Going back to tubes

edawterb

Experienced
I always thought these kinds of threads were sorta weird but having found myself in the very same spot as some, I thought it appropriate to say to fractal and everyone a very BIG heartfelt thank you. I've learned so much about tone shaping from my axe fx AND all of you, going back even to my ultra days. If I could afford both a tube amp and my axe 2 I surely would, but in my ever chasing tone journey I have decided to go back to a tube amp and pedal set up. Again, I think the axe is a FANTASTIC unit and I am so grateful for its existence as well as all of you who I have learned so much from. I will no doubt be lurking on this site to see where my axe brethren (and sisterin to whom it may concern) will go and how far the ever brilliant Cliff and his team will take this most excellent peace of gear. As an aside, I will be listing my mfc and axe 2 on ebay in the next week or so and if anyone is so inclined, please feel free to pm me and I will gladly give all the details. Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you who have put so much effort into shaping this great unit into what it is today.

Sincerely, Edawterb

Incidentally, for any of who have ever wondered about my screen name, its just Bret Wade backwards, who is my very much loved little man child. :pride:

I still had to go for portable so I've got a timeline delay, an empress compressor and para eq, a luna od, had a George Dennis wah, EB jr volume, polytune pedal, and are you ready.......a tubemeister 36 head with accompanying 1X12 with a v30 and I have a 2x12 bogner cab. I spent an hour on this little head and I went.....here we go again. I might change the preamp tubes to tame a little fizz on the higher gain stuff but all and all I loved it. Will I love it 6 months or a year...IDK but I took the plunge. Quite honestly I got to where I spent so much time tweaking that I needed a change in scenery.

Love my Tubmeister 18. Definitely a nice sounding amp with some cool features. I just can't bring myself to go back to pedal board, cabling, power supplies, tap dancing, bypass loopers, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You gotta go where it takes you. It's has to feel right and it has to be fun. Good luck, Bret!

Made the same choice about a year ago, the Ultra just didn't work for me in the end, and I no longer have to worry about 'updating'. I've just decided a kick ass tube amp and a 'very few' pedals get me much further along then the Axe-Fx did in the three or so years I tried to make it work.

Sad to see people leave the fold, however im curious to what your finding in an amp sound that is so out of the realms of what the axe can offer

Since this is a purely tone thing, would you be able to post a clip of your amp sound when your up and running?

personally for me, there is enough tones and close-enough to keep me happy

however the biggest advantage i find with the axe is being able to program up scenes of completely different amps and affects into each song/s on the touch of a pedal

my songs can surf over 30 years of amps and effects effortlessly via 1 single foot pedal, creating a sound-scape of awesome

Sad to see people leave the fold, however im curious to what your finding in an amp sound that is so out of the realms of what the axe can offer

Since this is a purely tone thing, would you be able to post a clip of your amp sound when your up and running?

personally for me, there is enough tones and close-enough to keep me happy

however the biggest advantage i find with the axe is being able to program up scenes of completely different amps and affects into each song/s on the touch of a pedal

my songs can surf over 30 years of amps and effects effortlessly via 1 single foot pedal, creating a sound-scape of awesome

I suppose in a nutshell, the axe just provides to many options for my "squirrel" mind and I too often go down the road of eternal tweaking instead of just playing. At this stage of the game I just want a good sounding head with a good delay and compressor and 1 or 2 drive pedals

Back
Top Bottom