IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
If you want to sound natural, don't use high cuts... just tweak your amp's middle, treble, and presence settings like you would on a real amp. We don't have a high cut control when using real amps and cabs, and probably don't ask the sound guy to cut highs in our monitor... we simply turn the knobs to get the response we want. Tweak the amp for what you're hearing instead of compensating for bright amp settings by chopping off the mic'd cab's natural frequency information.

If you turn your middle, treble, and presence knobs to zero, your tone will be unusably dark. So any piercing highs are coming from the amp's settings or a monitor that isn't actually "flat" that's enhancing harsh frequencies.

I toured and did session work for over 25 years and never had anyone put a high cut on my guitar. When I started using an Axe-Fx and cut the highs (like everyone told me to do), my FOH guy always had to boost a ton of top end to make my guitar sit well with the tube amp guys on stage. When I took the high cut off, he didn't touch the EQ on my channel and my guitar sounded fantastic in the mix. Players and FOH guys from other bands were always coming up to me and asking about my rig because it always sounded massive through the PA.

You can also try a darker mic placement like a "CN" or "OA" capture. In any case, amp settings aren't welded into place. So twist some knobs like the real thing and you'll get great results... as long as your monitoring source is accurate.
Thank you so much Justin!
Now I’m using only surgical cuts with the Parametric EQ and it just sounds epic.
I used high cuts before and it doesn’t sound „right“ or natural to me.
But now using surgical cuts and a low cut makes everything pleasant and natural.
Thank you!

Sorry for being absent. I'm working with four companies at the moment, and it's just a lot for one person to handle. The first DynaCab pack should be out soon, and I have more standard packs in the works as well.
Inner rationalizing voice 1: Purchase a couple of 2x12 packs and a 1x12 pack for reference in dialing in DynaCabs...
Inner critic 1: But, but... Sigh.

Looking forward to everything in the works! Best, Daniel

Last edited:
Sorry for being absent. I'm working with four companies at the moment, and it's just a lot for one person to handle. The first DynaCab pack should be out soon, and I have more standard packs in the works as well.

I'm not yet sold on the DynaCab ecosystem personally, I still prefer the open architecture of a library of WAV files, although the usability of the DynaCab approach is obviously undeniable.

So I'm hoping a G12-65/Heritage G12-65 2x12 or 4x12 cab is still at the top of your list for standard cab packs!

Can this cab also be recommended for a Slo 100? Or is there a more suitable cab for it? I currently use the York 212 M65 Cream. I mainly use HH guitars (Les Paul/PRS)
And when you use the Soldano, do you set a high-low cut and if so, in which range?
I was very surprised by Justin's post

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...st-cab-pack-kw-412-m25-sh.156603/post-2507630

I thought the high low cuts were the secret recipe for a good sound but I value his opinion, he is Mr. Miyagi to me.
To my ears the Soldano sounds good without low cut to get more low end but with high cut at 8000 and all controls at noon but you Justin do exactly the opposite and you definitely know more than I do I'm just very confused because I thought I knew at least a little bit about it.

Here are several questions at once, sorry for this unstructured post

Last edited:
Can this cab also be recommended for a Slo 100? Or is there a more suitable cab for it? I currently use the York 212 M65 Cream. I mainly use HH guitars (Les Paul/PRS)
And when you use the Soldano, do you set a high-low cut and if so, in which range?
I was very surprised by Justin's post

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...st-cab-pack-kw-412-m25-sh.156603/post-2507630

I thought the high low cuts were the secret recipe for a good sound but I value his opinion, he is Mr. Miyagi to me.
To my ears the Soldano sounds good without low cut to get more low end but with high cut at 8000 and all controls at noon but you Justin do exactly the opposite and you definitely know more than I do I'm just very confused because I thought I knew at least a little bit about it.

Here are several questions at once, sorry for this unstructured post
The SLO is an amp that sounds great with pretty much any cab IMO. I use that amp for most of the high gain demos on my site because it plays so nicely with different cabs and speakers, so yes, it sounds great with the KW as well.

When it comes to cuts, leave them off while you're dialing in your amp. Sometimes I'll use a low cut anywhere between 60Hz-100Hz if the tone needs it, but reaching for cuts should be a final touch (if necessary) rather than a starting point. I NEVER use high cuts.

Thank you Justin, but one more question

High Cut vs Treble/Presence = Treble/Presence wins
But
Low Cut vs Bass = Low Cut wins
Why?

By the way

I like the SM57v (Unidyne III SM57) very much,
The Vintage 57 gives the sound an even more natural character and is more open, in my opinion this mic gets too little recognition
The mix 57v + 121 is the best in my opinion in every pack where it exist
It is WOW

Thank you Justin, but one more question

High Cut vs Treble/Presence = Treble/Presence wins
But
Low Cut vs Bass = Low Cut wins
Why?

By the way

I like the SM57v (Unidyne III SM57) very much,
The Vintage 57 gives the sound an even more natural character and is more open, in my opinion this mic gets too little recognition
The mix 57v + 121 is the best in my opinion in every pack where it exist
It is WOW
Remember to dial in your amps first with the cuts OFF and only use them if you need them. I don't use high cuts because the treble, presence, and middle (in some amps) have a lot of top end shaping abilities. 9 times out of 10, the energy in the top end will be a positive thing in the context of a mix.

I always adjust bass and depth for the low end, but the low end varies from amp to amp. For instance, a Dual Rec has a lot of subby lows that might benefit from cleaning it up with a little low cut after dialing in the amp, but a JCM 800 is substantially thinner in the low end and might not need a low cut at all.

Cuts are just more tools in the tool belt. If it's the right tool for the job, go ahead and use it. If you've dialed in your amp and it sounds great without them, then keep them off.

Back
Top Bottom