Would you ever take Depp as a great muscian? Or forever, a one time A list Hollywood Actor?

dsouza

Experienced
Johnny Depp seems to be overtaking the IG feeds with his musical works with Jeff Beck, HollyWood Vampires and others.

Would YOU ever take him seriously as a guitarist and singer after his lifelong involvement in acting?

I saw him on Jeff Beck’s last tour. Lot of women in the audience haha. Jeff did his own thing and brought Johnny out for some songs. There were a few times when me and my son were busting up laughing because it was a little ridiculous. Some cringeworthy moments for sure. But hey, good for him getting to play with some excellent musicians. He doesn’t really fit in though.

I saw him on Jeff Beck’s last tour. Lot of women in the audience haha. Jeff did his own thing and brought Johnny out for some songs. There were a few times when me and my son were busting up laughing because it was a little ridiculous. Some cringeworthy moments for sure. But hey, good for him getting to play with some excellent musicians. He doesn’t really fit in though.
That’s what I’ve seen repeatedly. He’s Jack Sparrow with a guitar on stage.

He called the acting world "living a lie". And here he is living "Captain Jack" on stage in the music industry.

How good a guitarist and singer would you rate him if you took away his fashion, great looks, and "acting" capabilities on stage?

I believe he was once an A list Hollywood actor (I mean cream of the crop), but he's a mediocre musician at best.

He's got good stagecraft though-- once again coming from the acting world.

It all acts as a distraction from assessing him as a true vocalist and guitarist.

Jeff Beck's last words: "I hope people take Johnny seriously as a musician though".

Even Beck questioned the inevitable.

It's not that people can't do more than one thing, look at Arnold (A 7 time Mr Olympia, World class Actor-- The Terminator, and California Politician who married into the Kennedy family).

However, Johnny made acting his entire life. While others acted 12 hrs a day on set and went home to their families he acted 12 hours a day on set and went home and acted some more. Went on the streets and acted some more. Did interviews which turned out too perfect because they were an act. In essence he called the acting industry a lie in the end because his whole LIFE had became a lie.

And now we find him in the music industry, with a great comeback after his divorce settlement. Went from being worth $400M to $150M in a matter of a few years. I mean many people in his shoes would of committed suicide and opted for the easy way out. But not Depp. I admire his resilience.

Last edited:
Is he having fun? Is he doing what he wants? If so that’s all that matters

Why do we constantly need to judge people? Just let them do their thing and you do your thing.
That nails it for me !!

I don't see what's wrong with a healthy debate. These type of debates go on everywhere in the world.

And music is not only for the one playing it. Tell that to famous legends of music in the world who cater to their audience like a great chef caters to his/her customers. But if you only play music for you then go ahead and do that to. Just don't expect to be the most marketable.

I never once said Depp is great or not great as a musician, I merely opened a healthy debate for discussion. People who can't debate without getting irritated need to take some philosophy courses like I did in University. They teach you a lot about how to present sides of arguments without disrespecting other people's opinions, even if they are vastly different from your own.

Music is for the person playing it.

Your view on music is strange.
Agreed 100%
Depp has said his favourite thing is playing guitar IMO that a healthy vice and if he keeps his mental heath who cares if he is a virtuoso , if he is having fun that’s why you should play and instrument

Last edited:
I would think that if the likes of Jeff Beck, Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Matt Sorum are comfortable performing live with him, there’s really not much to discuss about his abilities. He may not be highly influential or a virtuoso, but he’s solid.

I would think that if the likes of Jeff Beck, Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Matt Sorum are comfortable performing live with him, there’s really not much to discuss about his abilities. He may not be highly influential or a virtuoso, but he’s solid.
Well said! If some of the world's greats would perform with him live, there must be something talented about his skills as a musician.

I recall when he was a teen he was in a band playing guitar.

But acting became his main calling and what he got world class acclaim!

Before Beck died one of his last words about Johnny were : "I hope the world takes Johnny seriously as a musician".

Last edited:
I'm with Chris.

And has anyone watched a video of the OP? Things are put into perspective.
I'd normally NEVER write a thing like this, but this is the umpteenth pot stirring thread by the OP. View attachment 129219
Last time I checked, The Lounge didn't need any policing......thanks though Karen. laugh.gif

Last edited:
Well the lounge is considered an off-topic area, so anything really can be discussed here not just FAS related material.

Back
Top Bottom