Which Amp's preamp section is most similar to the Peavey Rockmaster Preamp?

Joker

Inspired
I already tried the 5150 models but they seems to lack that graininess of the rockmaster. Any other suggestions?

I've also attached the schematic in case somebody wants to take a closer look as I can't decipher much with my extremely limited network electrical circuits knowledge.

Attachments

• Peavey-RockMaster-Preamp-2-91-Schematic.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
I can't really answer your question - but I can say that I LOVED my Rockmaster. One of my greatest regrets is selling it for a stupid Rocktron Prophesy.

Maybe we need a model of the Peavey Triumph series - they're basically a Rockmaster into a pair or quad of 6L6s.

If I remember right these had an active EQ on them that could add and subtract with each knob. So changing the tonestack to an active one might help too

Yes. The Crunch and Utra channels shared a three band active EQ with a push/pull mid shift. The clean channel had a standard passive EQ.

A couple of suggestions: Friedman HBE, or the FAS Brown if you're looking for that EVH tone.
I'm looking for that Danger Danger Andy Timmons tone:

I can get close with the Soldano X88 lead model and a bit of advanced tweaking, but it still seems a bit smoother than the Rockmaster and lacks that sponginess and graininess. Maybe there's an amp in the Axe that's even closer than the X88 to the rockmaster preamp...

I sold both of mine in my tube amp/preamp purge. I think you'll be more in the neighborhood starting with the 800 or 800mod.

I still have my Rock Master. Never tried to clone it, though. Whatever the preamp, it’s always flavored by the power amp you choose.

I still have my Rock Master. Never tried to clone it, though. Whatever the preamp, it’s always flavored by the power amp you choose.
I used a Peavey Classic 50/50 with EL84s for a while and then a Mesa 2:50 and 2:90. Always sounded great. I owned a couple and I think the one I still own has a mod to the effects loops.

A Rock Master with a Classic 50/50, you say? This was my FX8 test rig. It still gets cranked up now and then.

How did you mod the effects loops?
I used to work in a used and vintage shop in the 90's and they had a bunch of them come through there. I purchased it used and it was already modified. My understanding is it did something to bypass the ridiculous amount of loops and just had a one loop for all channels. Not sure if it did anything special, but of all the Rock Masters I owned, this one sounded the best.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom