Wow

Looks like Line6 gave up not Yamaha.

Every so often I'll browse the L6 forums - no significant firmware updates for the Pod HD500 series (i.e. new amp/effects/speaker models) for a long time.

The quality control isn't there like it was years ago. After 3 bricked HD500s, two bad JT Variaxes, and a blown power xformer in the DT50 amp, I sure gave up.

Then I discovered the Axe-FX II and my life began.

Yamaha gave up on development of modeling tech. So the bought Line6?

If anything I'd imagine it's Yamaha wanting to go further into it. They've of course done some stuff before, but more recently come out with the very well received THR line. I don't imagine a big deal like this happened overnight, so it's not like they developed the THR stuff and then went, "You know what? This is too much work. Bugger it, we'll just buy Line 6 and call it a day."

I like Yamaha. Nice motorcycles.

Plenty of nice instruments too, and pretty sure they were making instruments a good 50 years or so before any motorcycles. They didn't accidentally end up with a company mark made up of three tuning forks.

I've heard all sorts of rumors about L6 and their engineering talent leaving. I have no idea if any of it is true.

I've also heard that the founders and VCs have been trying to cash out for some time now and had been looking at everything from IPO to buyout. Again no idea if any of it is true.

This was told to my by someone who was formerly working for them as well. It was a fundamental shift from putting out good products to maximizing profits instead. More emphasis on repackaging & incrementally upgrading products instead of the innovation that was there when the company started. The original talent that got them where they are is long gone unfortunately.

This was told to my by someone who was formerly working for them as well. It was a fundamental shift from putting out good products to maximizing profits instead. More emphasis on repackaging & incrementally upgrading products instead of the innovation that was there when the company started. The original talent that got them where they are is long gone unfortunately.
Sounds like Avid all over again.

Back
Top Bottom