Who has and uses a Midas MR18 live and in studio?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I just left my band of 9 years just because of doing same venue only, every month, and setlist was not turned over enough at all. Anyways, all good and no enemies and may go back to it after break.

Sold them my QSC Touchmix 16, which we used for 9 years without fail. I just bought a Midas MR18 and was wanting to hear praise or someone that had Touchmix before and moved to Midas? Yes and I know about needing an external router with MR18 and not a problem.

Got this for putting together a 90's band and wanting to start to record on Imac at home with my kids as we would have a blast.

Would you all recommend something better than the MR18? I bought and on way, but can always flip if need.

watching. we're thinking about letting go of our old presonus 16.4.2 because it weighs over 25kg in the case and moving to a behringer xr18. the only thing that worries me is reliability.

watching. we're thinking about letting go of our old presonus 16.4.2 because it weighs over 25kg in the case and moving to a behringer xr18. the only thing that worries me is reliability.
From what I heard the Midas version has better preamps and worth the minute price difference. Internal router is only thing I think folks are bitching about. Add an external router and done.

there's a 200 quid difference here in the uk between the behringer and the midas...new and used. not really minute. none of us have any spare cash, so we can only spend what we can get for the old desk.

there's a 200 quid difference here in the uk between the behringer and the midas...new and used. not really minute. none of us have any spare cash, so we can only spend what we can get for the old desk.
I just bought one off Reverb yesterday for $700 shipped. Best deal I could find for the MR18. Yes $200 is a lot, but IMO over time and ability to have better mic pres would be well worth that difference. We all have budgets though! I wanted the X32 but did not want to afford that!

From reviews, it seems that the latest iPad OS breaks a lot of digital mixers that require an app. My former band used A Soundcraft mixer that had a built in web server for the interface. It just seems like a better appoach. Following this thread with interest!

X Air and M Air apps were updated last week, supposedly that resolves the ios 16 crash issues but haven't had an opportunity to test drive yet

I had an X Air 18 for years and it was solid. 5 mono sub-mixes so everyone got a custom monitor mix. Enough inputs for our needs. Sounded fine. Weighed nothing. Would 100% use one again. Sold it after the CA>NH move because I didn't need it any more.

moving to a behringer xr18
Move to xr18 only if you are ok with a very noticeable delay.
I wasn't able to play with it, at all. Can't recommend for a live application. It also doesn't seem to have a direct monitoring option, which makes it unusable for recording too(IMO!).

Move to xr18 only if you are ok with a very noticeable delay.
I wasn't able to play with it, at all. Can't recommend for a live application. It also doesn't seem to have a direct monitoring option, which makes it unusable for recording too(IMO!).
This wasn't my experience with it. Delay from where to where?

Delay from where to where?
Fm3-xr18-powered speakers.
Documentation says it has 0.5ms latency. Forums say 11ms. I don't believe either number is correct, I would say 4 to 8 ms.
Tolerable, but not for me. That's why I suggested to try first!

Last edited:
We've been using a Mackie DL32R for about 6-7 years.

It's can do 6 stereo aux outputs, so we all get personal stereo mixes.

There's been little in the way of issues. Works from iOS and Android and somewhat recently they added a version for PC and (I think) Mac.

More inputs/outputs than most of the competition and better cost.

Requires an external router.

We use it for in ears (we're 100% direct, no stage volume).

We connect it to the ProTools computer for 32 channels of recording. It can also record to a directly attached drive or to the MasterFader (mixer) app, although I never use that.

My XR-18 was solid, never had any reliability issues. I switched to the Soundcraft Ui24R because I liked their browser-based UI better than the multitude of apps available for the XR-18. I also like having the direct multitrack recording onto a USB thumb drive. I don't think I'd use it to try to get a commercial recording, but it's handy for critiquing a live performance.

Fm3-xr18-powered speakers.
Documentation says it has 0.5ms latency. Forums say 11ms. I don't believe either number is correct, I would say 4 to 8 ms.
Tolerable, but not for me. That's why I suggested to try first!

Interesting. I never noticed it.

We didn't use the onboard effects much, if it all.

Interesting. I never noticed it.
It took me a few hours to realize what bothers me, but once I've started hearing it, I wasn't able to un-hear. I turned off all and every effect on my channel and overall output, but the delay was there. Seems like a nature of the beast.
I've only noticed it because I was on my own shredding through backing tracks for a few hours and comparing presets. I doubt I'd noticed it in a loud band situation, but when there is not much obscuring direct acoustic guitar sound, the latency starts to present itself. I wasn't believing my own ears because overall effect was like playing via software plugins back in 2005, and I thought that XR18 is a hardware mixer back then.
That's why I think it is 4 to 8ms delay, but who knows, people on forums report 5 to 11 ms. So it's probably changing with the load, dunno. This accurately I can't detect with my ears :D

Hmmm? I've been using an XR18 for many years, live and at home. Never had any issue with it!

I use it at home to have multiple modelers connected at once, for quick access to any of them. And to be able to A/B between them when comparing firmware and/or presets. This configuration will include the latency of the modeler and the XR18, and still can't feel any latency. I never use it for recording any guitar. I use the modeler (except the AX8) as the interface in those cases.

I use it live for my band at every show (and for a couple other bands that I ran sound for). Even use it as a sub-mixer for larger venues. Send the FOH engineer our full stereo mix, and our three monitor mixes for the floor wedges to the monitor mix engineer. We still have full control over our individual wedges, and FOH just treats it like stereo music playback. We make a few adjustments at soundcheck at each new venue. Then I save that mix for the next time that we may play there.

We use the built-in effects too. A slap-back delay with chorus, a long delay, and plate reverb for the vocal channels. And another Hall reverb for the snare, toms, and cymbals. The four effect returns are similar to the other channel strips, so I can EQ each effect, very handy. I also have a compressor on the guitar channels, that is side-chained to the main vocal channel, that ducks the guitar by up to 3 dB when the singer is singing.

Use the XR18 at home pretty much every day, and a few hundred live shows over the past several years. Not one issue.

Ui24r from Soundcraft has served me and my band well so far. Might be a good option for you if you need more inputs. Like all other digital mixers, adding an external router is best.
I must admit I’m GASing on the new Yamaha DM3 mixers though since I do miss having real faders sometimes. The Yamaha is the only new digital mixer released in the last couple of years from what I can tell. So many of them are already 5-7 years old and certainly don’t receive firmware updates as often as our FAS gear lol.

Back
Top Bottom