Where are the Axe II samples? Come on, beta testers!

This is the first II clip I have been really impressed with, that's a great clean sound. What guitar and pickups are you using?
Now we need some equally great distorted tones.

Thanks, The guitar is a Suhr Modern24 with
- JST SSV Humbucker (neck)
- JST FL Single coil (middle)
- JST SSH+ Humbucker (bridge)

I had it split between the neck/middle I believe for that clip.

Dave

I can make the standard sound like this..

hmm can i hear it ? the sound , is for me , "fuller" et "juicier" (especially in the mid) than any van halen clip i heard of axe fx standard or ultra.that's (based on this clip and scott's one) why i will buy axe 2 .

The clip demonstrates the "note bloom" that VVT produces. In the slow passage at the start listen to the character of the sustained notes changing.

That's just Plexi Treble cranked into a Basketweave G12H30. Little delay and 'verb. No EQ or any other processing.

The clip demonstrates the "note bloom" that VVT produces. In the slow passage at the start listen to the character of the sustained notes changing.
It's all over the place on all the sustained notes. That's what made me wonder which amp. I got wood for VVT, that's for sure!

Cool - I can hear the character change - compares well to the changes of the original.

Is the "note bloom" you heard what led you to develop VVT - to capture that change over time?

Cool - I can hear the character change - compares well to the changes of the original.

Is the "note bloom" you heard what led you to develop VVT - to capture that change over time?

Yes, that was one of the reasons. As you listen to clips from modelers what you start to recognize is a certain "stationary" aspect to the tone compared to the every-changing tonality of a tube amp.

Another thing is finger response. With a good tube amp you can vary the tone quite a bit just by how you fret the note and attack it. Modelers tend to make every note sound the same.

So I tested some hypotheses and came to the conclusion that it's because a real vacuum tube has a transfer function that is not static. The transfer function is dependent on time, frequency and amplitude. Where you really hear it is in the in-between regions where the tube is just starting to distort.

At first I tried some dynamic transfer functions but that was a lesson in futility. So then I created the VVT stuff. In VVT there is an actual vacuum-tube replica in software. You enter the values of the resistors and capacitors on the grid, cathode, etc. and it behaves just like a tube complete with Miller effect, cathode memory, etc. The problem is that it requires an obscene amount of horsepower so the only solution was a dedicated DSP.

The other big part of the G2 sound is the output transformer modeling. The OT distorts and as it distorts its inductance decreases which changes the bandwidth and loop characteristics.

Back
Top Bottom