Will I ditch my ENGL Invader for an Ultra

H

Heineken

Hey all,

I currently run an ENGL Invader 100 into a Mesa trad. slant 4x12 and I think its the best setup I've ever ran. Now I plan on picking up an Ultra for recording purposes, but after talking to a couple people in my area (one of which used to own the same amp) as well as people who've posted in forums, the Ultra may run circles around my Invader.

I don't run any effects aside from a TS808, ISP Decimator, and MXR carbon copy, so I don't need much as far as FX go.

How likely will I ditch my Invader and just run my Axe FX through a power amp (perhaps VHT 2 50 2)?

I would love to snag a Axe FX II but that would really be over my budget should I decide to stick with the Invader for live usage.

Honestly, I'd say quite probably. I bought an AXE FX solely for recording purposes as I loved the live tone I got from my JMP1 and Triaxis. Now they sit in a wardrobe:

pref.jpg

How likely will I ditch my Invader and just run my Axe FX through a power amp (perhaps VHT 2 50 2)?

A little of my amp history (not all of them)... but I had a PowerBall II, Diezel Einstein and Diezel Herbert all for my heavy material and a Fender 5e3 clone for my blues. All but the Einstein have gone and this being picked up on Monday. I ran exactly the same effects as you and they have gone too.

My dilemma was either to full on FRFR or amp/cab - I chose the latter as I still don't know enough about FRFR

What has replaced these... easy Axe Fx and power amp (soon to be a Matrix GT800FX) and an Orange 212.

I'll say you ditch theI nvader.

Hmm. Tough one,especially since i've used the ultra ONLY in the studio, through headphones or a full range monitor setup. Awesome recorded tones! But I sat in a room with a fireball once, and that amp just plain blew me away. But I'd like to attribute alot of that to the ENGL cab. Probably if you go through a SS poweramp into guitar cabs, you'll hit tonal nirvana!

That being said, the powerball sim on the axe is my least favorite metal amp. The new recto, diezel and a whole bunch of other sims blow it away, at least for my 7 with bareknuckle cold sweats.

I honestly think people don't speak enough about the stomp section in the AFX- it's friggin brilliant! Coupled with the awesome amp modelling, the tonal possibilities are near endless - so you'll probably be that closer to the sound in your head! Also, you can't beat it in terms of being hassle free.

I'm a huge advocate for digital over analog in any case, despite analog sounding great, but if it can be done digitally, i'd choose digital anyday. So don't listen to me :p

Misha Mansoor's rig was an ENGL invader, maxon overdrive, keeley compressor, and a orange ppc412... (he told me his 2nd favorite cab to use is the mesa traditional 412) and he now uses the axe fx... if you take the time to learn about the axe fx unit then you'll most likely get a power amp and ditch the invader... screw VHT power amps tho. They sound great but they're over priced. 1600 for just a power amp? Better off buying a VHT Deliverance 120 or 60 head and using the power section from it for the same or less (if used) price... AND that way you'll have an entire back up amplifier if the axe fx for some reason shits the bed.

IMO the VHT 2:50:2 should be 700 bucks and like 850 for the 2:90:2

Last edited:
Some first hand experience:

My standard rig nowadays is an Ultra->Fryette 2902->Mesa 2x12. However, The invader was the amp I had lusted after for a LONG time. I finally bought one last week and tried it out in the studio with the band. While the Invader sounds great by itself, as soon as my other other guitarist starts playing his 5150, the Invader just disappears in the mix! It's really weird - the Invader was set louder than the 5150, but together, the 5150 just cut thru the mix really well.

Switched to the Axe, and everything was great! I mainly use the Recto New or the 5150 amp sims. The ease of not having to lug the extra effects that the Invader requires (I had a racked power conditioner, a G-Major in the effects loop + ISP Decimator and tuner in front) is going to be a BIG factor. I think the Invader is a great amp for those who prefer heads, but I'll be selling mine off soon.

I don't have any experience with FRFR, but if you are going down the power amp + cab route, I would say you'd ditch the Invader too.

Get an Axe Fx Standard and an ENGL Poweramp? It doesn't sound like you really need all the extra features of an Ultra anyways.

+1 on this. The only added feature of the Ultra is more memory to accommodate more complex rigs and effects (plus some added effect types). Sonically, the Standard is exactly the same, and it'll save you a little money.

Back
Top Bottom