More Friedman ASM-12 Love.

I've got a question about these, since they are not coaxial doesn't the cab sound different depending on where you are standing?
I would think on the right side(facing it) the TWeeter would dominate and vice versa?

Not really. The waveguide is around 10" and conical so the dispersion is quite wide. Its no worse than any real cab Ive ever had regarding being off axis.
As a personal monitor the wedge position is fine. If your using it as a backline or in a band situation as your only source of tone (meaning your not direct to the PA as well) the standing it on its end works great. You loose a bit of bottom end as the coupling to the floor is a smaller footprint but it has more throw. Both ways sound great depending on your desired application.

I've got a question about these, since they are not coaxial doesn't the cab sound different depending on where you are standing?
I would think on the right side(facing it) the TWeeter would dominate and vice versa?

That is a really great question man. I don't know a lot about coaxial versus other types of speakers, etc. but definitely get what you are asking. I would not say one side dominates the other, especially when talking about the Tweeter side but if I'm sitting close to the wedge, I can hear the difference between the two sides when moving back and forth across the front of the wedge. With that said, it definitely is subtle and not like going from super low-end to raspy harsh highs on the other side. I'm sure that played into Dave Friedman's design and why the ASM-12 is not as "top heavy" as some of the other solutions.

The cool thing is that those two sides blend together nicely when moving away from the wedge. It is similar to how a guitar speaker sounds. When you have your ear up close for mic placement, etc. you are hearing those different parts of the speaker. As you move away, it all blends into a complete sound. I don't know what the sound disperse stats are for the ASM-12 but just know that it sounds great whether I'm right in front of it or standing several feet away.

does anyone make a padded cover for the ASM-12

After contacting the retailer from where I bought it, and after contacting Friedman, unfortunately there isn't a matching cover for it (unlike RCFs).

So, I measured it up and sent it through to TLC (Tender loving Covers, based here in Australia), and they are making one for me. Will put some pics up when it's done. Because it's so big and awkward, and being OCD, I had to get one made up for it because it's guaranteed to get a few knocks here and there.

After contacting the retailer from where I bought it, and after contacting Friedman, unfortunately there isn't a matching cover for it (unlike RCFs).

So, I measured it up and sent it through to TLC (Tender loving Covers, based here in Australia), and they are making one for me. Will put some pics up when it's done. Because it's so big and awkward, and being OCD, I had to get one made up for it because it's guaranteed to get a few knocks here and there.

Thanks!

I think these are GREAT for a fixed installation - like at home for instance - but for portability and gigging then forget it ! Its a heavy unit and physically large so a big stage footprint - plus the handling issue with the crazy handle location.......

I got rid of mine and reverted to my RCF NX12SMA - which is still large-ish - but slightly lighter and a lot easier to handle. I am hoping Matrix bring out a Powered Neodymium Monitor/Cab - and I will switch out to one of these - at which point I might re-consider a Friedman to use at home........

Easier to move around than a 4x12 cab still....

Id have to disagree. My last 4x12 had handles on the side and wheels on the bottom. lol. I love the ASM but youve got to roll the thing onto its top to get to the handle. Ill definately be fitting another handle to the top.... or maybe even remove the pole mount and fit 2 mini 4x12 style handles, one to each side. Stay tuned.

I think the handles on the side would be cool but again, wonder how much that affects the tone of the cab. I don't know enough about acoustics, etc. but seems like it would be affected in some way.

I love playing through the Friedman ASM-12. I'm really looking forward to picking up a second one someday. Prior to getting the Axe Fx I played through a wet dry wet rig with a Friedman BE-100 as my dry so personally I like seeing the Friedman name still part of my rig. I drive a F-250 and its easier to load it in and out than 4x12s. Yes its an adventure not having a cover but I'm getting over it. I'm just careful and the tones I'm getting far out weigh the worry of keeping it mint. If it gets a lil road rash so be it. Picking it up and carrying it hasn't been much of an issue. Based on what I was reading prior to getting it I thought it would be heavier and harder than it is. That being said as soon as someone makes a cover for it I'm all in!!!

Last edited:
I think the handles on the side would be cool but again, wonder how much that affects the tone of the cab. I don't know enough about acoustics, etc. but seems like it would be affected in some way.

If you did a recessed molded style handle that could possibility affect the tone of the cab, as it would change the physical volume of the enclosure (though by a pretty small degree I would imagine. Tougher issue would simply be making the cuts (I know I'd be sweating taking a saw to a $799 cab lol).

There are some externally mounted hand straps though that essentially would just screw into the enclosure. It would certainly mean putting a few holes into the cab, but shouldn't affect the tone at all. I don't really think it would look all that poor either, assuming one made sure to center them correctly for good balance of the weight etc.

Little bit of form coming before function and thinking about the aesthetics in the original design I think, as it does look cooler without handles where handles make the most sense, but at the end of the day, what matters more ? Looking stylish or easily being able to move it ?

Here is a link to a ton of different handle designs

Mojotone Amplifier Handles - Mojotone.com

Long story short, he preferred the CLR's and by good margin.

Others who tried both preferred the ASM-12 by good margin.

A lot of people seem to really love the CLR's, though some people think they are a bit harsh and clinical. There is both an objective and subjective element to what is the "best" sounding monitor. I would wager the CLR's are the most accurate, but do we always want that ? Or do we sometimes want to make a concession for what sounds a little better to our ears ?

Having the most accurate reproduction is well and good, but at the end of the day, does it really make that huge of difference ? Probably not. No other playback system is going to sound just like the CLR. Some PA's are brighter, some are a lot darker. Still have to tweak a bit at times, though the CLR does give you a good starting point for sure. At the same time, one can certainly learn that maybe they need to tweak the highs or mids a touch more on the ASM-12. Important thing is you know how your monitor system translates to the venue.

Bottom line is you should play something that sounds "good", and that makes you feel you got value for your $799 or $999. If you don't think CLR's sound good, to amount of internet praise about the accuracy and design etc is going to make you like the sound any better. Its just going to be a harsh sounding subjective waste of a grand to you. Who cares if 99% of forum members love them, they aren't paying your credit card bill when it arrives right ? lol

People who have the ASM-12's seem to love them, think they sound great, and look forward to every chance of picking up their guitar and playing through them. If all that holds true, then they are a great buy

Back
Top Bottom