Who uses amps they would have never owned actual versions of

If you own all the amps in the axe you are nuts and rich; If you dont use amps blocks that you dont own or never used, YOU ARE CRAZY.

you know to answer the OPPOSITE of your question...

the axefx has made me say 'damn maybe i should buy an AC-15' because it sounded great in the axe- also the same (most esp) with the Ubershall

I am Fender (BF) and Mesa guy and more in clean then crunch and some mid high gain(a Mark II C+ instead of an extreme mode on my Mark V)

If you then start to explore the Axe seriously you find much more and more refined sounds like on clean the HBE.

And i never owned a Princeton was looking into it,but since recent firwares no need anymore, is there.

And sincere hope is that some more tweeds arrive someday

Roland

So far... I still like my real Princeton more. But then again, it's been modded with a EVM 12. Still, no matter what I do, I can't get the same something or other out of their princeton sim. My AxeII twin is really, really close, perhaps better than my real twin.

Could you tell me why you subbed in the Scumback for the existing Celestion 80? What does it do for the tonality? Is it closer to FRFR? In any case, I also use two PE-60's and thus far, I'm pretty happy with them.

Pete

So far... I still like my real Princeton more. But then again, it's been modded with a EVM 12. Still, no matter what I do, I can't get the same something or other out of their princeton sim. My AxeII twin is really, really close, perhaps better than my real twin.

If you have an old Princeton I agree-->IF it its the 65 reissue-->took me 1 hour to dial in very similar sound-->through the Princeton speaker(was ahead of the TM time-->axe cab off-->Matrix-->Princeton speaker)

On the Axe I play it by coincidence with an old EVM12L ( like my Mark V)

My 2 cts

Roland

Last edited:
Could you tell me why you subbed in the Scumback for the existing Celestion 80? What does it do for the tonality? Is it closer to FRFR? In any case, I also use two PE-60's and thus far, I'm pretty happy with them.

Pete

Sure! I blew the original speaker that came in the PE-60. It was not the celestion 80. I experimented by taking the original eminence fender special out of my blues junior into the PE-60 and it sounded ok. I mainly used a tonelab le into this configuration for practice. Then when I got the axe fx2, i wanted to get the IR of the scumback and when I put it in the PE for capture, I really liked how it sounded, so I just kept it. For live, I have the captured IR for foh and monitors and have an fx loop block bypass the cab sim of axe into the power engine. Using the power amps of the Amp block as well.

So to answer you question, it's not a FRFR solution, but more like an "amp in the room" solution on stage for my band mates who are not using IEM. The PE cab is very light and sounds great.

This allows me an extremely versatile setup because you have the eq on the PE that I can tweak to make it sound good to my ears on stage if I am not using my iem and it doesn't change my foh\direct tone at all.

One final note is that the scumback is my go to speaker in almost any instance now. I have experimented with different amp blocks and they all sound different using that IR. The maz 38 amp sounds great with this cab as well!

Last edited:
I mainly use the Axe-Fx to simulate the amp rig I had before: Digitech GSP-2101 and Mesa 20/20 with a T75.

However, I now use an AC30 for cleans and a Tube Pre for other instruments; both of which, I probably never would have purchased.

Inuse wrecker a lot, while I never owned the real thing. On the contrary I rarely use the Mesa Rect while i own and used a lot this amp. The axe allows to test everything and select what sounds best to your ears with no cost associated.

I would never own most of the amps I use. Pretty much only the CAE 3+SE preamp is the one I'd use IRL, none of the other are practical or versital enough for use IRL. I'm talking about plexis, Vox, twins, SLO100 etc. They are all one trick ponies and I need more than that.

Bought an Axe-FX II and MFC-101, then:

• Sold 1993 Matchless HC-30 and ESS 2x12
  • Sold custom make Fuchs ODS-30 and 2x12
  • Sold Carr Slant 6V (2x12 combo)
  • Sold Egnater MOD-50 head and 5 modules

I sold a number of other pieces as well. I don't miss the amps - I can dial in pretty much whatever I need with the Axe-FX II.

