Will some speakers/cabs introduce fizz?

mtmartin71

Experienced
I used to have a Marshall 1960AV 4x12. That's the one with V30s. It was well broken in. I just took receipt of my Port City 2x12 OS Vertical and it's loaded with a Scumback M75 65W in the top and a H75 65W in the bottom. It sounds great...but...I'm hearing a little fizzy overtone in the background. I don't recall ever having that with my Marshall cab and speakers. I don't think it's the AxeFX. I don't hear this through FRFR. I did get the factory break in on these two speakers. Maybe it needs more or maybe that's how it goes. It's not a deal breaker because I'm sure I won't hear it on stage at all but just sitting right up on it, I can hear it. I don't have another cab anymore but that would be the easiest way to troubleshoot and confirm things. Thoughts?

It's a different set of speaker and an entirely different cab. I had 2 412's of V30's that were 18 years old and sounded nothing like the new ones that are built today. I believe the paper used in the speaker will change the tone of what you hear after that amount of time. The fact that you have "new" speakers even if they have been worked from the factory will take some of the top end off but not to the extent of one that has been worked and exposed to the elements for years.

The cab you just bought is a great cab and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just dial out some presents and treble to somewhat compensate for it and rock that cab :encouragement:.

New speakers are quite fizzy out of the box, Actually, the H75 is quite a fizzyish speaker generally in my experience.

You can build a pair of foam doughnuts and put them in the baffles, they really work for fixing fizz. You'll also want to get some parametric EQs in there, the fizz region can be anywhere from 3k to 5k, but usually peaks around the 3.5-4.5ish range.

I usually have a few parametrics hitting the fizzy frequencies quite a bit, which significantly muddies the sound. Then I bring the presence dial up to put the bite back into it, and it comes back a lot smoother.

I have some of the same speakers.... old well-broken in V30's and a 2x12 with (FBI) M/H75's (although mine are 100w versions).

Anyways, for a long time my V30's sounded smoother, but after a while my Scumbacks have smoothed out and now sound fantastic.

There is some inherent fizz with real cabs, but nothing that cant' be dialed out via GEQ or PEQ's. I've found a pretty good EQ curve with a GEQ that I apply to my real cab signal (I run FRFR and real cab in most patches). I usually leave the first GEQ slider alone, but I bump the next two a few DB each (sometimes up to 3/4 db), the 250/500 can go either way depending on what I'm going for.... I usually drop the next 2 a couple DB, with another slight bump in the 1-2k range.... everything after that slopes down evenly to where the 16K is all the way down.

Thought I'd follow this up. I did finally end up using the PEQ I had set for a boost and noticed the fizz went away immediately when I engaged it. Reminded me of what I forgot to do from this thread. The lead PEQ had the low end rolled off around 120 and the high end at 6000. I took out the low end roll off and moved the high end to just where the fizz was disappearing which happened to be around 8000 on my patches. MUCH better at least for lower volume...sitting right next to my amp/cab. Will have to try this live and see if I want to take the PEQ out when I'm at high volume. May just leave it on.

Unless the speaker itself is distorting, the speaker is revealing fizz rather than creating it, I would guess.

Unless the speaker itself is distorting, the speaker is revealing fizz rather than creating it, I would guess.

Right...I'm not getting the speakers moving to cause them to distort. However, at louder volumes, the fizz is there without PEQ (I'm sure) but I think it gets covered. Either way...the tools are there for me to tailor my situation.

Right...I'm not getting the speakers moving to cause them to distort. However, at louder volumes, the fizz is there without PEQ (I'm sure) but I think it gets covered. Either way...the tools are there for me to tailor my situation.

Right on. Sounds like you came up with something that works regardless of the source. Good info.

Back
Top Bottom