Xotic EP Booster PEQ setting

DonPetersen

Fractal Fanatic
a very broadband mid-boost with some attenuation of the lows (below 78 Hz) and a dip in the highs centered at 13.5kHz but reaching as low as 5.3kHz

very nice in front of a Marsha BE for exsample!

Crunch On!

(this goes into "...Fractal Audio\Effects" and is selected in AxeEdit via right-click -> Settings -> Recall Settings -> ParametricEQ -> "PEQ Xotic EP Booster")

Attachments

• PEQ Xotic EP Booster.syx
    660 bytes · Views: 700
Awesome! I've almost bought that pedal several times now just to try to copy the curve in the Axe-FX.

I'm really looking forward to trying this one!

D

Don, thanks for all the goodies you post here. Your DMM emulation is one of my favorites.

A few questions since you're the expert :)

Is this the EP at default (boost treble, no bass boost) or another setting?
Is it much different than, say, a Tape Drive (HV Tube) or FET Boost block?

thank you all for your kind words.
I'm thrilled you guys like the setting, but maybe it's time to clarify a few things:

I think the setting sounds good and has a couple of applications, no matter how close it really is to the Xotic EP Booster. Which, by the way I never played. :shock:

Xotic was nice enough to post pretty decent clips on their site. A few different sounds with the booster off and then on. Since everything else stayed the same (player, guitar, riff, amp) it's pretty easy to figure out what needs to be done to get from one to the other. That's what the PEQ setting does. I picked my favourite sound, messed around with it, turned a few knobs and ended up with this.

Does this emulate the Xotic EP booster with 100% accuracy? No.

Does this setting sound musically pleasing, is it fun to play and good to have? I think so. Some people agree - and that makes me happy.

I'm pleased that you are pleased. :mrgreen:

what i`ve learned from Dons Xotic patch is: How to tweak a PEQ (you can do it also with a Filter!) is the broadbanding peaking of the mids!!!! The advantage is (for me): When soloing i used in the past always a filter with 4db to 5db boosting behind the amp. But flat! just to cut through the band! but often to loud! NOW i learned: boost the mids, so less volume is needed to cut through by soloing.... shure, the trick "boost the mids" to cut through i know for shure in the past - but it did never worked. why? Because i set the Q-factor always wrong! Now, i have the idea of the broadband-mids gain up!

so: the big advantage is not to have a perfect Xotic Booster patch, it`s the knwoledge, how and why it works!!!!!!

So - thanks again Don! For teaching!

Morphosis, I'd never have the audacity to assume I'm teaching anyone anything, I'm just on my way to tones I only dreamed of - and bother you guys in the process.

DonPetersen said:
Morphosis, I'd never have the audacity to assume I'm teaching anyone anything, I'm just on my way to tones I only dreamed of - and bother you guys in the process.

Don, i would not never say something like this! Just that i am really happy that you`re running for your dreaming tones and share your milestones on that way with us. All i say is: It´s a nice secondary effect, that i can learn something for me on my way to my tones, i`m dreaming of :)

And i am really willing to give this forum sometimes something back, what you all give and share to me! if i have something find out, what`s probobly helpful for anybody ... hmmm

Hm................ Sorry for the bother but I'd sure like to try this. However, I lost you at:

(this goes into "...Fractal Audio\Effects" and is selected in AxeEdit via right-click -> Settings -> Recall Settings -> ParametricEQ -> "PEQ Xotic EP Booster")

If someone has the time to help I'd appreciate it. Merry Christmas to All.........................

MJ

mjross said:
Hm................ Sorry for the bother but I'd sure like to try this. However, I lost you at:

If someone has the time to help I'd appreciate it. Merry Christmas to All.........................

MJ

The attached .syx file ist NOT a ready-to-play patch. It`s just the effect block, you can recall in Axe Edit! For this copy the .syx file in your axe edit effects-folder! After that: Open the programm Axe Edit, select or create any patch you like and THAN put the XOTIC Effect (what is a PEQ block of course) into your Matrix as don describe: select a empty block -> right mouse click -> recall settings -> ParametricEQ -> "PEQ Xotic EP Booster".

Hope this is understandable? ... when German boys fight with english .... hmmm ....

If you load an effect into a pre-existing patch in this manner, just make sure you don't have the "Recall: auto refresh parameter values" selected in the Axe-Edit.

It can auto reset intended parameters of the effect you just loaded.

Back
Top Bottom