Whoa!? Monitor differences.

rsf1977_again

Power User
I thought I would just share a little experience about swapping monitors. I had a pair of KRK Rokit 6 G2s and I just upgraded to an older pair of Event 20/20s. Holy crap! The KRKs sound absolutely terrible in comparison. I mean terrrrrrrrrible... crazy uncontrolled low-end smeared highs. The 2 sets of speakers couldn't sound more different. Some people may enjoy their effect on the sound, but I would say these KRKs are a mile from any true representation of your actual tone. So spend a few bucks on your monitors if you want to be more accurate. That's all, cheers dudes! :)

I recently changed from Adam A5's to Equator D5's and I was surprised at the difference too .... The Adam monitors were pretty good when I first bought them, but technology has evolved and the Equator's are quite a bit better ....

Hope I'm not Hijacking, but R.D., what style of music are you playing and listening to through the Equator's? I just took a look at their website and I'm impressed. I was a bit surprised to read they have 100W of power, too.

Hope I'm not Hijacking, but R.D., what style of music are you playing and listening to through the Equator's? I just took a look at their website and I'm impressed. I was a bit surprised to read they have 100W of power, too.

Mainly 80's Hair Band stuff ( Dokken, Journey, REO, Whitesnake, Winger ..., and of course V.H. ) ....

I've got 'em placed right in front of me next to my other computer monitors and they're capable of pushing +105 dB ( or so ) for short periods of time ....

I have 2 rubber mounted D5's in this thing:encouragement: For home use. At gigs, I rely on monitors and Front of House

Makes for a cool looking back-line too.

WOW ! That looks really, REALLY cool .... I'd love to see some more pictures from different angles ....

Did you make that yourself ? Or have it custom built by someone else ?

THANKS !

Yeah , Event are great ! I think our Cliff himself IIRC use it as main reference with his testing .... So....

I'm glad I had some friends helping me with choices when it was time to build my home studio . Event 20/20 is pure awesomeness ...

I'm sure CLR are great too ... But FRFR and studio Monitor is like banana Vs. apples [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

2 completely different thing with different purposes and application ... Never tough to bring my Event to play live [emoji12]

I'm sure CLR are great too ... But FRFR and studio Monitor is like banana Vs. apples [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

2 completely different thing with different purposes and application ... Never tough to bring my Event to play live [emoji12]

That's not true actually. There's no inherent mechanical difference between FRFR speakers and studio monitors, it's just that building a speaker to be super loud, super durable, and super flat/accurate is a very expensive, very challenging thing to do. Because of this, most companies usually just pick one or two of those attributes and build a speaker to meet those criteria.

There's no physical reason a durable, high wattage speaker can't be designed to be as accurate as any other speaker, and thus completely optimal for studio monitoring.

Any other opinions on the Equator D5's?
These seem to be crazy cheap. I am surprised to hear they sound better than the Adams (as I thought those were favorites of a lot of folks).

I'm in the market for a new set of studio monitors....although I was looking to spend somewhere around 800-1000, I'm not going to be upset if I only need to pay 400 for a great set of speakers.

Any other opinions on the Equator D5's?
These seem to be crazy cheap. I am surprised to hear they sound better than the Adams (as I thought those were favorites of a lot of folks).

I'm in the market for a new set of studio monitors....although I was looking to spend somewhere around 800-1000, I'm not going to be upset if I only need to pay 400 for a great set of speakers.

If you're lokking at 5 cones ... JBL Lsr5 is really good for a reasonable price ... Gearslutz have a lot of good reviews about it

WOW ! That looks really, REALLY cool .... I'd love to see some more pictures from different angles ....

Did you make that yourself ? Or have it custom built by someone else ?

THANKS !

Thanks, Made it myself. Way too much work.

8-space rack on top, Drawer at the bottom (for a small mixer, an audio interface, and any non rack-mounted gear), Folding lap-top table, an I/O panel with all needed inputs and outputs, 2 Equator D5's aimed upward like monitors, everything connected (audio, MFC-101, USB, etc...) and communicating.

Very specific for my needs, but super convenient. Power it up and go.

I used 20/20s for years. I just upgraded to Event Opals. They are definitely better but they are taking some getting adjusted to.

Oooh, I think I saw a pair of these on Craig's List a couple days ago....maybe I'l grab those.

D5's are a Big Bang for the buck for sure. I had 2 pair before I upgraded to the Equator Q10's which have really good room correction software.

Back
Top Bottom