I did keep a few pieces because I love them, and I would not get much selling them:

• Fender Hot Rod DeVille (2x12)
  • Tech 21 Trademark 60 (2 of them 2x 1x12)
  • Tech 21 Bronzewood (acosutic amp)
  • Tech 21 PE-60 power engines. I use these with the Axe-FX II (2x 1x12)
  • Carr Mercury (1x12)
  • A 1960A Marshall Cabinet
  • Countless modelers and preamps

And I rarely play most of them. As a longtime player, I have owned many of the amps (but nowhere near half!) that are in the Axe-FX II. I'd have to say that the amp modelling, the flexibility, and the programmability pretty much trumps most of the amps I've ever played. Albeit, some amps just have 'magic' in them, and probably we'll never be able to model that!

Pete

CAE3+:
this IS my main lead/solo amp. I never knew much about it before, other than expensive & uncommon. Best solo tone (Freidman HBE close 2nd) on the unit IMO.

Uberschall:
I had never heard this amp with my own ears. I'd hated every modeler version of this amp, so I steered clear. One day, I'm fiddling with Axe2, and I run into this!!
By far, this is most versatile amp I've ever played thru...love that Presence knob!!! I can truly get any sound except juicy AC30 jangle.
Tip: presence @ 2:00, run in stereo with Mark IV lead and it simply THUNDERS.

Divided by 13 CJ11:
I never got into tweeds until this (I didn't know the company existed until Line 6 HD). Fantastic sound- not crystal clear like a Mark series, but punchy in its own right. Nails that vintage tweed tone perfectly

I don't use any of the amps I've owned in the past... Rectos, Bogner XTC, Bogner Uberschall, 5150.... well I use the 5150 on the axe still.. it's too good not to!

I'm curious. I have a pair of the Tech 21 Power Engines that I was using with the Axe FX II (until I got the RCF's). Thought about selling them, but I'd like to know what you think of the Scumbacks, and why you made the change. Also - where did you get them (and how much $$, if you don't mind my asking)?

If I had to make my Axe FX 2 rig physical I would need a large truck and roadies to get everything set up. For my live rig I use amp blocks for Fender Twin, Mesa MKIV, Friedman HB/HBE and Dirty Shirley, Trainwreck, JTM 45, Divided by 13, Badger, Hiwatt, Customized block using CA3+ in the tone stack of a Shiva (pure heaven with my strat) mixed and matched with a number of different Cab IRs. I could never afford a few of these amps let alone the full list. This box is glorious and I am able to produce tones in clubs that rival that of big named folks in high profile venues. Cliff has changed everything for the common guitar player, if they are willing to embrace the technology and go on the journey!

I have been using the Dr Z, Wrecker, BE, Plexi, Slo and OR-50. Was surprised I liked the Dr Z but wow. I own the 20th A Xtc and have the Afx2 dialed in pretty close. Been using the return of the Bogner as a power amp into a 20th A 412 cab, Very impressive. Once in a while I use the RT2/50 into 2 Cameron cubes w/EVL 12BLS 300w 'ers ……Hell YEAH! :D

layre said:
1) If I had to make my Axe FX 2 rig physical I would need a large truck and roadies to get everything set up.
2) I could never afford a few of these amps...(yet) I am able to produce tones in clubs that rival that of big named folks in high profile venues.

What he said

The fact that the 2 princetons are a tweed and a non-reverb is weird to me. My BF princeton reverb sounds amazing. A silverface non-reverb ok. The reverb model has more gain. It is a great amp and I wish Cliff would model one. Mine's available.

I use some, but I always seem to migrate back to the simulations of the ones that I own and am most comfortable with. My H&K zenTera was the modelling amp that inspired me to buy several new tube amps just to hear what the genuine article sounded like and get the variety of tonal colors that I fell in love with. I am glad I had that experience, but I found the Axe FX II to be more practical out and about.

Last edited:
Most of the amps in this box are dream amps for me due to price. I love the Diezel amps and could never afford them. As far as the Camerons, I could never get a friend to sell me theirs. :)

I'd still love to get Cliff to do a copy of the Cameron Aldrich. That is the best amp I've ever heard in my life.

Back
Top Bottom