For those waiting, what are you using?

For gigs, still using my usual rig of GSP 1101 for effects and Peavey JSX. Still a winner, but looking forward to downsizing with the AX-8. My AXE-FX II stays home at the moment.

I was there for the v1 to v2 transition. There wasn't much new on the modeling front besides a few new amps. Most of the changes were related to effects improvements and editor/switching functionality.

160Hz on the bottom,
Yup, adding the PEQ low shelf was key to tightening up most of the models.

I was there for the v1 to v2 transition. There wasn't much new on the modeling front besides a few new amps. Most of the changes were related to effects improvements and editor/switching functionality.
Gotcha. So are you an AxeFX2 user? I'd love to hear about how much better the AX8 will be!
Oh and the fx in the Amplifire are very mediocre compared to the FX8...

Run this rig through two Marshall 1912's

image.jpeg

Never let me down yet. But really can't wait for Ax8. Time for an upgrade me thinks :)

I had an Amplifire when it was launch and returned it few days later. I was a bit disappoint with the effects quality and the amp modeling was kind of sterile sounding. It might have improve though, with newer firmware!
I'm seeing what you mean. I used the Amplifire > FX8 > and Atomic CLR the last two nights at rehearsals and have to say *meh* NOT excited about what I'm hearing. The CLR sounds GREAT off axis, but standing right in front of it is the worst listening position. Used that rig all night last night and most of tonight. Switched to my amp and wow...most of the improvement was feel but smoother tone too. Need someone to tell me that AX8 is gonna really be worth it. Between what seems like a never ending wait when I'm on the first day of the waitlist and the amount of work it seems to take to dial in this Amplifire rig...of course recognizing that my amp rig has been settled and I've gotten used to playing through it for a few years now...I tweaked these last two nights and if I was full gain, it sounded fine but if I rolled back the guitar volume it got boxy and basically crappy sounding. Could not fix it. Bummed.

I'm seeing what you mean. I used the Amplifire > FX8 > and Atomic CLR the last two nights at rehearsals and have to say *meh* NOT excited about what I'm hearing. The CLR sounds GREAT off axis, but standing right in front of it is the worst listening position. Used that rig all night last night and most of tonight. Switched to my amp and wow...most of the improvement was feel but smoother tone too. Need someone to tell me that AX8 is gonna really be worth it. Between what seems like a never ending wait when I'm on the first day of the waitlist and the amount of work it seems to take to dial in this Amplifire rig...of course recognizing that my amp rig has been settled and I've gotten used to playing through it for a few years now...I tweaked these last two nights and if I was full gain, it sounded fine but if I rolled back the guitar volume it got boxy and basically crappy sounding. Could not fix it. Bummed.
The AmpliFIRE can sound amazing, but you need to do a number of essential tweaks to get it there -- tweaks IMHO that should have been defaults. The presets are pretty horrible.

Not sure what kind of music you're into, but I definitely get the impression that the most satisfied group "out of the box" are no- and low-gainers.

Yup, adding the PEQ low shelf was key to tightening up most of the models.
What were you using for a monitor? Seriously, this sounded like a$$...I'm about to bail on the AX8 idea and go for a Torpedo load box/cab emulator...somebody talk be off the ledge!

The AmpliFIRE can sound amazing, but you need to do a number of essential tweaks to get it there -- tweaks IMHO that should have been defaults. The presets are pretty horrible.

Not sure what kind of music you're into, but I definitely get the impression that the most satisfied group "out of the box" are no- and low-gainers.
Hmmm...I'm a 2204 guy. been playing them for over 30 years. The real ones I had were early '80s...nowadays I've got a couple of Soultones...a 2204 and a 1987 that I modified to sound more late '70s MV. Honestly the latter is the best amp I've ever had. I set them edge of breakup and use guitar volume for clean and Tim overdrive (medium gain, Tubescreamer derivative) to get to higher gain sounds.

Would love to hear about the tweaks if you can remember them.

I really want to dig this modeling thing...would love to have a small rig, but this is my second foray into it and to tell you the truth, the first, a Line 6 HD500 sounded better.

Beginning to think I just don't have the patience for this. I love to tinker and tweak...have modded my amps for about 10 years now...but I generally don't have to tweak real hard to get great tone in any room. So far, I get the impression that modelers are going to be fairly labor intensive...

Last edited:
I'd send you my Hot Brit and Plexi presets if I can find them. I saved them before I unloaded my first AF.

Have you ever play an Axe fx II? Because I had one for years so I can compare its amp model and effects with the amplifire. And to me, there is no comparaison. Amp modeling and tube feel on the Axe fx is lightyear ahead. AX8 won't dissapoint you, trust me!

Have you ever play an Axe fx II? Because I had one for years so I can compare its amp model and effects with the amplifire. And to me, there is no comparaison. Amp modeling and tube feel on the Axe fx is lightyear ahead. AX8 won't dissapoint you, trust me!
No, I haven't...Cool. That, particularly the feel of it, is what I needed to hear. I have to admit that I was frustrated and had a few drinks. Sorry if I overposted! I am however, concerned that modeling simply may not be for me, but I do feel that I need to try the AX8 first. And hey, it would appear resale is not going to be a problem if I find I don't like it!!!!

I've been looking at the Torpedo Live load box/ cab sim. Really interesting...will probably end up with one either way.

No, I haven't...Cool. That, particularly the feel of it, is what I needed to hear. I have to admit that I was frustrated and had a few drinks. Sorry if I overposted! I am however, concerned that modeling simply may not be for me, but I do feel that I need to try the AX8 first. And hey, it would appear resale is not going to be a problem if I find I don't like it!!!!

I've been looking at the Torpedo Live load box/ cab sim. Really interesting...will probably end up with one either way.
Mmm, you wrote you are use to some tube amp you had for over 30 years! My guess is you are use to those being crank in the same room. Then, to give any amp modeler justice, you need to test it in a same way!

Have you try to put the Amplifire in the return loop of one of your amp? This way, you bypass your amp preamp and use the amplifire preamp. Be sure to turn cab sim off with this scenario. This is the best way to compare both IMHO.

Just keep in mind that most of the modelers are great silent recording solutions. You don't need to crank an amp in another room, find the perfect spot for miking etc. But you can use them in other scenario. Just make sure you are setting it right for every situation! Using it with a real cab and not bypassing cab IR will obviously sounds weird! That dosen't mean the unit is not great, you just need to set it right!! Experiment and have fun! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom