Upgraded to Quantum from 16.01... presets sounds shitty

SteelEdge

Well...I´ve decided to upgrade to Quantum today and give it a try, I´ve been quite happy with my sounds and presets in Firmware 16.01, that´s why I didn´t upgraded since last year.Upgrading means to re-tweak mostly of your presets and I don´t have the time to do that again (yes, I´m lazy...)

I also have a Kemper and a Friedman BE-100, so I have the Axe FX focused on certainly sounds, mostly U2 stuff, and some Tone Matchings from George Lynch, Metallica, 80´s hard rock stuff....

So, I upgraded and all my U2 presets sounds gainy, no clean at all, and the character of some of the hard-rock presets I use changed too.Mostly "cleans" presets sound now distorted.

Anyone can tell me which firmware upgrade caused this??? I know Quantum didn´t change a lot from the previous firmware, but probably the 18.0 or 19.0 did... I´d really appreciate if someone can give me any tips to globally re-tweak my clean presets to sounds nice in Quantum as they did in firmware 16.1.

If I have to do one by one...I think I´m gonna get back to firmware 16.01...

Thanks in advance!

Upgraded from 14 to Q and no problems here.

Did you reset the amps? (switch amp in patch to another one and then back)
Or try to load the firmware again might help.

Hi, I´ve got the same issue. Came from FW 19 (everything sounds great and awesome with 19), now every preset is gainy and little or bad distorted, same on factory presets. The setting (AXE XL+, guitars, Matrix Amp, cables etc.) is always the same, MFC with actual FW. Reloaded the FW for x-times (incl. back to 19 and reset, backstore the old presets etc.), with different computers and usb-cables, it works with Q 1.0 after 6-7 times reloaded, then two days later everythings sounds bad again, used axe-edit(actual FW) and fractal bot sometimes, nothing else more.
it is terrible and a pain, sorry for my bad english!

I downgraded to 16.01 again and everything sounds smooth again.....

Maybe I'll tey to reinstall the Quantum again and see if I get the same issue.Then I'll try to reset the amps, because there is no drive in mostly of my clean patches that now sound dirty.

If it doesn't work, maybe I'll stay in firmware 16.... Sad!

I presume you're using the AC30 amp. model? In the amp. block, check the Preamp Tube Type parameter in the the Preamp tab section. Mine all changed when I upgraded to Quantum 1.01. Try increasing the Dephase value too.

If you are going to jump four *major* releases of FW and you are not willing to rewrite your presets don't bother. The FX will translate pretty much but major revs require amp redials and you are skipping multiple revs @ once.

If it doesn't work, maybe I'll stay in firmware 16.... Sad!

That is sad.........I've shy'd away from a few updates because of gigs and the 'work' of re-dialing and tone matching 40+ multi-scene presets.

But......It's not like digging a ditch, or doing a brake job on an 18 wheeler!:encouragement: It's just pointing and clicking and playing your guitar. And in the end, you have a better sound and more goodies. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday really.

If you like the sounds you have, and there is nothing in the new firmware you need, it's no sin to stay put. There are plenty of players out there making great sounds on Axe FX Standard and Ultra units on very old firmware... it really is up to the player.

I have waited a bit to update until I had enough time between gigs to rework my sounds. I am doing that right now with the Quantum update. My cleans actually sounded great (Vibroverb) but I did need to do a bit of minor tweaking on some of my other settings. The plus of updating and tweaking is you often find new sounds, even whole new amps, that work better than what you had before. I love those discoveries, and it makes the work worthwhile for me. Your call whether it is worth it for you. There is no wrong answer if the sound you end up with makes you happy.

Agree with Chris. Start from a clean slate. It's probably totally worth it just to take the time to rethink all your patches anyway.

If your presets were built around 16.01, then no wonder quantum sounds different.... The new modelling and algo's will cause those old settings to be obsolete

Well...I´ve decided to upgrade to Quantum today and give it a try, I´ve been quite happy with my sounds and presets in Firmware 16.01, that´s why I didn´t upgraded since last year.Upgrading means to re-tweak mostly of your presets and I don´t have the time to do that again (yes, I´m lazy...)

The is the one big conflict I struggle with every new major FW update. 'Do I upgrade and spend a lot of time re tweaking all my presets or not'. There have been so many topics about this already. I hate too waste much (valuable) time on re tweaking/repairing my presets every new FW but I also like some of the new features. Especially FX improvements and I care less for amp updates. That's the downside of having constant updates. But on the other hand I really appreciate the improvements and that the Axe is not a static unit. I guess you can't have both....

I came from 12.2 firmware to Quantum (and a Axe II to an XL+). Long time FAS user & Love QUANTUM !!

For numerous reasons, I've begun "dialing in" some of my fav custom presets. They mostly sounded instantly better, more precise and clear. I needed to do minor tweaks on a few since I go thick & strong on my rock tones...played LIVE & LOUD:
Tie Your Mother Down
all Alive
When I Come Around
all Tom Sawyers
You Really Got Me
Working Man
Ah Leah
all Barracuda
all No Matter What

Whole Lotta Love & Stranglehold... didnt translate as well, for some reason. One thought is the CLARITY is there now - where it should be.

So, after this long description, maybe try to dial in, by hand, a simple tone you have and know well. Cheers!

Tried again today.Mostly presets I use sound different (worse), so I'll have to find a motivation to change to Quantum and re-do all my patches.

Also, all the guitarjon Metallica tonematch patches that I love, sounds shitty too...maybe when he posts the new Quantum versions I'll make the effort, but there are really a lot of patches that I love and I'm comfortable with that sounds worse in Quantum, so I'm gonna stay on 16.01 for a while...

Tried again today.Mostly presets I use sound different (worse), so I'll have to find a motivation to change to Quantum and re-do all my patches.

Do you use Axe-Edit to create/manage presets? If so, you can easily A/B your old or imported presets then clear & create a new preset next to it taking notes on each preset where the parameters were before. I think you are going to find that from 16, which was and is an amazing FW, you will need less of the blocks to get your ideal sound. For example COMP, PEQ or FILTER blocks needed previously to obtain the ideal preset have been cleaned up in a lot of ways by the G3 & Quantum firmwares.

My recommendation is to start small and work in what your ears think they need. Try a simple config first like a Friedman or USA Lead AMP with a 4x12 V30 or other High-Res CAB to see if you can get THAT tone you're seeking much more easily.

Just a thought homey.

Back
Top Bottom