When's the last time you broke a string during a gig?

Very rarely (years in between) and then on my main gigging guitar I broke the B string like 4 times in 8 months. My guitar repair guy looked at it and saw some damage to the saddle on the B string that caused it. My main gigging guitar is a PRS Custom 22 Piezo and PRS doesn't sell individual Piezo saddles so he had to order a complete new bridge from PRS. Expensive but what was I supposed to do. The guitar is awesome and is once again awesome 😀

Very rarely (years in between) and then on my main gigging guitar I broke the B string like 4 times in 8 months. My guitar repair guy looked at it and saw some damage to the saddle on the B string that caused it. My main gigging guitar is a PRS Custom 22 Piezo and PRS doesn't sell individual Piezo saddles so he had to order a complete new bridge from PRS. Expensive but what was I supposed to do. The guitar is awesome and is once again awesome 😀
Good to know about PR piezo saddles .It s a shame ...

I very rarely break strings on gigs or at home. Especially since I started using 10-46 strings.

I had a tour about 20 years ago where I broke a string almost every night. I was using a new Music Man Axis with 9-42 strings at the time. Turned out it had some sharp edges on the bridge saddle. Once I had that fixed I rarely broke strings, and once I started using a heavier gauge a don’t break string at all.

I also change strings once a month, mostly for tone reasons, but not breaking strings is also a good side effect.

I have not broken a string in decades. I change them before every gig. They don't even seem to break when I practice or play at home -- I presume because I change them regularly.

I have not broken a string in decades. I change them before every gig. They don't even seem to break when I practice or play at home -- I presume because I change them regularly.
I rarely change my strings. Once a year? So I attributed that to the reasons they never break. :D

I change regularly, although probably not as often as some. Since switching to NYXLs, I haven't broke a single one. Not sure if this is because of regular changing or the strings themselves, but it's working out fine. That said, I always (ALWAYS) bring a second guitar and have it tuned and ready- most of my guitars are trem guitars, so a string popping will take it out of commission.

I had a guitar for a little while- a G&L Doheny V12- one of the first ones made- that I for some reason just had the worst luck with. I think I broke like 4 strings on that thing in maybe 2 months, with the strings breaking at different points on the string, for different reasons. I genuinely think it wasn't the guitar- it was great- I just somehow kept burning through strings. Once when I was changing strings, once it started sliding and I caught it by a string, which broke, etc.

I don't have that particular guitar any longer, but I have two other custom shop V12s, and they're some of my favorite guitars. It was weird.

Never have, I use strictly elixir's and knock on wood, never have. I change them regardless before a big show, but for smaller ones, I let them go months. I only play on my gig guitars at shows though, never practicing so I get longer lengths between changes. I have many other guitars for practicing or rehearsals. Now I have had some slip out of a floyd block once or twice, but those you just shove back in and lock down.

More than 20 years ago. We were doing Robben Ford's "Talk to your daughter" and a string broke during the intro of the song. I really liked (still do!) doing the solo in the song, so with only one guitar with me I managed to quickly pull up my gig bag, find a set of strings, pick out the right one, take off the broken one, restring the guitar and tune up just in time for the solo! Now I always carry two guitars... :)
J

I break them infrequently… but always at the worst time (while I’m playing… Doh’!). All my guitars have sensitive trems, so a broken string means a pretty much useless guitar. So, I always have a backup, tuned and ready to go. I drill switching between guitars like a gunslinger drills a fast draw. So fast, you can’t even see me do it. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom