Why do you use a power amp with your axe fx?

Why do you use a power amp with your axe fx?

• Because your friends/fav band do it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I’m the only member in my (local metal) band with digital gear, gotta keep up with the volume. For this I am using my roadster power section. Awaiting the arrival of a Simul 2:90!

When I am rehearsing with a band or gigging without proper monitors, my other band-mates often complain that they can't hear me when I am only using an FRFR (especially drummers). So now my rig and every preset I make are set up to allow me multiple options.
  • Output 1 goes to an FRFR
  • Output 2 goes to FOH
  • Output 3 is for samples/intros when needed (pass thru)
  • Output 4 goes to a real cab thru a Matrix power amp

One of the reasons I use a power amp and cab is when we are playing a show and have no control over the PA. I don't want to be at the mercy of the sound guy when it comes to hearing myself on stage. Nothing worse than starting a show and hitting the first chord and you cant hear a thing.

"Others" and "I have a Cab and want to use it":
Me and the drummer are using IEMs with IRs, the other guitarist and bassist are relying on a loud guitar sound. We sometimes organize concerts, so I have a 2x12" Hesu cabinet which I also use for rehearsals. Live: IRs, but I have a poweramp if for whatever reasons no Line to the FOH is possible.

I didn't select "you dislike the tone you have with an IR" cuz that wouldn't be true, I play thru IRs and monitors every day.

I dislike playing thru IRs and monitors alone (and they're good monitors - atomic clr) just when playing along with a full band in a room/venue.
If other instruments are an acoustic drums, a bass player and another guitarist each with their own amp, the sound coming from the monitors is too thin and the "thump" doesn't cut thru compared to other instruments. Almost feels like my guitar is a recorded sound vs others playing live.

Best of both worlds is a real cab + a feed to monitors/PA, so you get the thump of the cab plus the "UltraHD" mid/treble and stereo separation from full range speakers.
And volume wise I can bury everyone with that setup if I want to 😎

All of the above IMO and IME of course.

PS: I should add that when playing on an outdoor stage with a big PA all of the above becomes irrelevant and I just rely on monitors.

Same answer as in the competing thread > My basement warrier output options:
1. FRFR1 - Axfx Amp/Cab Models > Studio monitors L+R (Yam HS8s+Sub) (dedicated presets).
2. FRLR1 - Axfx Amp/Cab Models > Matrix SS p.a. > F12M-150 cabs L+R (same presets as #1 but with some global eq added for the FR cabs).
3. AITR1 - Axfx Amp Models (p.a. modelling on, IC set to match my V30 cabs) > Matrix SS p.a. > 2x112CB V30 cabs L+R (dedicated presets).
4. AITR2 - Axfx Amp Models (p.a. modelling on ** (note1) ,IC set to resistive ld) > 2 x Tube head returns > 212OB C90s cab Left + 112OB VTyp cab Right (dedicated presets L/R volume matched).
5. AITR3 - Tube head Preamp with Axfx pre/post fx (standard 4CM, no pre/p.a. model active) > 2 x Tube head returns > 212OB C90s cab Left + 112OB VTyp cab Right (dedicated presets L/R volume matched).
6. AITR4 - Tube head Preamp with Axfx pre/post fx > Axfx power amp only model (pre set to "tube pre", p.a. modelling on, IC set to match my V30 cabs) > Matrix SS p.a. > 2x112CB V30 cabs L+R (dedicated presets).
7. FRFR2/FRLR2 - Tube head Preamp with Axfx pre/post fx > Axfx power amp only model (pre set to "tube pre", p.a. modelling on, IC set to match cab model IR used) > Axfx Cab model IR > Studio monitors L+R OR Matrix SS p.a. > F12M-150 cabs L+R with some dedicated eq for FRCabs (dedicated presets).
8. FRFR3/FRLR3 - Loaded down Tube head Pre+Power amp with Axfx pre/post fx (4CM to: amp input / from: attenuator out, no pre/p.a. model active) > Axfx cab model IR > Studio monitors L+R OR Matrix SS p.a. > F12M-150 cabs L+R with some dedicated eq for FRCabs (dedicated presets).
9. FRFR4 - Headphones.

My rig is cabled to allow any given preset to use any one of the above options without any physical re-cabling changes needed. Overall I prefer good ole simple option1 (FRFR) to bring out the best of Axfx across varying sounds, while other options provide more limited / niche sounds that I enjoy for the special thing that they do. I suppose my opinion could change as my ability to tweak and hear differences across these different setups continues to evolve. I like having all the options available to check against frequent discussions and debates about the merits of each format which I can often learn from.

** (note1 for AITR2) - why do I have p.a. modelling on into tube p.a. returns in this case? - It's a compromise since it's running p.a. models into real p.a. which may negate some modelling effect, however: 1. the tube amps I have (H+K, B.S) do not generate a whole lot of power amp color so not having p.a. modelling on can lose a lot of modelled p.a. color depending on the model used. 2. I play at low volume which further reduces the amount of p.a. color that gets generated by the tube heads. With the AITR3 though, I keep p.a. modelling off (no amp block) just in order to run the tube amps as stock as possible + fx into their respective real cabs L+R.

I am old school so I might have painted on ear syndrome. I have gone through a splitter to an amp and the other out direct into my Uaudio interface. In a dense mix I found it hard to tell the difference. When I hear YouTube videos with people playing direct with IRs I think it sounds great. However, I can play using the same plugin, settings, IR, interface, etc as Ola England uses and it doesn’t sound the same to me. More importantly though it’s feel. I can’t explain it but playing via a tube amp like the fryette just responds differently than my orange solid state amp. The Orange sounds great and my band members love it. But when I use the tube amp it just brings another vibe that I can’t replicate with the solid state amp or with the FRFRs I have tried (headrush, QSC, Friedman). Would I prefer using a headrush? Yep, just for the weight alone. Being able to have different cab irs for different songs would be awesome. I might learn to like FRFRs if I just dedicated myself to playing through them. That is why right now I use an amp.

• I have 212 cab that I want use too (stereo)
  • Even sound is very good via Presonus Studio 1810 audio interface / monitor or straigh to monitor
I like some more to sound / feeling through my cab
- Now I can get sounds out same time via my monitors and 212 cab

Sound chain:
SoundChain.jpg

In my main band, I use IRs and in ears. However, I use a power amp and a small cab, when I go to jam with friends or situations, where I don't know what the sound setup will be. It just seems like a slightly more flexible solution that can always be made to work

You forgot: "Because I want to listen to the axe-fx output?"

Active speakers have power amps - FRFR passive speakers need power amps.

What?

You forgot: "Because I want to listen to the axe-fx output?"

Active speakers have power amps - FRFR passive speakers need power amps.

What?
There were two threads created about the same time, one debating IR and FRFR/direct and the other power amp to guitar cab. Earlier in one of the threads I mentioned something similar, even a mic’d cab goes through the PA’s power amp. So you are correct pretty much every option (outside of headphones) needs to go through a power amp of some type

I chose “because I have a cab and want to use it”, but I want to add that in the underground / DIY scene there are some shithole “venues” that might just be a VFW or fire hall with a rented PA. I don’t always have the benefit of a terrific FOH, so having my Matrix gt1600fx and two 4x12s ensures that I can fill the room myself if need be. I don’t miss lugging them around though if I can help it. FRFR and direct to FOH is ideal.

Back
Top Bottom