Your experience with 4CM and Axe FX II

GuillaumeF

Dear friends,

I am the happy owner of an Axe-FX II and a Mesa Boogie Roaster 2x12' combo. I intend to use the Axe together with the Mesa using the 4CM method for most of the time while I also would like sometimes to by-pass the Mesa' preamp and use the simulation upfront, however always using the power section of the amplifier.

Does any of you do anything similar with his Axe FX and in case positive are they Do's and Don't's that you would recommend ?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

I use the 4CM with a Bogner XTC. It works pretty good. I have the loop in the amp set to serial. The master volumes on the front of the Axe turned all the way up. I turn all channel volumes on the Bogner up till it tickles the red on the Axe channel 2 input LEDs. I find having the master volumes turned up all the way on the axe makes it easier when you want to use either the amps pre-amp or the axe for a preamp. When I create patches I just match the output level of the axe with preamp level from the amp. This way I can go back and forth and only use the amps master volume for overall volume control for both.

But, the downside to the 4cm is noise so I put a noise gate right before the loop block and that seems to take care of a good portion of the noise .

I did the 4CM with an XTC as well and it worked quite well - Goldtop4G63 laid out some good guidance.

I can't stress enough how important the humbuster cables are - they make a huge difference depending on the amp.

Thanks for your feedback to you both.

I can't stress enough how important the humbuster cables are - they make a huge difference depending on the amp.

Any recommendation from your side there ? Especially concerned by the fact that the in and outs on the Axe are balenced while the FX loop on the Mesa is not...

Thanks for your feedback to you both.

Any recommendation from your side there ? Especially concerned by the fact that the in and outs on the Axe are balenced while the FX loop on the Mesa is not...

The effects loop send on the Axe is not balanced. The return is balanced but that doesn't mean it requires a balanced signal - just that it takes advantage of it. I made my own humbuster cables. I never even tried 4CM without it. Cliff said "do it this way" so that's what I did.

I used to run 4-cable method from an Ultra into a Road King 2 head with a THD cab. I had no problems with hum or connections. It sounded great.

It was confusing to use though, with a FCB controller for the AXE and the Road King foot switch. And it weighed a ton.

I love that Road King amp, but I haven't used it since I switched to FRFR with a Verve FBT powered monitor. That dropped about 70 pounds from my rig and to me, it sounds better.

Will report back. My axe required factory modification designed to make it more compatible with my "high gain" Egnater Mod 50 amp. I'll let you know when it comes back and I have some time to test it. Some users love it, some (like me) don't...

Back
Top Bottom