• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Your reason/justifcation for buying more guitars? help!!

vejichan

Inspired
Question to people who own lots of guitars. How do you justify to your family and yourself on buying more guitars? - I used to own 20 guitars all in standard E tuning ...of which i woke up one morning and realize i basically only played the same 2 out of the 20 guitars- conclusion sold all of them and now own 3 custom guitars in different tunings - 1 in Standard E/ Drop D, 1 in Eb/ drop C#, 1 in D standard/drop C ---each guitar has a purpose and gets used equally because of the tuning- trying to convince the misses on buying one more guitar? but she asks why? I have been dealing with gear acquisition syndrome all my life, it got better after i had kids but now it's BACK!!HELP!

Question to people who own lots of guitars. How do you justify to your family and yourself on buying more guitars? - I used to own 20 guitars all in standard E tuning ...of which i woke up one morning and realize i basically only played the same 2 out of the 20 guitars- conclusion sold all of them and now own 3 custom guitars in different tunings - 1 in Standard E/ Drop D, 1 in Eb/ drop C#, 1 in D standard/drop C ---each guitar has a purpose and gets used equally because of the tuning- trying to convince the misses on buying one more guitar? but she asks why? I have been dealing with gear acquisition syndrome all my life, it got better after i had kids but now it's BACK!!HELP!
I can just speak for me. I realized that I‘m not a collector etc. and that a guitar is just a tool for me. And the amount of money is better spend into a new home etc.
(Some have maybe heard about the flooding in Germany)
So honestly I don’t need more than three different guitars, why?
I have one main guitar, a second one as a backup for live gigs an a third one for an alternate tuning (even this one is not necessary anymore with the virtual capo)
So I reduced all my guitars to three and I couldn’t be happier.

If all you are looking for is an excuse to buy more:

Fret wear
Mojo and inspiration
Different construction (neck thru, bolt on, wood type, neck profile, ECT.)
Good price

As Spock would say...'it's only logical!'

GS_FlowChart_TooManyGuitars.jpg

I play a rotation of about 6 guitars but I own 26. Oh and I have owned more than 200 and as a full time repair tech for over 30 years I have played everything out there (literally thousands). I also get high end vintage and famous guitars regularly. I can honestly say there or no better guitars on the planet than the ones I own now IME (for the type I have.) By this I mean that there is not a better sounding or playing strat in existence than the one I have ( equal but not better.) People may disagree but nobody does, in fact I have a list of people wanting to buy them if I ever decide to let them go. Same goes for my others, they are all bought because they were exceptional examples and/or I have made them that way. Anything that doesn't measure up goes. I obviously realise that everybody is different and may want different things but I am talking about best for ME combined with flawless function within the parameters of the design.

I'm not going to be much help. I have too many guitars. I know I have too many guitars, and yet I still window shop quite a bit. Ever so often, I get within a mouse-click of buying another...and then stop. Because I have too many guitars!

I have probably close to 50+ guitars, 30+ amps and almost every version of every modeler out there. I get to perform in my band with my wife which I have nicknamed "the enabler" :) I love her to death. She will actually go out on FB marketplace and find things for me. "Is this a good deal and do you want it?" Me..."Yes, and yes I do.."

I have probably close to 50+ guitars, 30+ amps and almost every version of every modeler out there. I get to perform in my band with my wife which I have nicknamed "the enabler" :) I love her to death. She will actually go out on FB marketplace and find things for me. "Is this a good deal and do you want it?" Me..."Yes, and yes I do.."
My wife is the same. Recently, in one of my window shopping sprees, I showed her two guitars I was thinking about and asked which of them she thought I should make an offer on. She said, without a hint of sarcasm, get both of them. 😍

I passed on both.

My wife is the same. Recently, in one of my window shopping sprees, I showed her two guitars I was thinking about and asked which of them she thought I should make an offer on. She said, without a hint of sarcasm, get both of them. 😍

I passed on both.
Love it! I found a sunburst Gibby Firebird on the Craigslist that I love a few years ago. So she went online and bought a brand new Pelham blue one for me because she liked the color :)

And no she doesn't have any sisters...My musician friends already asked haha

Because I work hard to provide for my family and after all their needs are met, I like to be able to treat myself to things I enjoy

For some people maybe that is buying tickets to a football game, others is a new boat or rounds of golf.

I like to stay home and play guitar. Probably cheaper than a lot of hobbies lol

I passed on both.
Ha! My wife did this at the start of the pandemic - I was considering either a Strandberg Classic 6 or a Standard 8 and she goes "why not both?" 🥰

Own the amount of guitars that makes you happy. For some guys that's one guitar and for others it could be ten or a hundred. No need to justify buying a guitar any more than you would justify going out for a pizza(as long as the bills are paid).

My usual reasoning is for different tunings but I also flip/offload guitars somewhat regularly to continue my search for the best guitars I can find. So I'll usually have a few on the chopping block in case I see something of interest, in which case I'll pick up the new one and trial it against what I have and whichever plays and feels best stays in the guitar rack, the other one gets sold so I dont really have an accumulating collection, more of a rotating one.

There are some that I will not let go for one reason or another, outside of those it comes down to how they play. Though recently I've been considering offloading 2 to fund a custom build as I've never owned a custom and as it stands I have some doubled up tunings so could "afford" the trade off.

Aside from all that I just fucking love guitars 🤷‍♂️

OK first reply was little fun.

I own 3 good midprice guitars and 3 lowprice where 2 from are used to test modifying or for spare parts.

I play the 3 good ones more or less regularly and need really 2 because as backup for gigs.

If I buy a new one I sell at least one every time.

But if money is not the deal my wife didn't complain because I also do not when she wants something she do not really need but money is not needed for urgent stuff.

Mate, that right there means you've found a Unicorn.

My OH is pretty laid back about my gear purchases, but WOW!

How I "justified" buying new guitars recently, is, partly because I hadn't bought a guitar in over 2 decades, and partly because I get a nice Christmas gift each year, so it didn't make me feel uncomfortable. Now I'm set on gear to the point I've decided unless I sell something that's not being used, which is a fair amount now that I have an Axe III, I'm not buying anything else. Since I don't earn any money from my guitar-playing "hobby," for me personally, I don't feel real comfortable with any gear purchase over a thousand dollars, unless I have a nice savings cushion. For me, savings always comes first, before buying anything that's not absolutely necessary. I don't ever want to find myself in a position where I'm forced to sell gear to pay bills, so I try to be prudent with spending money on gear.

I may do the pair down to one above-the-rest, but I'd need a benchmark to stick around. No band means a lot of time to wonder about guitars.

I don’t think it needs justification outside of the financial impact to your household. And everyone’s situation is different. With that said, I’ve noticed over the years that a lot of musicians….they really don’t have other vices if you will. Music is my thing. I don’t gamble. I’m not out at bars watching the games. Etc etc. if I could afford to have multiple guitars great. But I’ve been strategic in what I have acquired. I treated myself to a Taylor acoustic a few years ago. I have a strat, a Les Paul and a prs. All serve a purpose and I feel I can cover any ground with what I have. Could I do with one? Sure. But the only other guitar I would LIKE to have is Floyd rose equipped one. Miss my Ibanez from way back. Lol. In any event, do you man. Don’t listen to anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom