Which Amp model to use for sparkly cleans ?

Japster

Inspired
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for Amp models to use for Sparkly Cleans, I've tried a few e.g. USA Clean 1 & 2 but find they break up quite early before I can get any decent volume out of them.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

double verb and shiver clean - don't be afraid to put the drive at values under 1 like .45 or .78 etc.

your master volume too high can also introduce power amp distortion, so mess with that a bit too.

Hi,

they break up quite early before I can get any decent volume out of them.

turn up the level parameter?

usa clean my go to for general clean tones

drive 4
bass 2
mid 5.5
treb 5
bright on
pres .5
depth 0
master 6.5

i use single coils with this, it might break up a bit with humbuckers

try the fenders (lower the input trim to 0.5 if it's too gainy), shiver clean as chris suggested, solo 99 clean, or the JM45

use a little compression in front of the amp as well

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for Amp models to use for Sparkly Cleans, I've tried a few e.g. USA Clean 1 & 2 but find they break up quite early before I can get any decent volume out of them.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,
The tone controls of the USA Clean 1 are like the ones of the USA Lead and IIc+. They are located before the preamp and therefore act gain-like. If you don't want early break up:
  • Obviously, turn drive down ... below 3 should be ok, as long as you don't hit your strings very hard.
  • Turn the level up to compensate for the volume loss.
  • Don't crank the BMT-knobs too high. Especially the bass-knob, keep it below 3.
  • Use the presence-control to open up the sound.
  • Use a PEQ, GEQ or the AMP-EQ for precise toneshaping.

Before touching the drive, back off the input trim in the amp block until there is no breakup. Then add amp block level to restore volume.

Sparkle is in the upper midrange. After turning down the input trim and re-leveling, use the amp block graphic eq to boost 1K and or 2K to taste. A little goes a long way here. The easiest way is to dial in the brightness at volume and then when you lower the volume, don't be tempted to add brightness at low volume or the preset will be ice picks at show volume.

Richard

Excellent guys,

That's just the advice I needed, I have an old Mesa Studio Pre-amp and was trying to create the wide open airy sound with loads of headroom that I could produce with that.

Using only the drive to get rid of breakup sounds thin to me.

I prefer the input trim first.

Obviously high drive values aren't gonna cleanup but drive at 3-4 and low input trim sounds better to my ears than drive at 1.

As in real world, if you want really clean cleans, single coil or split coils gets the job done best along with the great suggestions in this thread.

For those of us used to running the gtr volume around 7 for clean amps, the input trim really does allow you to run your humbucker guitars at 10 and still create a clean preset with zero breakup.

That is pretty cool.

Richard

Excellent guys,

That's just the advice I needed, I have an old Mesa Studio Pre-amp and was trying to create the wide open airy sound with loads of headroom that I could produce with that.

I have one of those and it's an amazing clean. Huge and fat and very resistant to break up. One of the best cleans ever. Very unlike Fender clean, but still really great.

AC30 !! Just back the preamp way down... The lower, the brighter and more sparkling... Just add a chorus, and OMG !!

I have one of those and it's an amazing clean. Huge and fat and very resistant to break up. One of the best cleans ever. Very unlike Fender clean, but still really great.

Would I be able to "Amp Match" the old Mesa Preamp or does it need to go through a power-amp & Cab too ?

The Mesa Studio Pre has "recording line level outputs" in Stereo

Last edited:
AC30 !! Just back the preamp way down... The lower, the brighter and more sparkling... Just add a chorus, and OMG !!

For ultra-clean tones. what are you using for a drive setting?

This same question for the Buttery?

I want to maximize signal-to-noise when running as clean as possible. Any suggestions?

It seems these sub 0.25 - 1.00 drive settings reduces input volume a lot which in turn makes you increase the AMP level; therefore "could" decrease signal-to-noise.
I'm just trying to maximize gain staging. Am I on to something here, or am I on something? LOL

Last edited:
+13? for the Shiver Clean. Crank the master almost all the way up. Lower drive until it's clean but still nicely compressed. Raise the volume for clean headroom.

Back
Top Bottom