Current NON-Fractal Audio users making the switch ?

1poorplayer

Power User
I'm curious as to who is hanging around here , waiting for the release of the AX8 , who doesn't currently use a Fractal unit for live use.

What is your current rig ? - that will accumulate dust , be kept as a backup , or ..........go on the chopping block and be set free , only to wind up in the hands of some less fortunate soul , whose quest for a bargain exceeds their desire for the AX8 , with it's unparalleled tone and functionality which will soon be available to those of us who will not settle for the inferior floor amp modeling units currently available on this planet.

Years ago i tried Line6 (briefly) , went to an amp head/load box direct , then a tech21 rig , now using the Amplifire.

Whatcha got ?

I owned an Axe-Fx II for a while and decided I didn't need all of the power for what is currently just bedroom/house playing or jamming with friends. Currently just using my little Blackstar Amp and a custom cab. Looking forward to picking up the AX8 and adding a bit more back to the mix :) The Blackstar will still get used sometimes though, as it's a terrific amp with a nice warm feel to it!

I have multiple tube amps, including a Komet 60, a Germino Club40, a CARR Mercury, a Speed Shop Tweed Deluxe, and others. I don't even play for an audience, nor am I in a band. I am on the list for an AX8 because eventually I will need to downsize, and will not be able to keep all of this "heavy iron" around.

I have been following the progress of modelers since the Digitech GNX4 almost ten years ago. It seems that they have made significant progress, to the point where I will be able to make the switch, without missing the tube amps.

Last edited:
I'm using the Helix right now and getting some absolutely killer tones from it. Effects are excellent, as usual with L6, but I find the amp selection limited, that's where the Fractal shines, IMO. It may be possible to tweak the existing models in the Helix to get what you need but I'm not a modeling genius, I like to scroll through what's in the box, find 2-3 amps I like and be done with it, that's why I'm waiting for the AX8. I am, however, getting a bit impatient waiting, I've been considering getting a used XL and MFC and scrapping the AX8 idea.

I'll bite.. I have a KPA at the moment I use through a 1x12 that sounds awesome. I also have the FCB1010 as a footswitch which i'm not happy with at all.. I'm looking at the AX8 as I want a great foot pedal format with awesome tones as well. Scenes seem perfect for my needs. I could buy the remote for the Kemper but its a fortune and I could also cover the cost of the AX8 most likely by selling my current rig. Plus that's two units as opposed to one. Love the idea of an all in one floor unit..

I also briefly had a helix which was fabulous on the floor, it's a wonderful controller but at this point I felt the raw amp sounds still were not quite as good as the KPA, though they were close. I'm confident they will improve it however but at this point I decided to return it and wait for the AX8.

I've always wanted an AXE but couldn't afford it, I got the KPA used for a good price. I had the opportunity to try an AXE a couple of years back and at that time preferred the KPA but I have high hopes from what I've heard of Quantum and think I can now make the switch happily. Also looking forward to having more effects options than I am used to.

I am new to the whole Fractal thing...I am a long time Line 6 person...I have been gigging around 3 weekends a month with a Pod HD500 for a long time. I was going to get a Helix until I learned of the AX8. I am on the waiting list and am pretty psyched. The HD500 has served me very, very well so I hope not only does the AX8 sound as good as what people say but that it is truly roadworthy.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the release of this thing...The AxeFx stuff was always on my radar but too much coin for a part time guitar dude...with the AX8 that has changed!

Currently got a Marshall JVM Satch rig. Best rig I've ever had. Until about a year ago I had an Axe-FX Standard, but got frustrated with FRFR and feeling I'd become totally out of touch with how a normal tube rig sounds - I literally hadn't plugged into one for more than five years.

But the JVM is severely under-exploited - I barely get to push the power amp much. Through a Matrix GT1000FX and 2x12 I'm hoping the AX8 can get me very close, even surpass my current rig in tone and functionality and also allow me to have a really small stage footprint and stage volume for certain gigs. I'm fond of the JVM, so I'm quietly sceptical but pretty hopeful the AX8 will more than impress. If it does, the JVM and at least half my pedalboard will go.

Hello
i just sold my Helix and i'm on the waiting list for the AX8 .... why ?

Today :

* "hey oliver, what's your live rig ?"
>>> heu...a line 6 ! :oops:

* "I'm sorry for you... "Hell - X" ?

in a few weeks :

* "hey oliver, what's your live rig ?"
>>> heu...a Fractal Audio ! :):p

*"Oh man, I'm fuck*** jealous !

That's it !

More seriously ....

Helix is great on clean sounds and 4CM, but i had many EQ locut adjustments on 'metal/rock' presets & spent too many time on settings without final exceptional result, not satisfied at 100% for the price ... and when i listen to the AX8 demo : it sounds wayyyyy better !
i don't care about having 10.000 effects inside, 1st priority = the TONE = Fractal Audio !

