How many don't use reverb at all for live?

I have a couple of presets with no reverb. The sound is really dry and in your face. I usually just use those for certain secions of songs when I want that sound. I don't use a ton of reverb but I think it adds depth to the sound and I like that.

I have a couple of presets with no reverb. The sound is really dry and in your face. I usually just use those for certain secions of songs when I want that sound. I don't use a ton of reverb but I think it adds depth to the sound and I like that.
I only use it if I am doing big single note swells

Haven't used any onmy distorted tones in a long time.... Delay geta me where i wanna go in live situations, and i find it cuts better through the mix, if i avoid reverb.
For cleans though i often use verb to get a bigger sound, plus there is usually more room for the guitars in the parts of the songs were clean is prefered -i play hard rock/metal, so clean parts doesn't come that often ;)

Reverb is really useful for creating a little bloom on notes, and helps smooth out uneven dynamics. Obviously, if you're doing reggae or surf, you pretty much have to use it. For most of what I play, I use very little reverb any more. I find it smears my articulation a bit, and I prefer a modulated (tape style) delay for ambience.

I don't use reverb at all. There is already reverb in the room/venue, adding more just makes it muddy.
That is another great point. There isn't a practical way to "un-reverb" an input, so it's smart to avoid adding to that mud. We do play some rooms that are acoustically neutral, and have very little natural reverb. In those cases I figure the FOH engineer has a better vantage point for adding reverb / ambience to the entire mix if they want to. I definitely don't want to give them a wet signal they can't work with.

No reverb @ live.. there was a great thread with metallica's tech mentioned why reverb is no good when playing large gigs

I have q reverb block in my preset but also it is controlled by an expression pedal: if I need it I can put some reverb in, if the venue has a good natural reverb I can take it off.

I use a very very small amount of reverb. Just enough to "smooth out" the high end.

Other than using it as a specific effect (slapback, big ambient swells etc) . I rarely use it

My reverb footswitch is an X/Y toggle, so when it's on it's for the occasional "big reverb" effect, otherwise it's set for a very low level that's only just noticeable if I switch it off.

I only use it in one patch, and there's a lot if it, but that's an ambient pad-like shimmer'y sound. That's it. I find reverb to be a very unruly thing that will get you lost in the mix just like that, unless you have several hours for a sound check to tweak things ad nauseum to fit a particular room.

Apart from special effects cases, reverbs have nothing to do in live guitar rigs, IMO They are a great thing, but should be located and controlled by the FOH guy. If it's not possible, better to avoid them altogether.

With my main gig we always use a full PA set-up, so I almost never use any reverb in my live patches for that.
The FOH tech is very good and has a three Bricasti M7's, one is always for the artist vox, one for backing vox and the last one is normally for my guitar. Everything else goes through either TC or Lex verbs.
The point being that verb is added/controlled at the FOH.
When I play in other settings I'll some times use a little verb from the Axe (which has really great verb BTW), for recording I use a mixture of the verb in the Axe, my Lexicon plug-in verb, other plug-in verbs - recently specially the Fractal verb plug-in.

I play fairly heavy stuff with no reverb on my rhythms at all but on my leads and cleans I use reverb and delay live and in rehearsal.

I use it lightly here (10%). However, lately I've really been digging the Hot Kitty amp recently with the spring reverb.

I use it as an effect. It's on for one song these days, Kansas City, and that's it. Otherwise I play without it. Lots of ambience in the rooms we're playing these days.

I use it on everything. I always use it with the Ducker parameter so when i'm playing and busy there isn't much and it only comes in at the trail of something decaying. Best of both worlds

The only live stuff i'm doing right now is P&W, so no.. all reverb, all the time. Always have a med. room verb at least rub parallel, and then a deep space with a multi delay plex shift with a dry signal and wet from the multidelay going into the deep space verb for that p&w "shimmer" sound. Wish I had a bit more CPU to use a resonator or at least a chorus in that run...
Used to be so hard to get a good shimmer sound.. I was bummed I thought I'd have to get a freakin strymon too, but I figured it out so well, that it takes about 2 seconds, and sounds better than strymons cloudverb.

Generally no reverb, except for obvious effects, like a spring reverb before the amp for old vibes. Or huge reverb for reverb-crazy moments. But the basic sounds are 100% dry. I feel reverb is just additional mud when playing loud.

Back
Top Bottom