IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
I can't find my release notes and am curious. Anyone know what mics were used for Mix 03 in the Mesa 2x12 pack? I'm pretty sure 01 is a 57+121 blend but i'm not sure on 03. Thanks!

I can't find my release notes and am curious. Anyone know what mics were used for Mix 03 in the Mesa 2x12 pack? I'm pretty sure 01 is a 57+121 blend but i'm not sure on 03. Thanks!
I believe if it’s what I have it’s a 421+57

For experienced York Audio IR users. What are your go-to IRS from each of the york audio packs? i find i'm always reaching for either mix01 or mix02. I actually have IRs from different york audio packs of only mix01 and mix02. So i just cycle thru a few irs before settling on what i like. Which is either the mix01 or mix 02 from the Mesa 412 OS-v2 pack or from the Mesa 212 V30. What packs and specific irs are your go-to's?
I usually go with mix 1 of all of them , but mix 5 of the EVH and Bogna are standouts. Also the JP for the Mesa OS and PX from the Friedman are standouts.

I usually go with mix 1 of all of them , but mix 5 of the EVH and Bogna are standouts. Also the JP for the Mesa OS and PX from the Friedman are standouts.
I've been using only mix 01 or mix 03 from the packs i own. Here lately i've been trying the sm57m 01 single shot. By myself the mixes are more full but in band context i prefer the single 57. It cuts and sounds great without to much low end/low mid flub.

Do you guys use different YA IRs for recording vs frfr for amp in the room feeling at rehearshal?

At home for practicing and recording, with headphones, I just love the YA Mesa 2x12 Mix1. It's the perfect IR for me, surprisingly better than the YA Mesa 4x12 as I like it's bass response and clarity better to sit in the mix, even when I'm more used to my old and no longer owned Mesa Oversized 4x12 cab.

With my band (We play alt rock/metal, kind of Breaking Benjamin/Chevelle/Alter Bridge) at our rehearsal place, I'm still mentally transitioning from my old Diezel Einstein head + Mesa Oversized 4x12 to the FM3 + Yamaha DHR12M frfr monitor. The other guitarist in my band uses an Helix + tube power amp + Marshal 4x12. Using my go to amps (Herbert or Archon) and the YA Mesa 2x12 I was totally lost in the mix when we played loud. Even my band members asked me to raise my volume, but I sounded so thin and solid state vs my old setup or the other guitar player. I tried plenty of things on the fly, like adding more bass and more mids to the amps, play with the low/high cut at the cab block, but it all just made me sound muddier while still lost in the mix unless I raised the volume a lot to compensate. I tried the YA Mesa 4x12 and while having more body than the 2x12, still could not hear myself properly. Also tried some dynacabs but had no time to properly dial them with the rest of the band waiting for me.

Then I tried the YA BGNR 4x12 Mix 1 and WOW! My old Mesa 4x12 cab sound and amp in the room feeling was just there! Even my band members told me hey, now you really raised your volume, that Yamaha frfr sounds like a 4x12 cab! and I had not raised it, it was just that I was no longer lost in the mix with that IR.

Then back at home I tried that preset with headphones and... it sounded dark, muddy with way too much bass like I remembered it, much worse for me than with the YA Mesa 2x12. I'm not sure if it's just because the BGNR just sounds way bigger at high volume while too dark at low volume and the other way around with the Mesa 2x12 (Fletcher Munson??). All these three IRs (Mesa 2x12, Mesa 4x12 and BGNR 4x12) are based on V30s if I'm not mistaken, so the differences (besides different v30s) must be on the cabs build/size or the IR recording as Mix 1 in all them use the same 57/121 mic combinations.

So It seems that by now my go to IRs will be the YA Mesa 2x12 at home/PA and the BGNR 4x12 for rehearsal/live when going through my frfr. I need to tweak more, maybe I can dial the OS 2x12 to add whatever was missing from the BGNR or the other way around but... by now i'll just use different IRs based on the situation.

Anybody else having a similar experiences?

Last edited:
Do you guys use different YA IRs for recording vs frfr for amp in the room feeling at rehearshal?

At home for practicing and recording, with headphones, I just love the YA Mesa 2x12 Mix1. It's the perfect IR for me, surprisingly better than the YA Mesa 4x12 as I like it's bass response and clarity better to sit in the mix, even when I'm more used to my old and no longer owned Mesa Oversized 4x12 cab.

With my band (We play alt rock/metal, kind of Breaking Benjamin/Chevelle/Alter Bridge) at our rehearsal place, I'm still mentally transitioning from my old Diezel Einstein head + Mesa Oversized 4x12 to the FM3 + Yamaha DHR12M frfr monitor. The other guitarist in my band uses an Helix + tube power amp + Marshal 4x12. Using my go to amps (Herbert or Archon) and the YA Mesa 2x12 I was totally lost in the mix when we played loud. Even my band members asked me to raise my volume, but I sounded so thin and solid state vs my old setup or the other guitar player. I tried plenty of things on the fly, like adding more bass and more mids to the amps, play with the low/high cut at the cab block, but it all just made me sound muddier while still lost in the mix unless I raised the volume a lot to compensate. I tried the YA Mesa 4x12 and while having more body than the 2x12, still could not hear myself properly. Also tried some dynacabs but had no time to properly dial them with the rest of the band waiting for me.

