Why Matrix?

One area where SS amps differ is in dynamics. Not that much in the tube-world, unless you compare class A/B with pure class A.

I don't know how that can be when such is supposed to be done on the Axe-Fx. I really have to try one to compare to my Stewart.

it was explained to me in a sense that the amp has been 'slowed down' so that it reacts differently to a regular poweramp
I can't honestly say that I profess to know exactly what this means from an engineering standpoint..
but as a player, I do seem to feel something a little more natural / organic / elastic...
apologising up front... they're pretty crap terms I know, but I can't seem to find a better way of describing it

but as 'just a guitar player', I'm not going to get all hung up on the technical details..
I just play it and know that when I give some spuds.. it reacts to it..
at low levels the effect is not really there..
and even at bigger levels the effect is quite subtle..
but overall it makes things feel more energetic..

so at home you'll not notice unless of course you went to the same school of rock'n'roll as me,
whereby pssing off the whole street is mandatory [less you want to get a D minus]

Last edited:
Heheh, I play pretty loud since I'm in a fully-detached home, but I doubt that the neighbours can hear it.

Haha ... I once wandered out into the street with my guitar and an old AKG wireless system to test how much could be heard outside my detached house (alcohol was involved). It was silent so I thought 'result' and played loudly into the night safe in the knowledge I wasn't pissing anyone off. Turns out the wireless system was out of range and as soon as I went back in the house I was indeed pissing everyone off :D

it was explained to me in a sense that the amp has been 'slowed down' so that it reacts differently to a regular poweramp
I can't honestly say that I profess to know exactly what this means from an engineering standpoint..
but as a player, I do seem to feel something a little more natural / organic / elastic...
apologising up front... they're pretty crap terms I know, but I can't seem to find a better way of describing it

but as 'just a guitar player', I'm not going to get all hung up on the technical details..
I just play it and know that when I give some spuds.. it reacts to it..
at low levels the effect is not really there..
and even at bigger levels the effect is quite subtle..
but overall it makes things feel more energetic..

From what I understand some of the Matrix amps have been engineered to be not as hyper-responsive as there Hi-Fi/civilian equivalent. This causes them to effectively emulate that classic valve power stage experience. This is why if you stick one of Cliff's babies, or even a valve preamp such as a Laney Ironheart IRT-Studio, the sound is (IMHO) natural.

Sorry if this sounds patronising.

Haha ... I once wandered out into the street with my guitar and an old AKG wireless system to test how much could be heard outside my detached house (alcohol was involved). It was silent so I thought 'result' and played loudly into the night safe in the knowledge I wasn't pissing anyone off. Turns out the wireless system was out of range and as soon as I went back in the house I was indeed pissing everyone off :D

I like ya style... lol...

From what I understand some of the Matrix amps have been engineered to be not as hyper-responsive as there Hi-Fi/civilian equivalent. This causes them to effectively emulate that classic valve power stage experience. This is why if you stick one of Cliff's babies, or even a valve preamp such as a Laney Ironheart IRT-Studio, the sound is (IMHO) natural.

Sorry if this sounds patronising.

actually, that's kinda how I understand it...
and it explains why it's a thing you feel rather than hear..

Heheh, I play pretty loud since I'm in a fully-detached home, but I doubt that the neighbours can hear it.

I have a detached house too....
I got a complaint from somethnig like 8 or 9 doors away...

which I of course took as a compliment and thanked them greatly..

I now need a bigger rig so I can hit double figures...

From what I understand some of the Matrix amps have been engineered to be not as hyper-responsive as there Hi-Fi/civilian equivalent.
Well, based on what you and clarky have said, it sounds like an upgrade :) I think I'll order one in a month or so to compare with my Stewart.

so at home you'll not notice unless of course you went to the same school of rock'n'roll as me,
whereby pssing off the whole street is mandatory [less you want to get a D minus]

if the police have not stopped by your home because of a complaint,your not doing it right!:)

Well, based on what you and clarky have said, it sounds like an upgrade :) I think I'll order one in a month or so to compare with my Stewart.

seriously... if you do this, please report your findings....

my pre-GT1000 poweramp experiences were:

Marshall EL34 100/100 <-- valve
Marshall 8008 Valvestate <-- SS but does a great valve impersonation
Mesa Strategy 400 <-- valve

feel wise, the GT1000 is comparable to all of the above...

I once was forced to play through a keys players poweramp [not with the Axe btw]
yeah I was loud and sounded right... but I thought it all felt a little 'stiff' / clinical..

very interested to see if you experience the same GT1000 'pixie dust' that I do
also, when you're experimenting, try to be sure to do it at levels that match or at least approach rehearsal / gig levels..

Matt clear your inbox I 'm trying to pm you my Gt1000FX died on me this morning
need some help here.

if the police have not stopped by your home because of a complaint,your not doing it right!:)
Was trying out some of Yek's new edits. My daughter came home and said, "Dad, I could hear you all the way to ______'s house"
That house is 70 yards away.
I had all doors and windows closed in my house.

Back
Top Bottom