Your favorite Daw

I’m a PC guy… I started with Logic when it was a part of a package deal with a Roland digital mixer.

I moved to Sonar Platinum back around 2014-15. Gibson in their infinite wisdom killed it, then BandLab took it over. Now it’s free.

I started using Reaper about 2 years ago.

I’ve been passively shopping for a new DAW. Here are some things I’ve learned, through research or trial and error.

Pro Tools though has been the industry standard for years, is really only holding on to that title because so many pro studios are based around it. Feature wise, it’s really falling behind many DAWs out there.

Ableton is great, but better suited for applications where you are integrating pre recorded and sequenced tracks in with live performance.

Cubase and Presonus are about equal.

Reaper is surprisingly good, very customizable but lacking in included goodies and it’s midi could be much better.

Cakewalk (formerly sonar which was formerly Cakewalk) is basically the red head step child of the DAW world. It’s kind of regarded as a joke or a step up from garage band. But the thing is that a lot of the features I’ve seen DAWs touting in their latest couple of versions have been in Sonar since before the dump. This means they were easily at the very least 5-6 years ahead, a decade in some cases. It’s a shame that it doesn’t get much real development any more, for as good as it can be it’s aging and having some stability issues.

I honestly think that DAWs, with the notable exception of Reaper are all over priced.
FWIW… if Logic were PC compatible again, I would jump on it.

Bitwig Studio. It used to be Live, but when I got a MPE controller (Roli) the hoops I had to jump though to get it to work correctly were ridiculous. Getting a keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch (GEM S2) was the nail in the coffin, as Live 9 and earlier didn’t even support that. I miss a few things about Live, but Bitwig is amazing, especially how things can be modulated. It’s basically a modular system with a built in DAW.

Been using Studio One since the Cakewalk / Gibson thing. I still go back to Cakewalk for some things. I enjoy Samplitude and Harrison as well.

Nuendo 12 here. I started off on Pro Tools, but Cubase ended up working better for my setup. Pro Tools was always too finicky to be useful. I told myself that I would learn Reaper because it seem like the DAW of the future, I just can't bring myself to learning a new DAW when I already know how to do everything that I do with Cubase/Nuendo.

Was a long time pro tools user , until the $400 a year support for a perpetual license wasn’t worth what I got.
Supports answer for an issue I had was to reformat my hard drive. $400 a year very very poor support for their product.
So l moved on Studio One is where im at now . at least it works

I make recordings on my PC to backing tracks (I usually get the tracks from karaoke version). It's an enjoyable hobby. I use Reaper.

I make recordings on my PC to backing tracks (I usually get the tracks from karaoke version). It's an enjoyable hobby. I use Reaper.
I do a lot of the same, although I use Calkwalk by BandLab.

But, with BandLab's decision to discontinue it, I'm giving considering moving to Presonus' Studio One. (already have a Presonus interface and Eris monitors)

+1. Looking forward to v13 (whenever it's released).
Here’s what Steinberg support told me about Cubase 13 last Thursday:

”Cubase 13 was scheduled to be released a week or more ago, but they are waiting, potentially on the new webstore, so it may be a few more weeks. Not certain.”

Reaper for me. I was a Cakewalk user back in the day, tried Cubase as well, switched to Reaper and really there's no reason for me to even try anything else as it just works flawlessly.

Here’s what Steinberg support told me about Cubase 13 last Thursday:

”Cubase 13 was scheduled to be released a week or more ago, but they are waiting, potentially on the new webstore, so it may be a few more weeks. Not certain.”
Cubase 13 released today.

Back
Top Bottom