+, I've built it such that I have one patch per guitar that has 5 scenes underneath it which are the clean, med gain, hi gain, lead 1, and lead 2. It's a mix of 4 different amps within the patch. I did it in a clever way (that I got from someone else on the board here) to make the scene changes to the different amps and sound be seamless. I can decouple this from the scenes and go with a patch system to get close to replicating the current setup. And...I can dump out some effects I'd never use for certain scenes now. I don't see any issue running up against CPU load. I'm using slap delay vs. reverb for live "space" when I want it.

most Reverb types use 25% - 30% CPU in High res at default settings. using Normal resolution - which sounds great and is still a high quality - reduces 8% CPU usage. reducing the Echo Density from 8 to a lower number saves even more CPU.
I was using Normal resolution, but still got tired of crafting the perfect effects chain and getting the dreaded “INSUFFICIENT CPU” even when I didn't have all the effects on at once.
I haven't tried reducing Echo Density, maybe that's all I need.
Like I said, I like delay better than reverb anyway, so for now I leave it off and never have to worry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom