IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
If you know Scott a little bit, he’s the person that likes the expression “thing done right”. So this is very promising and inspiring coming from him. Not something purely with comercial intent.

View attachment 119302
He’s a great guy. When he first approached me about capturing his cab, it came from a place of sadness in mourning his friend, Kerry Wright who had recently passed away, and wanted to find a way for “his work to live on.”

I was honored that he chose me to be the one to capture the cab since he had some pretty big companies offering to capture it for him. It took a while to figure out the logistics, vision, and a plan to make it all happen, but it was worth it. I always make these things hoping they connect with people, and just grateful that they’re resonating with him so much and that he’s actually using them for recording. It’s been an encouraging time.

Bought the new pack, just because I wanna hear Scott Henderson's favourite IR.
Thanks for grabbing it! Just make sure you give your tone control some love when using the Scott Henderson folder. That’s a BIG part of how he gets his tones. ;)

He’s a great guy. When he first approached me about capturing his cab, it came from a place of sadness in mourning his friend, Kerry Wright who had recently passed away, and wanted to find a way for “his work to live on.”

I was honored that he chose me to be the one to capture the cab since he had some pretty big companies offering to capture it for him. It took a while to figure out the logistics, vision, and a plan to make it all happen, but it was worth it. I always make these things hoping they connect with people, and just grateful that they’re resonating with him so much and that he’s actually using them for recording. It’s been an encouraging time.

Thanks for grabbing it! Just make sure you give your tone control some love when using the Scott Henderson folder. That’s a BIG part of how he gets his tones. ;)
This is deep.

This cab pack is absolutely fantastic. I love Greenbacks but I have always had to mix them with other speakers to fill out the low mids to my taste. I loaded up the 160-1 IR and immediately had the frequency response I wanted across the spectrum. Tried several of the other mics and while they sound good, I came right back to this IR. With the Basketweave SIC and low frequency set at 115 it sounds absolutely massive with the Dirty Shirley and Cornfed models. Works beautifully for cleaner tones as well - Band Commander, Matchless, etc. Great work, Justin. This pack really sounds amazing. You were clearly the right man for the job. Congratulations.

Just to be clear, THE LINK BELOW IS NOT ABOUT THIS CAB, but there's cool info about Kerry and how well he was regarded.

https://www.lavintagegear.com/product/kerry-wright-tweed-2-x-12-custom-cab-unloaded/

Hi Justin, is there somewhere we can find the recommended impedance curve for all your packs? Only ask because I saw you recommend a curve for this pack and I have all your other packs :) They're pretty much all I use from an IR perspective.
You speak impedance curve in the Amp Block "speaker page" right ? for the bass frequency ?

I'm a simple man. I see "Scott Henderson" or "York Audio", I press "buy".

The clarity of these is simply astonishing, took me two minutes to find my new best favorite golden platinum hits collection sound. I'm afraid to turn knobs now not to ruin the magic.

This cab pack is absolutely fantastic. I love Greenbacks but I have always had to mix them with other speakers to fill out the low mids to my taste. I loaded up the 160-1 IR and immediately had the frequency response I wanted across the spectrum. Tried several of the other mics and while they sound good, I came right back to this IR. With the Basketweave SIC and low frequency set at 115 it sounds absolutely massive with the Dirty Shirley and Cornfed models. Works beautifully for cleaner tones as well - Band Commander, Matchless, etc. Great work, Justin. This pack really sounds amazing. You were clearly the right man for the job. Congratulations.
Thank you so much for this! I'm with you, and the 160 is one of my favorite mics in existence. It sounds great blended with other mics, but sometimes it's just "right" on its own. :)

Hi Justin, is there somewhere we can find the recommended impedance curve for all your packs? Only ask because I saw you recommend a curve for this pack and I have all your other packs :) They're pretty much all I use from an IR perspective.
I captured most of my packs before having the tools to take SIC measurements, so I honestly don't know the answer for every individual cab. I just start with an Impedance Curve with a name that's closest to the cab I'm using. I may have mentioned curves and low frequencies for some packs, so you might try going to the first page of this thread and clicking on the cabs you have... chances are that I've mentioned the SIC somewhere near the pack's release post. Man, I wish I would have had all of those written down in the same place somewhere.

I'm a simple man. I see "Scott Henderson" or "York Audio", I press "buy".

The clarity of these is simply astonishing, took me two minutes to find my new best favorite golden platinum hits collection sound. I'm afraid to turn knobs now not to ruin the magic.
This makes me really happy to read. I'm telling you, the new conversion upgrade made a pretty significant difference to my ears, so it's cool to hear that you're experiencing the same thing. :)

Here's a little clip showing what a few of the Stereo Mixes sound like with the Axe-Fx III and loading them as FullRes IRs.

I used the Brit 800 model and Stereo Mixes STM 01, STM 08, and STM 04 to show some different "amp in the room" types of tones you can get with these. Has anyone else tried them yet?

