Where do you buy your guitars from?

mworkman said:
Guitar-Tiz said:
I really hope, for my wifes sanity that I win the lottery, or start a successful business or something before I hit 60.

You'll have better odds playing the lottery.

Are you trying to be funny? Nobody's laughing. This is the kind of negativity this forum does not need. And Guitar-Tiz there's nothing wrong with spending "too" much money on your guitar gear. I mean it's your money right? I'm 10 years younger than you and I've spent something between 20 000$ - 30 000$ already. (well when I sold my tube gear and got the Axe-Fx I got a few Ks back)

Clark Kent said:
I think the first thing you need to decide is what to get and then just find a way to get it. eBay is good (since I know that our country has a very slim selection in stores). Have you played PRS guitars? .... You can find those quite cheap in muusikoiden.net too but if you are investing a lot of money then I suggest you get a new one.
Haven't tried PRS but I should. Currently I have a good custom built 6-string guitar as my main axe that is tuned 1 step down. I'd like to go lower but not gonna happen with that guitar (maybe I should have 6-string baritone guitar). So currently I'm leaning towards 7 or 8 string to get that lower register. I guess I should try baritone because I'll probably tune it 1 step, or more, down.

I may also buy an acoustic, or two, while I'm at it. Maybe a bass too. GAS.

Thanks for the tips, online stores, buying second hand, ebay, muusikoiden.net, etc. Keep 'em coming..

mark_melling said:
Sorry pops..ill learn respect to the more "mature" generation...tell me while chomping on your pterodactyl burger were you guys playing on this?? :lol:

MARK! That was the good ol' T-REX 3! How did you get this picture? Back then, our only amplification was playing the damn thing in a cave! (Nice reverb there I might add.)

VirgilGuitar said:
mark_melling said:
VirgilGuitar said:
PS, I really think I am going through a mid-life crisis (Turning 47 this month) but hey, wouldn't you rather spend the money on a new AxeFX and a couple new guitars than a Corvette? LMAO :lol:

47 WOW i thought guys your age only existed in books!! :lol:

Oh that hurts!

Sonny, we were playing guitars when pterodactyl's tasted like chicken.

Hey haven't you guys heard 40's are the new 30's. It's all about keeping fit and having a youthful attitude ;)

Clark Kent said:
Wow you guys are literally more than twice my age. Nice! :lol:

I think the first thing you need to decide is what to get and then just find a way to get it. eBay is good (since I know that our country has a very slim selection in stores). Have you played PRS guitars? Those sure are the best guitars out there IMO. I haven't played Suhr or Anderson... they might be just as good or better/worse. Anyways with PRS you get the versatility creamyness and a comfortable mobility + a nice looking instrument all in one. Stays in tune better than my Gibson LP ever did altough it's got a trembar. You can find those quite cheap in muusikoiden.net too but if you are investing a lot of money then I suggest you get a new one.

I have to agree with Clark here... my PRS Custom 22 is 9 years old and is the "Favored" axe in my studio (Just don't tell the other guitars).
They have a cool coil tap in them where you can get the single coil tone, or the HB sound (On the dial without pushing or pulling)- the quality and the resonance on this guitar is supreme and I also have the stoptail piece, so notes last until the cows come in. They can be a bit pricey, but you know the old saying: "The poor man always pays twice".

VirgilGuitar said:
mark_melling said:
Sorry pops..ill learn respect to the more "mature" generation...tell me while chomping on your pterodactyl burger were you guys playing on this?? :lol:

MARK! That was the good ol' T-REX 3! How did you get this picture? Back then, our only amplification was playing the damn thing in a cave! (Nice reverb there I might add.)

Oh it was just something i "dug up" in my spare time!! :lol:

mark_melling said:
VirgilGuitar said:
[quote="mark_melling":3t7ylz1f]

Oh it was just something i "dug up" in my spare time!! :lol:[/quote:3t7ylz1f]
Ahhhh, you found some of our "Post Concert Photos" This is what we did back in those days when fans forgot to applaud after a song.

Been playing guitar singe 1973, I've owned a LOT of different guitars over the years. I now only purchase Carvin Custom Shop guitars; IMHO, all others are second best! I do still have a rare Gibson acoustic that hasn't been replaced with a Carvin Custom Shop guitar "yet".

Carvins here too... I have many other "Custom Shop" guitars from the 80's, but now custom order Carvins... they play great, tons of custom options, including Stainless Steel frets, and their finishes are true works of art... their Burst finishes are amazing... that's all I'm gonna say cuz I'm starting to sound like a "fanboy"...

Although I DO like the feel of the necks on the EB Petrucci...

Spoons said:
Been playing guitar singe 1973, I've owned a LOT of different guitars over the years. I now only purchase Carvin Custom Shop guitars; IMHO, all others are second best! I do still have a rare Gibson acoustic that hasn't been replaced with a Carvin Custom Shop guitar "yet".

Spoons - first off, you sound WAY older than me (Which frankly, is quite scary!) But also, you know I'm right behind you - as soon as the rest of the cash comes in, I'm working on my first Carvin! I can't wait to hear it through my AxeFX - this waiting crap is for the birds LOL... :roll:

VirgilGuitar said:
Spoons - first off, you sound WAY older than me (Which frankly, is quite scary!)
50+ here AND I have an empty nest to boot!!!!!!!!!
So now I get exactly what I want, pretty much WHEN I want, and I NEVER buy junk!

P.S. For me, Age is almost completely irrelevant when it comes to music.

Age is overrated, it just means you haven't died yet, and that's a good thing.
Everyone is getting older every second.

I heard 40's are the new 20's (50's are actually the 30's)! I'm looking forward to those. I'm still just a teenager according to that.
As far as guitars goes, I'm thoroughly enjoying my most recent, a Suhr GG, bought at Boutique Tone (boutiquetone.com).

tgunn said:
I heard 40's are the new 20's (50's are actually the 30's)! I'm looking forward to those. I'm still just a teenager according to that.
As far as guitars goes, I'm thoroughly enjoying my most recent, a Suhr GG, bought at Boutique Tone (boutiquetone.com).

Yea and death is the new being born... ;) Who started this ageism anyway!! :lol:

I'm seeing tons of PRS / Anderson / Suhr talk, but nobody mentioned McNaughts? Do you guys not know about DTM guitars? I have a McNaught Phoenix Rising - it plays, looks, and sounds a lot better than any guitar I've ever played. It's the same deal as Suhr, you need to wait months to get the thing because it's completely custom. I've never played a Suhr or a Carvin (never seen any in person actually), however I seriously doubt they could be any better.

Spoons said:
P.S. For me, Age is almost completely irrelevant when it comes to music.
Age, yes. Arthritis or Repetitive Stress Injuries, not so much!

Another downside to age is that when I first picked up a guitar, the collective consciousness didn't have a lot of tricks up its sleeve yet. Les Paul was actually pretty advanced. Rockabilly, some pentatonic blues cliches. You young whippersnappers grow up exposed to a lot more of the instrument's potential, and a lot more options for learning what's already out there.

Oddly enough, we still had better music. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom