Will someone save me from this &*)(&% AXE-FX!!

TonePoet

For an audio unit in which I spent over $2000 for, I can't believe that the editing software is sooooooooo unstable. And interfacing with MIDI??? What is this, 1999? I am venting here, because I am very disappointed in this unit. Yes, it sounds great, but I've spent my entire day trying to load old presets into the damn thing. On both a Mac & PC - no luck.

I don't think I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff - I've worked as an audio engineer @ a recording studio for the last 8 years. If I don't get this working today, I'll be selling the piece on eBay & going back to my POD XT Pro.

Disappointed & extremely frustrated.

It's beta software as noted on the download link.
the editor is not necessary in order to program the axefx. if it is frustrating you, move away from the editor and program right onto the axefx.
if you are experiencing a bug...there is a bug section to report your findings.

As far as loading patches into the Axe-Fx using MIDI, I have never had an issue with downloading or uploading patches or firmware from the Axe-Fx, and I have virtually no experience with MIDI at all. What issues are you having when you try to upload patches to the Axe-Fx?

Ummm... most people's first post is some kind of trouble shooting. Such as posting your routing and set-up. Give it a second chance!

:? Oh, man!!!

DON'T sell or return it! :eek: ...ESPECIALLY if you think it sounds good. It DOES sound good. It sounds GREAT after you've had it for a while. Anyway, I never bother with the editor. I always program right from the AXE FX. It's really easy to do. Take the time to learn how to create and edit patches without the editor.

Also, I am by no means an expert in this area, but I have never had trouble uploading and downloading patches or banks in and out of my Ultra. What are you using for a MIDI interface? Give us more information about what you're using, how you've got it all connected, and how you're trying to do it.

TonePoet said:
For an audio unit in which I spent over $2000 for, I can't believe that the editing software is sooooooooo unstable. And interfacing with MIDI??? What is this, 1999? I am venting here, because I am very disappointed in this unit. Yes, it sounds great, but I've spent my entire day trying to load old presets into the damn thing. On both a Mac & PC - no luck.

I don't think I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff - I've worked as an audio engineer @ a recording studio for the last 8 years. If I don't get this working today, I'll be selling the piece on eBay & going back to my POD XT Pro.

lol...give me the link to Ebay.
Want to trade with my xt pro? :lol:

For now, if the beta Editor is giving you trouble, you can still always use any MIDI software capable of transferring large MIDI SysEx messages.
For Windows, SendSX is popular and relatively simple. MIDI-Ox is more full-featured, but a bit more daunting at first.
For Mac, many people recommend SysEx Librarian.

For individual preset uploads, just send the preset .syx to the Axe and it should end up in the edit buffer (whenever you're editing an unsaved preset, it is in the edit buffer). Save it to whichever position you wish.
Preset transfers are nearly instantaneous.

For full bank uploads, it's a little bit more complicated since you have to edit a byte of the .syx file to make sure it goes into the correct bank (Bank A is presets 0-127, Bank B is presets 128-255, Bank C is presets 256-383). Refer to this tip on the Wiki if you need to upload a bank with standard MIDI SysEx software (as opposed to the beta Editor which, I believe, will handle the Bank assignment for you(?))...
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... k_Location
Bank uploads take a few minutes, and the only indicator that it's done is the tempo light will resume blinking.

For IRs, view the Cab block, set the cab to whichever user IR slot you want to load the IR into, and send the .syx to the Axe.
IR transfers are nearly instantaneous.

Also, you're not alone.
One of the complaints about the Axe-Fx from new users is often the seemingly-backwards decision to use MIDI instead of something like USB. Once it's configured and working though, it's usually a very smooth process. Take a few breaths, do something else for a while, and then come back to it. Please do post more specifics if you're still having trouble after that. The community here is extremely helpful!

Personally, I really like not having to install additional USB drivers for the Axe-Fx, and being able to use the same protocol for data transfer as I do for effect automation without having any additional cables (especially if I'm on a laptop), but I don't deny the appeal of USB's "plug-and-play" architecture.

TonePoet said:

Software is beta. If you purchased it to only use it with the beta software then send it back or evilbay it.
I would think that with 8 years of AE experience you would get inside that thing and turn some knobs. Just my .02.

Alright, I can understand the disappointment to a certain extent for a new user expecting a stable editor. But, the editor is very much work in progress at the moment I'm afraid... the previous developer pulled the plug and it's a completely new one now in development. I've had some compatibility problems too, but it's not a big deal for me. It's all about the sound of the unit, which is incredible.
The editor was not an integrated part of the Axe-fx package, so hang in there. Things are sure to improve.

Like others have said, don't base your opinion of the Axe-FX on the Editor. I cannot push myself to use that Editor (in my book, it's the most counter-intuitive application I have seen in a long time). It is NOT ready for prime time. So if it frustrates you, do like I did - stop using it. You can very effectively tweak your patches with the Axe-FX front panel. And to load patches and IRs, the good old midi librarians are pretty solid, once you work out the kinks of your midi interface (and drivers!!!). So even without the Editor, you still have a complete solution, including loading patches and IRs.

TonePoet said:

If all you want is something to tweak on your computer...get Amplitube or Guitar Rig....don't waste your time with something that's over your head.