Then I tried the YA BGNR 4x12 Mix 1 and WOW! My old Mesa 4x12 cab sound and amp in the room feeling was just there! Even my band members told me hey, now you really raised your volume, that Yamaha frfr sounds like a 4x12 cab! and I had not raised it, it was just that I was no longer lost in the mix with that IR.

Then back at home I tried that preset with headphones and... it sounded dark, muddy with way too much bass like I remembered it, much worse for me than with the YA Mesa 2x12. I'm not sure if it's just because the BGNR just sounds way bigger at high volume while too dark at low volume and the other way around with the Mesa 2x12 (Fletcher Munson??). All these three IRs (Mesa 2x12, Mesa 4x12 and BGNR 4x12) are based on V30s if I'm not mistaken, so the differences (besides different v30s) must be on the cabs build/size or the IR recording as Mix 1 in all them use the same 57/121 mic combinations.

So It seems that by now my go to IRs will be the YA Mesa 2x12 at home/PA and the BGNR 4x12 for rehearsal/live when going through my frfr. I need to tweak more, maybe I can dial the OS 2x12 to add whatever was missing from the BGNR or the other way around but... by now i'll just use different IRs based on the situation.

I'm doing the exact same thing as you. I find something i like IR wise. Dial in a patch at rehearsal volume and try it at practice. I've got 3 presets that are basically the same asides from the IR used. I level match them at home and at band practice i play a part of our song with the band while switching from preset to preset. I listen in real time to what pops out in the mix more. I have a similar issue. I'm using YA IR's also. I've had luck switching from the mixes to single 57 IR's. The mixes sound bigger at home but what i've found is for me the single 57 cuts better in the band senario. Let me know what you find. I'm narrowed down to about 4 amps but the IR search is every changing. Lol. Maybe Justin will chime in and give us some advice.

It could also be a matter of your other guitarist using a full 412 cabinet vs the Yamaha FRFR. Obviously with that, you're comparing a real 412 guitar cab vs a floor monitor with one speaker, so I would assume that getting that cut and sound and response probably has more to do with a real cabinet vs an FRFR. That being said, if it sounds closer with another IR, then cool! I would assume that's the biggest difference though; the FRFR trying to compete with the 412 (not necessarily volume wise, but sound dispersion and frequency range wise.

I agree with @Thenewexhibit that a big factor is an FRFR cab vs a 4x12. Your bandmate is getting a lot more sound dispersion with four 12" speakers pointing outward than the single 12" Yamaha pointing up at you. Also, there's a good chance your DHR12M has some coloration to it that isn't present in your studio monitors.

I recommend NOT using any high cuts and simply dialing in the amp model at band practice just like you would with a real amp. Cutting top end is the quickest way to get lost in a mix. If you need to cut more in the mix, try a single mic like the 57m or 58. I'd listen to the 1, 2, 3, and CN captures of those mics and pick the one with your favorite character.

The amp modeling is accurate and the IRs are accurate. So treat your Fractal rig like a real rig. Using an IR of a single mic (or a Mix with two dynamic mics) sounds the same as that mic mic-up on a real cab and will help you stand out in the mix. Some players like the more balanced sound of a Mix and others like the more focused sound of a single mic.

I hope this helps.

I agree with @Thenewexhibit that a big factor is an FRFR cab vs a 4x12. Your bandmate is getting a lot more sound dispersion with four 12" speakers pointing outward than the single 12" Yamaha pointing up at you. Also, there's a good chance your DHR12M has some coloration to it that isn't present in your studio monitors.

I recommend NOT using any high cuts and simply dialing in the amp model at band practice just like you would with a real amp. Cutting top end is the quickest way to get lost in a mix. If you need to cut more in the mix, try a single mic like the 57m or 58. I'd listen to the 1, 2, 3, and CN captures of those mics and pick the one with your favorite character.

The amp modeling is accurate and the IRs are accurate. So treat your Fractal rig like a real rig. Using an IR of a single mic (or a Mix with two dynamic mics) sounds the same as that mic mic-up on a real cab and will help you stand out in the mix. Some players like the more balanced sound of a Mix and others like the more focused sound of a single mic.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply!

I'm really surprised about your suggestion of not cutting high end (that for sure will try at next reherashal), as I see in a lot of threads about frfr that others are applying heavy cuts, down to like 5k or even lower to smooth the harshness of frfr vs real cabs. Does it apply mainly to recording/going through PA and not to band rehearsal situations where the frfr monitor is your main sound amp?

Sample of it being discussed here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/low-and-high-cut-for-live-performance.200541/

Last edited:
Agree, hearing really mixed messages about this, unless the distinction is that you need all that paint-peeling high end live, but don't want it in the studio.

Live, direct to FOH, no high end cut only brings unecessary painful highs, very ice piercing, no matter the IR used and no matter the setting of the amp.

I play most of the time direct to FOH, and with YA IR, but I can't play with no high cut, I've tried but it's so harsh and agressive, it sounds not natural at all.

Sound engineers always apply Low and High cut to a miced real guitar cab, no matter the mics positions, so do I with my Axe, sometimes until 6000/7000 Hz and nearly always at 80/100 Hz, it only depend of the IR or amp I use.

I can set the BMT of the amp naturally as with a real amp and I have no problem at all to be heard in the mix, the sound is much more natural, as with a real amp+cab, it can be smooth or not, as I want, using more or less Treble and Presence controls.

For recordings, I usually use a low cut and sometimes some high cuts but not as drastic as Live, only a little.

Back
Top Bottom