Seems this is a common theme in this so far .... POD people. I'm running a 500x into 2 FRFR 10" cabs which I have never been 100% happy with for grunge / rock tones. I was holding out for the Helix but always wanted an axe fx but, just like many of you, couldn't afford the the cost of one plus a controller. I got within a week of getting my pre-order filled when I found out about the Ax8 and promptly cancelled my pre-order and jumped on the w8 list.

i am onboard.The pricepoint drew me in to try fractal. I tried the helix and didnt like the amp/cabs in it.Many can get super tones but i didnt want to tweak alot..the ability to go deeper is excellent but i didnt want to HAVE to to get good tone.

So I described my current setup in detail here What setup are you gonna build with AX8

Basically I have a Koch Studiotone and a pedalboard that gives me all the sounds I need. I have upgraded the tubes to NOS Mullards in the entire amp and the speaker to a celestion Blue - I also have a custom built ported 1x12 extension cab with a G12H30 Anniv. However, these days I mute the speaker (the amp has built-in loadbox) and tap the signal from the power amp output and run it through a Torpedo C.A.B. directly to the PA system, and I am listening thru in-ear monitors. So I already love the silent guitar amp thingy.

I want the Ax8, because I want an even lighter and easier system to setup. Also, I believe that Axe will sound better than my hybrid tube amp speaker modelling setup. I also love the flexibility of the many amp possibilities in Axe, although I doubt that I will ever use more than five or six different amp models for my live gigs.

I'm in this camp. Was using a Line 6 DT25 combo and pedal board until recently when the DT25 lost power between church services, most online indications suggest a power transformer failure, apparently not an uncommon occurrence with these amps. I have an HD 500 but am refusing to pull it out of the closet, unless to sell it. That being the case I am unplugged at the moment, and I am stubbornly (and maybe foolishly) refusing to believe the wait will be too much longer.

Been wanting to be a fractal owner for years, my son has an AX FX and has been raving about it since he got it. As tempted as I've been to find a used AX FX, the form factor and price of the AX8 make it a no brainer for me.

Never played on anything from Fractal and waiting patiently; anxious but who here isnt. Some of my gear: Triaxis, JMP-1, Carvin Legacy V3, JCM900, Marshall 50/50, GX-700. All used at some point in search of what it appears the AX8 will yield with little effort.
If it lives up to what I've heard in people's demos (thanks for the teasers btw), I will be parting ways with most of my gear soon after the delivery guy gets his GRUBBY PAWS OFF MY AX8!!!
....patiently waiting. o_O

I'll be a newcomer as well. I'm currently using a zoom G3 for my modeling needs which sounds pretty meh.

I sold off most of my pedals to be able to afford the Helix, and I was within about a day of one getting shipped to me when the ax8 price was announced. I immediately cancled my Helix pre-order, as I've been wanting an Axe fx forever but could never afford one.

By the sounds of the Helix compared to the ax8, I believe I've made the right decision. :)

I might be a newcomer, depending on release dates.
I didn't even join the HD500 crowd and kept my XT with the shortboard, which has served me extremely well for many, many years.
Since I'm not sure the AX8 will be ready when I need it, I purchased an AmpliFire, which is proving to be excellent and very portable. I'll probably end up copying the setup I had with the XT to keep it easy to transport and practical.

On the AX8 Waiting list. Bought an FX8 in the meantime. Also have a Helix coming in January.

Have two custom made amps. I'm not sure I'll ever go FRFR live.

I do own an Axe FX II already, but for my limited needs, the AX8 should be all I really need. So that's my plan.

A couple Pignose amps to take drag along if I start teaching again. Maybe a Fender Mustang III as a simple grab 'n' go, for theater gigs and stuff like that.

On the AX8 Waiting list. Bought an FX8 in the meantime. Also have a Helix coming in January.

Have two custom made amps. I'm not sure I'll ever go FRFR live.

I have a few custom made amps too. Several other "boutique" amps , and a half dozen off the shelf amps. When we went with IEM's , I left them all behind to go directly to the board. It was difficult to leave so much expensive TONE at home , but the quality of the "overall" mix out front increased SO much by eliminating stage volume , I decide to make the best of my amp sim to get by , and never looked back.
When I tried the Helix out , I thought the effects sounded better than previous Line6 units (maybe because Yamaha is running the show now ?) , but could not make the amps sound like I wanted , even after hours of tweaking and tweaking.
I want to spend - hours PLAYING gear , and - minutes TWEAKING.
I can't wait to unleash the possibilities the AX8 is going to give me now.

I am making a HUGE upgrade from a Digitech RP255 multi effects pedal. It doesn't sound too bad through some monitors or an amp, but through a pair of Sony MDR V6 headphones it sounds awful. Check out the old rig tones below.

2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard - Digitech RP255 - Digitech Jamman Stereo Looper - 2x KRK Rokit 8

I'm a HUGE fan of the Eleven Rack & just bought the Axe Fx ii because I couldn't wait to test out Fractals AX8. The 11-Rack got me into the world of digital recording & will always hold a special place in my heart. I created more songs, licks & content w/ that little Orange box then I ever thought possible,

The AX8 will be the PERFECT gig rig for my cover band & stereo Friedman ASM-12 set-up.

X

Back
Top Bottom