Where to start!

squidlips

I'm having a secret love affair with an Ultra, just don't tell my Vetta! I have a few questions, so I suppose I'll just start with what I want...

I want a flexible, extremely high quality, affordable, easy to transport rig that can be used for practicing by myself, with the full band, for various live situations and for recording. So I want an Axe Fx Ultra through a FRFR setup, I know that much. :)

I'd like to have a setup so that when I tweak a preset at home or with the band it sounds as similar as possible when recording or vice versa. So what sort of setup would best suit itself to this?

My initial, very uninformed, idea at the moment would be something like...

GUITAR > PREAMP > ULTRA > PERSONAL MONITOR output + P.A output

Anything I'm missing here? Any advice or things I haven't thought about? Comments, criticism, anything would be hugely helpful. :D

For starters, you don't really need a preamp, as you can dial in the AxeFX to match any preamp you want.

So, a 2-space rack with the AxeFX (or a 3-space if you want to use a power conditioner) is all you need. I use a Gator effects rack, it's shorter than a typical rack and lets you access your cabling with the back panel off. Don't bother with the SKB effects roto rack, it's a half-inch too short to fit the AxeFX and the extra room in the Gator lets you keep cables connected within the rack, if you are using a power conditioner, etc.

Guitar -> AxeFX -> FRFR (try the Verve 12MA or the QSC K10 or K12) -> PA

If you choose a good FRFR speaker, you will find it's pretty easy to get it to match a pair of studio monitors if you have them. I have had good success dialing in sounds on a pair of Behringer 2031 Truth monitors ($300 a pair or so) and then playing out live with the QSC K12 as a stage monitor.

Some people like the smaller FRFR speakers, like the Verve 8MA, but if you are playing on a loud stage, you might want the larger size.

Ultra: $2000
QSC K12 or Verve 12MA: $670 or so if you shop around. (The Verve 12MA is hard to find in stock. Not sure about the QSC.)
Rack: $95

Thanks for the great reply, I wasn't expecting anything that quick, let alone something that I actually learned from! :)

For some reason I was under the impression that it was favorable to use a standalone preamp with the Axe Fx, maybe it was my time with Guitar Rig where I always wished I had one instead of the good old BBE DI. :)

Will definitely be using the best protection available to me, this is going to be my ONLY rig so I need to be able to count on it.

Did you know why some people preferred the smaller FRFR speakers?

Size and weight, primarily.

Look for some posts by hippietim ... he tried a Verve 8MA at a gig by itself, and it couldn't quite hold its own. But Scott loves his 8MA for a stage monitor. And it would probably be great for use in a home studio.

Thanks for the heads up on the 12ma, I havn't been able to find one for much under $1000 yet so if anyone has any links that would be smashing. It definitely seems like the way to go. :)

As far as power conditioners is there anything that's considered the best? Within reason obviously, I'll be insuring my rig once I get it but I don't mind spending a few hundred to be sure I have it with me at all times and don't have to get it repaired/replaced.

Also, I was mistaken in my first post.. it wasn't preamps I was seeing alot of, it was power amps. Is that not necessary/benifitial with the 12ma, more of a guitar cab kind of thing?

Loving this forum, g.a.s'ing sooo hard. :)

Although it isn't in the signal chain, for live performance you might want to consider adding a MIDI controller. Many Axe-Fx users who gig or tour use MIDI foot controllers to do on-the-fly preset selection, as well as turning effects on/off through "Instant Access" footswitch assignments. If you already use an FBV controller with your Vetta, then you'll know what I mean.

Bump!

Questions:
1. Cheap links to the 12ma, I'm in Australia if it helps
2. Best way to insure the life of the Axe Fx Ultra, poweramp, 12ma etc
3. Do I need or want or power amp and if so why?

I can't help on your first two questions, but you'll want a poweramp if you want to drive unpowered PA speakers (or a guitar cab or whatnot). If you're plugging into powered PA speakers you don't need one (as they have a built-in power amp). A power amp just take the line level (low power) signal output by your preamp (the Axe FX) and juices it up until it's capable of pushing speakers to create volume :)

i might be able to get it sent and then re-directed, not too worried about that. does the power amp colour your sound? I'm going to be running an Agile 8 string through this and wouldn't want a crappy onborad power amp to colour the sound.

Back
Top Bottom