I expected I'd get some great offers to take this thing off my hands. ;) It just seems to me that what is so simple in the Line 6 POD world - loading banks, & editing presets via computer - would be at least doable with the AXE-FX. Is it wrong to have my expectations of the AXE-FX set higher than at the Line 6 level? I don't think so.

I have 3 different groups that I play with, 2 tribute bands & a cover band, and have many presets programmed for the 3 groups (I have owned this unit since December). I don't have the capability to bank select with my MIDI foot controller, so I need to load new presets into the "Bank A" presets (Programs 0-127), depending on which gig I have. So, I have done all of my editing on theAXE-FX, not the editor. And, I am totally OK with that. I just assumed (we all know what that does) that the AXE-FX editor would have Librarian capabilities. Today, totally unable to talk to the AXE-FX via MIDI through the 'new' editor.

Again, this is a great sounding unit - light years ahead of the Line 6 stuff. But, as good as the unit sounds, I feel slightly duped in my purchase.

OK, done venting. Thanks to those with the constructive advice.

As soon as I saw the list of things the editor could not (currently) do, I knew I would be better off working without it. Just enjoy the AFX for what it is solo - a great sounding, all-in-one, pro unit.

Don't forget to have fun :p

~Rad~

there are other options.
if you have a pc to axefx connection, you can use a midi librian to store off and load banks.
if you dont have a connection, than obviously that wont help either and you need to sort that out first. Personally i have had sucess with midi ox and a midisport 2x2.

rocketmorton52 said:
If all you want is something to tweak on your computer...get Amplitube or Guitar Rig....don't waste your time with something that's over your head.

Dumbest post I've seen in a while.

TonePoet, I've never used the editor because I just didnt trust it (that was the old one). I've always edited everything from the unit itself. However, I didnt find the editor that non-intuitive. Just not trustworthy..and before the flaming, I didnt trust it because of all the warnings about backing up your stuff because some people had some bad experiences.

Uploading presets, firmware and banks should be easy if your midi interface is a Axe-friendly one (theres a list somewhere). I use Bome's SendSX (PC).

Hope you don't give up yet. The unit itself should be the basis for your decision, dont judge by the editor.

TonePoet said:
... I have 3 different groups that I play with, 2 tribute bands & a cover band, and have many presets programmed for the 3 groups .... I don't have the capability to bank select with my MIDI foot controller, so I need to load new presets into the "Bank A" presets (Programs 0-127), depending on which gig I have.

Bank Change: all it needs is a controller change, I think CC#0 with 0, 1 oder 2 (it's in the Wiki) to select the banks of the Axe. Even my Behringer does that (though I don't need it).

Bank location: If using a Midi librarian (I'm using Bome's right now) you can change the bank position by editing the sysex file (I think 7th byte determines Bank A, B or C, it's in the Wiki)

If I had three Banks of patches that I would want to upload to my Axe depending of what set I need I'd take each Bank. Edit it ONCE an upload to Bank A then dump it as my Bank A #1, 2 and 3. Voilá, there I have three Banks A on my computer and don't have to mess with editing them before upoad.

So I never used an editor for the Axe so far. Maybe when Axe Edit isn't beta anymore and working for Midiots too, then I'll try using it. But not before.

Hope, this helps a little.

danielodland said:
rocketmorton52 said:

Dumbest post I've seen in a while.

What I was trying to say was "don't throw the baby out with the bath water".
Tonepoet complains about a secondary feature on which is possibly the BEST sounding all in one box ever!
This is a pro peice of "HARDWARE".
Plus like someone else said "the editor is in beta."
I was just taken aback by Tonepoet's harsh rant and willingness to give up so quickly on the Axe and go back to the Pod!

If he has that much experience in the studio you would think the "sonic" differences between the Axe and the Pod
would be enough for him to stay with the obvious choice...despite the "beta" behavior of the editor....just my 2 cents.

TonePoet, I've never used the editor because I just didnt trust it (that was the old one). I've always edited everything from the unit itself. However, I didnt find the editor that non-intuitive. Just not trustworthy..and before the flaming, I didnt trust it because of all the warnings about backing up your stuff because some people had some bad experiences.

Uploading presets, firmware and banks should be easy if your midi interface is a Axe-friendly one (theres a list somewhere). I use Bome's SendSX (PC).

Hope you don't give up yet. The unit itself should be the basis for your decision, dont judge by the editor.

You stated your first wanted to load preset into the axe-fx?

That is easy. Use a midi librarian (sendsx, midiOX) send the preset to the Axe-fx, that will load it to the temporary buffer on the axe-fx (it doesn't overwrite anything), you can then save it to the location you want to store it.

TonePoet said:
Again, this is a great sounding unit - light years ahead of the Line 6 stuff. But, as good as the unit sounds, I feel slightly duped in my purchase.

OK, done venting. Thanks to those with the constructive advice.

i don't see how you can feel duped. i didn't see any information anywhere that said "we have a working editor that is not in beta and is ready to use by everyone. please buy this unit expecting this to be true"

if i remember correctly, line 6 didn't have a computer editor right away either. it's only recently that the axefx's have been built on a larger scale. (someone else can find the date if they really care) before that it was just cliff putting them together by hand.

step back, deep breath. use a midi librarian and report bugs in the editor forum and give it some time.

Back
Top Bottom