Congratulations Justin on the new cab pack. I know how discerning Scott Henderson is about his tone and with the additional weight of his personal loss being such a driving force to the project, I'm sure it was a lot of pressure and hard work to get it to the goal. From an outsiders perspective, I think your efforts resulted in a fantastic sounding product. And quite frankly, if Scott Henderson gives the seal of approval with such enthusiasm, I can think of no higher praise in this particular instance, than that.

When I'm in the position to do so, I'll pick this one up. For now, it is on the ever expanding wish list.

t's cool to hear that you're experiencing the same thing.
It's unbelievable. The Clarity with the capital C. I'm going back and forth with my favorite selection of cabs and it's just another level. I don't need EQ and Presence knob anymore, it's all there!

I know Scott is someone who is obsessed with sound, so happy to see he didn't drive you mad! :D But that's such a huge "top quality" seal for me. He's the guy I'm looking at when we talk "amazing sound". I bought some stuff based on his recommendations and he never let me down. His hand-signed RC is the only pedal I'm never selling!

Here's a little clip showing what a few of the Stereo Mixes sound like with the Axe-Fx III and loading them as FullRes IRs.

I used the Brit 800 model and Stereo Mixes STM 01, STM 08, and STM 04 to show some different "amp in the room" types of tones you can get with these. Has anyone else tried them yet?

This sounds really good ! I have a request, if it’s at all possible - Could you share a preset and the DI ?
Multiple times with previous cab packs, I can’t seem to get it sounding like the demo clip and I’m not sure if I’m not dialing the amp right or I don’t have the right kind of pickups or if it’s an input volume thing etc.
If not, that’s ok, this cab sure sounds like a winner though.

Congratulations Justin on the new cab pack. I know how discerning Scott Henderson is about his tone and with the additional weight of his personal loss being such a driving force to the project, I'm sure it was a lot of pressure and hard work to get it to the goal. From an outsiders perspective, I think your efforts resulted in a fantastic sounding product. And quite frankly, if Scott Henderson gives the seal of approval with such enthusiasm, I can think of no higher praise in this particular instance, than that.

When I'm in the position to do so, I'll pick this one up. For now, it is on the ever expanding wish list.
Thank you for saying this. Yeah, Scott is VERY particular about his tone and how he mic's his cabinet, so it was a tall order to naturally match what he hears in his studio vs an IR made in my studio with my gear. We went through several stages of testing all four speakers, using several 57s to find one that matched his personal mic, and even made adjustments to the cabinet's physical position in the room to get things right. I'll never forget sending him a batch... waiting... and then getting the call with him shouting expletives in the most positive way to show his excitement about what he was hearing. I couldn't wipe the smile from my face. It meant a lot that he was connecting with these on such a personal level.

Is it possible to use the stereo mixes with the room feel on the FM3?
You'll still get a bit of the stereo effect with the FM3, but not as much as using the FullRes length IRs.

It's unbelievable. The Clarity with the capital C. I'm going back and forth with my favorite selection of cabs and it's just another level. I don't need EQ and Presence knob anymore, it's all there!

I know Scott is someone who is obsessed with sound, so happy to see he didn't drive you mad! :D But that's such a huge "top quality" seal for me. He's the guy I'm looking at when we talk "amazing sound". I bought some stuff based on his recommendations and he never let me down. His hand-signed RC is the only pedal I'm never selling!
I'm hearing the same thing. I never compare cabs until the one I'm working on is released. I just compared the KW 412 to one of my other favorite cabs and it's not even close... it makes me want to recapture EVERYTHING.

Scott didn't drive me mad. It just took a lot of trial and error to find the magic spot on the right speaker with the right range of captures. Thankfully, whatever pack I do next won't take nearly as long to complete. ;)

This sounds really good ! I have a request, if it’s at all possible - Could you share a preset and the DI ?
Multiple times with previous cab packs, I can’t seem to get it sounding like the demo clip and I’m not sure if I’m not dialing the amp right or I don’t have the right kind of pickups or if it’s an input volume thing etc.
If not, that’s ok, this cab sure sounds like a winner though.
Thanks! I attached the preset below with the IRs I used in the title. I never take/record DI tracks, so I don't have that. Just load the stereo Mixes I mentioned into the FullRes cab bank. It's pretty self-explanatory from there. The guitar I used is an '89 Gibson Les Paul Custom with a Suhr Thornbucker+ in the bridge. I always raise my pole pieces a full turn or so and then raise the pickup as high as it'll go without the strings touching the pickup when palm muting. I like moderate output pickups, and that little trick works across the board for the kind of humbuckers I like, but it won't work if you're using hotter pickups. I have one guitar with really hot pickups and I had to lower them A LOT and raise the pole pieces A LOT to get any natural clarity out of it.

The preset is literally just an 800 and the cab, so dial in the amp to work with your guitar. And don't be afraid to mess around with your pickups. Small tweaks can make a pretty massive difference. Hopefully this helps.

Attachments

• YA AITR-STM 01 08 and 04.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom