Who use always the same IR in every preset?

I use more or less the same two IR's for everything high gain - Leon's tv mix 7 for brighter tone and my old Fremen marshall IR for richer scooped tone.

I dabbled with dynacabs but have stopped using those because I tend to get a thinner fizzier tone with those by comparison, even after the cuts. There is a specific type of sound from the dynacabs overall, which I still think is decent, just not quite as pleasing as my favourite IR's

I use a Tone Factor 2x12 Greenback IR for 98% of my presets. Changing IR's seems to change the basic character of the sound and makes different presets hard to balance in the mix, and makes for too varied of a tone. I think back to the days when people only had one amp for everything live. Different amps is all the variance I want or need.

Using the same IR across presets is a great way to bring some cohesion to your cadre of patches used throughout the night. I had a sound man whose ears I trust once tell me that each of my individual patches sounded great, but it was near-impossible to make them sound as good when switching patch to patch. Too much tonal variation. I moved to using the same or similar cabs, and was able to get the essence of each amp in a more consistent presentation. It was a good lesson on using modeling on the live stage.

I can't really settle on one specific IR. I always change between different vendors like York Audio, Ownhammer, sometimes the Bert Meulendijk High Gain IR pack which sounds fantastic and sometimes stock cabs. I am not a gigging musician at the moment, so I don't have a main live set. Also, I always switch up my favorite cab brand like one week I am really into Mesa, next I really dig Marshall, right now I am really into the YA Bogna pack. There is just something special about Bogner cabs.
Edit: I also use the Leon Todd IRs quite often, they are amazing as well!

Last edited:
I typically have a preset for each amp model I use. I build the preset from scratch and that includes IR selection.

My JCM800 2203 preset uses a Greenback loaded 4x12 cab IR. I don't use the same IR for my Princeton preset. My Princeton preset doesn't even have just one IR, it has both a 1x12 and 1x10 cab IR option (different cab channels) depending on my mood.

When I dial in amps I often have two clean scenes with different amp settings and sometimes different IRs (different mic mix or placement); one for neck pickup and one for bridge. Not to make them sound similar, but to make them each sound their best.

For me one huge advantage of using modeling is the ability to change up the sound to suit the mood and song.

I am not playing live shows these days but I would have thought that modeling also would enable shaping and leveling of presets so that the main band mix at FOH would not need to change each time you switch presets.

I would think that switching in different effects such as fuzz, POG, and shimmer reverbs etc. have much more impact on the mix than swapping presets with different IRs.

I am genuinely curious to hear from those gigging with modelers....is it too difficult to shape and level presets with different IRs to keep the FOH person from becoming annoyed?

Last edited:
Warms my heart to know so many people are making guitar noises with those IR's.

I usually roll with the same amp and IR throughout a show. TV Mix 7 has been the one for a while now, paired with the Mark IV model for Ragdoll original shows and with the 2204 when we do cover gigs. I'm on tour with a theater show next month and I'm using the 2203 High for everything crunchy and the 2204 Low for cleans with the same IR.

I've been using this IR for pop gigs where I'm mostly playing funky clean stuff all night - https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?cab=756

I've been using the mad_oak_basketweave_r121 for every single guitar amp, since forever.

I still haven't found a "better" one for my tastes.

Back
Top Bottom