Won't Get Fooled Again - Synth Sounds

mferrand

Inspired
To All,

Anyone know how to get the synth sound effect like used on Won't Get Fooled Again. I think I remember seeing an interview where Pete Thousand said that he used a Lowpass filter on the synth controlled by a sample and hold.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Mike

this is a really old patch. let me know if it doesn't work. the amp will need resetting

*edit - removed patch - see below*

To All,

Anyone know how to get the synth sound effect like used on Won't Get Fooled Again. I think I remember seeing an interview where Pete Thousand said that he used a Lowpass filter on the synth controlled by a sample and hold.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Mike

Last edited:
updated it for you

tricky to nail this one, because it's difficult to get all the chords involved

oh yeah - forgot to say - the level of the synth is controlled by External 1 in this patch. if you have nothing attached to external 1, then you can have a quick listen by going to I/O>Midi and changing the default value of external 1 from 0% to 100%

Attachments

• Won't Get Fooled v11.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Thanks ! Your synth patches are always a bit out of the square and beautiful ! Looking forward to trying it after next weekend.

updated it for you

tricky to nail this one, because it's difficult to get all the chords involved

oh yeah - forgot to say - the level of the synth is controlled by External 1 in this patch. if you have nothing attached to external 1, then you can have a quick listen by going to I/O>Midi and changing the default value of external 1 from 0% to 100%

f**king rad!! this so cool. How is the synth generating notes with out guitar input or midi note value? can you do this and create all sorts of different arpeggiated patterns? Seems like this could be really cool idea for a backing track? axe synth sounds great I wish it could receive midi note value...will Cliff incorporate this ever?

f**king rad!! this so cool. How is the synth generating notes with out guitar input or midi note value? can you do this and create all sorts of different arpeggiated patterns? Seems like this could be really cool idea for a backing track? axe synth sounds great I wish it could receive midi note value...will Cliff incorporate this ever?

the synth has several modes of operation, chosen by the "track" parameter - off / env only / pitch + env / quantize. when the tracking is set to "off", the synth generates a tone based on the "freq" parameter. you can tie this parameter to something like the sequencer, but it's very difficult to target precise pitches this way....so it's better tune this tone to a specific pitch and then run it through the arpeggiator. look at the patch and i'm sure you'll figure out how it works.

you can use several synth voices at once like this to generate chords and then use an external modifier to change between two chords. great for playing over. i made a patch like this ages ago and several people picked up on it, tweaked it and shared it again. if you can find Fremen's presets, i think he has a version you can download (my original has been lost in the mists of time i'm afraid, but Fremen's is great)

Last edited:
i just had a quick go at the synth for fox on the run. i can't say it's very close, but i didn't have much time to fool with it...maybe you can get it better. all the sweep action is controlled by external 1...

unfortunately, i don't think the axe filter has as high a maximum Q value as that on the old Moog that was probably used on the original

Attachments

• Fox on the Run.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 68
i just had a quick go at the synth for fox on the run. i can't say it's very close, but i didn't have much time to fool with it...maybe you can get it better. all the sweep action is controlled by external 1...

unfortunately, i don't think the axe filter has as high a maximum Q value as that on the old Moog that was probably used on the original

You are the man! I will try and let you know how it evolves :)

I took simeon's preset and modified it.

I changed the middle note harmony to match the way I always played it.

To get the top note harmony the way I play it, it took 4 different pitch sequences to get all the notes. So I used two pitch blocks, X/Y of both. (Actually I had to fudge one bar because I needed an extra 8 note phrase but didn't have any means to get it since I was using the sequencer already for the middle harmony and the two pitch sequencers were maxed too.)

The scenes 1-4 walk through the whole intro by changing X/Y and activating each pitch block in turn.

To follow song with scenes; change scenes like this:

bars 1-2 scene 1
bars 3-4 scene 2
bar 5-11 scene 3
bars 12-17 scene 4

This preset is in 1/2 step down tuning.

Edit: Would love to know how to start the sequencer and LFO 1&2 all at the same time?

Attachments

• Won't Get Fooled fw14 -1 barH.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
that's nice. you can start the sequencer and the lfo's at the same time by assigning an external switch to their "run" parameters. they will all start at the same time and be in sync

Back
Top Bottom