Why lower gain Cameron CCV amp model feels more noisy than much higher gain Herbie 3?

Like I said....just curious. I must be blessed with exceptionally clean power at my place. When I play through the Camerons, while they are a little noisier than the Herbie, it's not by much at all.......even while playing like you mention.
as soon as you play in a mix, you can’t really hear it, so it’s not a problem. It is just my OCD that wants to know why it is like that 😀

I would assume friedmans/diezels//KSR/Revv’s/PRS Archon .. darker voiced circuits in general.

Thanks Thomas, but am I wrong to think that large grid stoppers / plate capacitors and bright voiced circuits are mutuality exclusive? I.e., can you not have an amp that is voiced for brightness but also highly resistant to noise?

Thanks Thomas, but am I wrong to think that large grid stoppers / plate capacitors and bright voiced circuits are mutuality exclusive? I.e., can you not have an amp that is voiced for brightness but also highly resistant to noise?
I could only speculate but I think you’re right. probably can’t have both at the same time 😐.. I’m ok with that though..I just pick the darker and less noisy amp and set in brighter and it’s good enough for me :)

I could only speculate but I think you’re right. probably can’t have both at the same time 😐.. I’m ok with that though..I just pick the darker and less noisy amp and set in brighter and it’s good enough for me :)

That's interesting. I'm such a layman about this, I think there's a world to understand as to what components in what placement filter out noise more effectively. I'm now curious to know what amps at different gain levels are most effective at rejecting noise, and why. I tried asking the Bing chatbot as well as Bard, and the answers were not helpful haha.

That's interesting. I'm such a layman about this, I think there's a world to understand as to what components in what placement filter out noise more effectively. I'm now curious to know what amps at different gain levels are most effective at rejecting noise, and why. I tried asking the Bing chatbot as well as Bard, and the answers were not helpful haha.
Cliff should give them a lesson 😂
from all amps that I tried (52 or so), any of the diezels were the least noisy, with close second being revv generator 120 mk3. on the other hand my ceriatone molecular (cameron atomica/ccv copy) is super noisy, even after mod, where I swapped out stock 1000pf/2200pf bright caps for 100pf :)

Tube amplifier uses several stages to gradually amplify and distort the signal. A low-pass filter applied at the beginning of the chain will have less effect on the overall amount of treble in the resulting sound, while effectively suppressing noise. A low-pass filter at the output will have a dramatic effect on the resulting sound, as the filter will remove the harmonics created by the last-stage limiting. However, a low-pass filter used anywhere will suppress the higher harmonics produced by the guitar (a lot depends on the cutoff frequency of the filter). Thus, according to the design of the amplifier, each amplifier has a different noise with the same gain and treble settings.

Back
Top Bottom