Fixed: Roland MIDI expression pedal to AX8

Molekiller

Experienced
Ive got a Roland FC 200 that I'd like use in cc mode for a volume pedal, wah, maybe dedicated looper functions, and other stuff. I'm having trouble so I wondered if anyone has tried connecting a third party MIDI device like this to the AX8?
To start, I am trying to use the expression pedal to control the level of a volume block. I assigned modifier source to external control 5, changed the cc # on the FC 200 exp pdl to 20. The pedal moves the dot on the modifier graph but in an erratic way and doesn't always go to the extremes(sound matches graph) then within a short period of time, the AX8 freezes (screen freezes and no response from any front panel knobs or buttons) then works fine after power cycle and disconnecting the midi cable. I only have one midi cable so I'm planning to buy another to try and also try hooking the FC 200 to an old Roland modeler to see if it works as intended there. In the mean time I wanted to check the knowledge base here to see if I'm missing something.

I tried the controller and midi cable with another piece of hardware (Roland GP100) and everything works fine.

Edit: support page suggests trying a blank preset. I'll try this next.

Last edited:
can you get the volume control to work with other midi controllers/sources? For example running a DAW and enveloping a midi cc change for the volume control?

can you get the volume control to work with other midi controllers/sources?

The FC200 is the only midi device I have. It works ok for bypassing a block for instance. The trouble seems to be between the midi expression pedal and the AX8.

I have contacted support.

Last edited:
Make sure you're going straight from FC200 to AX8, not via the midi-out-thru of another device. The Roland expression pedals send a special kind of midi message (running status) that some devices, ie Line 6 Pod Pro HD, don't pass thru correctly.

Thanks for the Info Frantick. Have you ever used a Roland midi expression pedal with FAS gear? If so, did they work together ok? I wonder if the "running status" is causing my issue.

Edit: Frantick, I found your post from last year where you solved your issue with Axe by removing the midi thru device between your FC300 and Axe.

The behavior you described with the MIDI thru device sounds identical to what I'm experiencing with expression pedal of the FC200 going straight into the AX8.

Last edited:
Sent an email to support (ticket # 11091) a few days ago saying that I'd found in the forum where this was happening with Roland midi controllers back in the early days of Axe II and then Cliff fixed it with firmware. Got a reply from support yesterday that sounded like they didn't see any of this info so I'm not sure if my email replies to support are getting through so I thought I'd bump this thread. The link to the old AXE II issue with Roland midi (and it's resolution) is in the post above. Hope this can be fixed on the AX8 when Q2 comes.

Last edited:
Could someone please move this to the "AX8 wishes and bugs" topic?

Latest on this topic is that FAS support asked if I could send them my FC-200 so they could check out the glitchy expression pedal behavior first hand. Done. Obviously, I'm the only AX8 user on the forum experiencing this issue so I really appreciate the individual service.

Thanks fellas!

Back
Top Bottom