What Have You Fellows Been Listening To Lately?

Anthony David

Experienced
I thought I would make a thread that's actually about music to distract myself from some irrelevant things that are popping up here lately, and my music tastes could use some expanding anyways. So what are you all digging lately? I'll pick two to start.

Steely Dan and Curtis Mayfield are recent discoveries from my fathers album collection. I would highly recommend Steely Dan if the thought of jazz, classic rock and pop combined excites you. Curtis is classic funk and R&B, very talented man and soulful music.

What are you guys listening to?

That is why I never allowed a woman in the band. A distraction for everyone else :lol. Shame because I love the way they sing. Any links to your band?

Steely Dan never seems to leave my listening rotation. Some incredibly well mixed music in their catalog. Pink Floyd is always on too. Love David's work.

I've been listening to a lot of the George Martin Beatles stuff. I bought a pair of Presonus Scepter S8s recently, and they are so detailed that I have been picking up tons of new things in songs I've known for a long time. But just sitting in between a stereo mix of this stuff is astonishing, how hard-L/R panned the vocals and instruments are and it still sounds so uniquely good. I would have never mixed like that. How creative.

Also been watching a lot of "Live at Daryl's House" reruns. What a killer band. The drummer has a great aggression in his playing. Drives everything forward. Watched Grace Potter... um hmmm. Jason Mraz was good, as was Rob Thomas. Good stuff all around.

Great suggestions Rick, Floyd is one of my favourite bands. And those monitors are fancy indeed! It's amazing what a difference a good pair of monitors can make. And thanks for mentioning Darryl's house, just brought it up on YouTube. I can tell I have some watching to do!

Lots of Floyd for me recently too...just started rehearsals with a new Pink Floyd tribute band. It's been fun learning songs that I've heard most of my life.

I have also covered allot of Floyd over the years. Lately I have been listening to Badfinger and also the latest release from The Aristocrats. Now there are two extreme differences its great to love all sorts of music.

Still listening to dream theater since 1999, like an addict :)
Aside a lot of rock/metal, from clutch to babymetal, through fear factory or slipknot.
When I'm in a quieter state of mind more pop stuff, but it's not that usual !
Classical music too.

But our band is a family band playing "commercial" punk and muscular pop :D

I'll add To the chorus of Floyd. David Gilmour is such an amazing influence on me. I've been listening to a lot of Animals and Meddle and Endless River. Radiohead is up there too. Also Social Distortion....kind of a mix between Johnny Cash and punk.

Rival Sons has been in my playlists lately. An absolutely amazing new rock band from California. Highly worth checking out if you like Zeppelin.

Many great suggestions all, got quite a few albums ordered this morning. On the subject of Floyd, what do you guys think of their latest album, The Endless River? I went into it not expecting much, but found it to be absolutely amazing.

Many great suggestions all, got quite a few albums ordered this morning. On the subject of Floyd, what do you guys think of their latest album, The Endless River? I went into it not expecting much, but found it to be absolutely amazing.

I really like The Endless River. Is it up there with Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals or The Wall? Not in my opinion, but I'm very happy with it all the same. Maybe it doesn't hit the highs of those albums, but I'm glad it was released to us rather than languishing in a vault.

Of course, Gilmour's tones are to die for. I'm a bit of a Gilmour fanatic. He's influenced me to really work on my vibrato and develop it as a technique of expression.

Back
Top Bottom