X former match

It was suggested in an earlier thread that you were considering adding some sort of "dot" or "mark" at the optimal MV setting on all of the amp models in a future FW update. I would absolutely LOVE to see this happen. I am sure all of us are guilty of incorrect MV settings on most of our presets...

There is no incorrect setting.

I think the best the model could do would be to mimic the real amp as closely as possible.

From the prelim information, its looking like the MV and presence controls will be matching the real amps.

Richard

The lower the knob, the physically larger and more powerful the transformer will be. This translates to more headroom and a fuller dynamic range, because the larger transformer can more easily handle that signal. With the knob set high, the transformer shrinks and becomes less able to handle all the volume you're putting through it, so it will more readily sag and breathe under the stress of the notes, then bloom when the notes decay, because it's weaker and more sensitive to change.

Think of it this way. Your guitar tone is a cube that magically becomes physically heavier as your guitar's signal increases, and lighter as it decreases. The transformer is a wooden plank set across a gap that forms a bridge, suspending the block in the air. As you play, the magic cube will fluctuate between weighing a lot and weight a little, going along with your guitar's output, and the wooden plank will flex from the weight of the cube, relative to how much the cube weighs at the moment. The straighter the plank, the clearer the signal.

In this metaphor, the Transformer Match knob basically controls the thickness of the wood.

Low values make the wood really thick, so even when rapid fluctuations happen in the size of the cube, the bridge stays relatively stiff and steady, and the signal remains at full bandwidth and low distortion no matter how the cube fluctuates. High values of the Transformer Match knob will make the wood very thin, so that the bridge will flex very easily. Even small fluctuations in the size of the cube will be very apparent in the overall sound in this case.

I personally like my tone a little more on the slightly tighter side of things, but not so stiff as to sound lifeless, so I tend to turn the knob down just a bit. Plus, it's really cool to be able to turn one knob and hear your amp's guts get stronger in real time, haha.

Transformer match has nothing to do with the physical size of the transformer. It is the turns ratio. The higher the turns ratio (higher Transformer Match) the higher the reflected impedance from the speaker and vice-versa. The higher the value the sooner the power tubes distort. The optimum turns ratio is such that the maximum power can be obtained. Tube amps tend to be slightly undermatched though since the speaker impedance is not constant. This varies with the make/model of amp and is encoded in the model data.

The size of the transformer is dictated by the necessary power handling. You can simulate smaller/larger transformers by adjusting the Transformer Drive parameter.

The size of the transformer is dictated by the necessary power handling. You can simulate smaller/larger transformers by adjusting the Transformer Drive parameter.

Resurrecting this old thread to ask a question.

If I wanted to simulate a larger transformer, would I increase or decrease the Transformer Drive parameter?

Back
Top Bottom