Which power solution do you prefer?

Which power solution do you prefer?

• Total voters

zepp88

Firstly, I appologize if this has been done here before, I tried a search but it filters out "power" and "amp" because they are too common of terms.

I'd like to get a general consensus of how you guys are using you AxeFx's, and your reasons why.

I'm using a Mesa 50/50 with mine and I think it sounds great, but I'm looking for a more transparent solution. I'm also really interested to see a reply from Cliff, since he has a VHT 2/50/2 in his rack. (From the last pics I saw anyways...)

Today I tried my AxeFx through a B52 LG100A's power amp and was quite underwhelmed, maybe it's just a crappy power amp, or maybe the tubes do make a difference?

I'm eventually going with the Atomic FR, but until they are available, I'm using what I've got.

A Vetta II.

Probably not the best solution, but it will do until the time comes to for over the cash for the Atomic.

Who knows, maybe the Atomics will be in full production by the time I get my Axe-FX, and I won't have to wait.

Keep in mind most people's needs/desires/peeves are not the same as the next person's. Some want simplicity, some want tubes, some want less weight, some want the look of a stack, some want wedges, some want stereo, some play LOUD, less calories/more taste, etc, etc. No one way is "better", just different.

I play live 3 times per month (all nighters) in the band, and maybe once a month at informal blues jams. Depending on the venue, the house PA, the size of the stage and my mood, I will decide what to bring and how to hook it up. There are +/- with each option. But honestly, I have as much fun plugging straight into my Dr Z mini-Z as I do plugging into the Axu Ultra and a pair of QSCs. Its just different, not better/worse.

Gittarenschlumpf, could you tell me a bit about this Blue cabinet? Does it have tubes?

My German's not quite good enough for all that :lol:

The Blue does not have tubes. It has a digital mixer for connections and local tone control and it's stereo. Can't find the website...

It looks like it's a bit over kill with the digital mixer built in, how is the sound of it? Can you get that "bowel shaking" sound and feel like you'd get with a tube power amp and a 4x12 cabinet?

zepp88 said:
It looks like it's a bit over kill with the digital mixer built in, how is the sound of it? Can you get that "bowel shaking" sound and feel like you'd get with a tube power amp and a 4x12 cabinet?
It sounds great. But I might be prejudiced because I built it. The little digital mixer reproduces the sound of a tube. Some time ago this was a nice feature for me when I used my Line 6 Pod X3 Live with it. But now it´s axefx-time and I don´t need simulated tubes. A 2x10 replaces no 4x12. My amps is able to sound like a 4x12 but it will never be so loud. For that I´m building a subwoofer for my "Blue" and I think, it will rock.

Sounds interesting, I'd love to try one out, have you sold any to people in the US yet? I'm currently using a Vader cabinet, and playing a Dual Rectifier through that is a devastating experience :lol:

Interesting that the mixer emulates tubes, can that feature be defeated?

Yes, you can turn this feature off. ... I sold no amp and none heard it. Okay, my band and 6000 people in the audience. :lol: I built this one just for me and maybe some other amps will follow. Wondering if I should build amps in serial production.

It looks like a great idea, and a good alternative to Atomics offerings, which I think also look really cool. And...competition is good! :)

Now, if we had teleporters checking it out wouldn't be an issue, but scientists continue to ignore Star Trek. :x

Back
Top Bottom