Your Best Buys in 2013?

1) Zexcoil pups. Revolutionary. Turned my main axe into so much more than it was!
2) Liquid Foot LF+Pro+ - yeah, the switches still ain't what I'd call 'silent' or even 'near silent' (FET OPTION PLEASE!), but there's not a lot this thing can't do. The power of it, the depth of Jeff's firmware, the software editor, are all amazing! And it's a sexy beast.
3) Chameleon 7602 MkII Preamp/DI with Xmod (i.e. vintage spec transformer). Smooth, buttery, musical and capable EQ, this thing is a steal for the price and VERY close to a vintage Neve (possibly closer than the more expensive Vintech). I posted a review of this on the site in the Lounge.
4) Mjoave Audio MA-300 large condenser tube with continuously-variable polar pattern (from figure 8 to omni and everywhere in between). I also reviewed this in the Lounge. Fantastic mic for $1300.00. Don't like the way it looks, but I love the way it sounds. Design based on their MA-200, which was designed by Dave Royer. 'Professor' Royer knows vintage Neumann's, and this thing, though it is not attempting to be a 'clone' of any particular vintage mic, has their vibe down. Luscious yet precise. Continuous pattern is VERY useful too.

Last edited:
mine...
tele_gib1_zpsd0a93ed4.jpg

3 of the 4 are this year alone... the white blonde cij tele and the 2 les pauls
plus an ibanez at10p
really hope my better half never finds out...;-)

Well she's bound to find out if you keep laying them out on the floor like that! ;)

Last edited:
For all you forumites putting down Logic X as your best buy of 2013 -- were you coming from Logic 9? GarageBand? Something else? No previous DAW?

I'm still running 9 and...every time I go to spend $200 on X I figure I have better use for $200...

$200.00 is cheap for this upgrade IMO. And it is a serious upgrade. Like or not the darker look, there's definitely a better interface, very usable flex and pitch algorithms, the sound library is worth more than $200 bucks just by itself. And the recent 10.0.5 fixes pretty much anything that still made Pro X a "public Beta" product.

Now I'm not a money making guy with Logic. I only gig live and do very few recordings. I could probably get by with Garage Band for my DAW needs. But I've been using Logic for various composing and mixing needs since 2000 so I'm used to the system and I like it better than pro tools. So take my opinion with a grain of salt. But whatever it's worth, I still stand by my choice to upgrade and certainly do not regret it. Going back to 9 to work on some projects feels clunky now. YMMV ... :)

OP sez "over AxeFxII"... and make sense!
But... my 2013 best buy IS AxeFxII!!! ... and ALL the related cab packs on the market (RW,OH, FAS)
My roadmap for 2014 is: to sell a lot of stuff and gear ... and to buy:
- Atomic CLR (amped) edge
- Matrix GT1000FX and two Matrix edge passive monitors
- MFC101 and 4 Mission Engineer pedals (1 switch; 1 spring loaded; 2 free)

Logic Pro X from 9. Great value.

Ableton Live and PUSH, plus McMillan 12 Step controller and Korg Nano Kontrol 2 for live use.

Matrix NL12.

LR Baggs I-Beam for my busking acoustic. 12-24 volt Sure 2x100 watt class D power amp for the lightweight, very loud busking rig I'm making.

Danelectro for slide.

P-Audio BM2-D450 (BM-D450) 1" Compression Driver 8Ohm, Link Dynamics LDX29 2-way Crossover 1.6KHz and Monacor AT-62SK Volume Level Control, plus PAUPH170 PH170 1 inch Bolt On Horn Flare
+ marine ply, Tolex and blackboard paint for a horn unit to convert my EV cab to sort-of-FRFR.
Result: very loud, plays cab sims perfectly well,
with two further unpredicted benefits: turns my 2x12 E120 cab into both a killer FOH/PA cab and killer bass rig (albeit very heavy...)

#1 - some simple hand tools for my youngest. That, of course, cut down on my guitar time... "Dad, can you help me build a xxx?"
#2 - a little $100 Yamaha mixer for my studio to replace a failing unit.
#3 - a "temporary" 27' swimming pool (homeowners association does not allow permanent above ground pools - grrr). Results? Lots of work, fun with pool chemicals, sunburn, pruned skin, and plenty of laughter.

Well... It was quite an end of the year in the gear.
I sold almost everything that did not have strings on it to fund what I did below in December.
I had lots of vacation days to learn the ins & outs of the AXEFXII......
I have been very happy with the purchases.

Hear we go:

Chafin Fuegobird (body style of a Firebird) - In horrible need of a fret level & set up when I bought it. Mike Koontz brought it back to life.. Best made guitar I own. The photo is of the actual guitar. The serial # is 1.....Fuego.jpg

Fractal Axe FX II & the MFC-101

Yamaha HS8 monitors

Atomic CLR Active Cab

Ernie Ball Axis - 2002 Burnt Apple

Imac I7 - 16GB RAM

Also love V-picks. I have two Red Bears that I just can't get used to. The V-picks stick better.

I also tried a BC Jazz 50 BlueChip pick. The Jazz 50 is an outstanding pick that seems to last forever, yet I have bonded with the V-pick 'lite' small.

In 2013 I changed my guitar setup / mods / tech to Joe Glaser in Nashville, TN, USA.

Just killer. My instruments have never played so true and in tune. I did not know what I was missing on some of these. Prices are great too.

The only PITA is, it is a 2 hr drive one-way for me, but that's not the shop's fault! :)

+1. Professional Guitar Setup is superiour priority. i gave my Premium RG927QM to my Guitar teacher for Setup, and now the Guitar's feel and playability is excellent. Was worth every Buck, just like having a totally different, new High-Quality-Shred-Monster... I was thrilled about the difference ....

Suhr M5
Matrix GT800FX
Matrix NL212
A bunch of Superior Drummer add-ons.

Enjoying everything, best guitar I've ever played and with the amp and cab, I get to spend more time playing, less time tweaking.

Funny, I had thought of posting such a thread, but here it is :)

CLR active wedges (x3)
All OwnHammer MIX series IR's

The CLR's and the OwnHammer has made my rig significantly better than it was before.

- apart from that I sold a shxxload of gear, and traded for a Underwood 50's strat and a very sweet Gibson J45 TV

Happy New Year to everybody

Last edited:
wheew what a year . I started this year out with a sizable amount of cash to invest in some dreams one of which was to build a studio , so I bought , Mics , monitors , desk , computer , interface , midi keyboard , Mesa Road King 4X12 for my triple Rec , AXE FX , EV - ZLX 15 p . DAW software Superior Drummer etc etc etc . Oh and an Ibanez to add to my small guitar collection .
Now I get to devote ALL of 2014 learning how to use all this stuff !!!
Happy new year everyone I hope it is a Great one for all .

Back
Top Bottom