When Do You Need to Reset Amps?

quark

Experienced
I know this is a frequent question, but I'm still confused on when this is necessary. Hopefully someone can clarify.

For example, if I am using factory presets and install Quantum 2.0 from an earlier rev, do I have to go in and toggle the amp in each preset to get the "new" default values or does that happen automatically when you load the new firmware?

If I were to reinstall the presets after installing a new firmware rev, will the freshly installed presets automatically pick up the "new" amp default values and save me from having to toggle the amp in each preset individually?

Would the same be true for custom presets? If I reload a bank of custom presets after a firmware update, will they automatically pick up the "new" defaults or do you still have to toggle each individually?

Sorry to be so dense about this but I do find this amp resetting business confusing.

(p.s. - I know the Quantum 2.0 release notes don't mention resetting the amps so in this case it might not be necessary but let's assume that it did - what would you have to do?)

Thanks!

sometimes they do...sometimes they don't. depends on the firmware. you can check by copying X into Y, resetting X and then comparing it to Y. if you see changes in the advanced parameters, then you know you'll need to do it for all the amps. i just updated to quantum 2 from 1.06 and noticed that there were changes in the speaker page that weren't being picked up unless i did a reset.

sometimes they do...sometimes they don't. depends on the firmware. you can check by copying X into Y, resetting X and then comparing it to Y. if you see changes in the advanced parameters, then you know you'll need to do it for all the amps. i just updated to quantum 2 from 1.06 and noticed that there were changes in the speaker page that weren't being picked up unless i did a reset.

Does this only apply to AMP blocks or, with FW updates, all other block types could require a similar style reset?

no, just the amp blocks. unless any of the other blocks have been updated and it will say in the release notes if they need to be reset.

Don't forget to check your cab block interactions with 2.0, that seems to be my be obstacle with 2.0. Global ---> Cab Simulation.

If i was a smarter man i would of checked this earlier with the new firmware and saved myself a few hours of headaches.

Guys - one more question. I read the wiki on this, but still unclear. The reset amp(s) to defaults - does it act on ALL presets, or just the current preset? From the Axe manual, it looks like there used to be 2 menu items - one to reset the current preset, and one to reset all presets. Now there is only one menu item.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
RR

Guys - one more question. I read the wiki on this, but still unclear. The reset amp(s) to defaults - does it act on ALL presets, or just the current preset? From the Axe manual, it looks like there used to be 2 menu items - one to reset the current preset, and one to reset all presets. Now there is only one menu item.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
RR
This method only updates the Amps in the currently selected preset. It affects both Amp blocks and all XY states.

http://axefxtutorials.com/2014/09/w...update-amps-all-prsts-or-reset-the-amp-block/

personally, i just leave the amp blocks alone if my presets sound ok. if i'm going to make any changes at all, i at least "reset the amp" (choose another model, go back) to make sure i have the correct settings loaded.

lately though, anytime i'm making a change to the amp, i do a full block reset and start at complete default. it's just my workflow now with Quantum.

This method only updates the Amps in the currently selected preset. It affects both Amp blocks and all XY states.

http://axefxtutorials.com/2014/09/w...update-amps-all-prsts-or-reset-the-amp-block/

personally, i just leave the amp blocks alone if my presets sound ok. if i'm going to make any changes at all, i at least "reset the amp" (choose another model, go back) to make sure i have the correct settings loaded.

lately though, anytime i'm making a change to the amp, i do a full block reset and start at complete default. it's just my workflow now with Quantum.
Chris, what is a "full block" reset? Thx

Now what happens if I go through resetting every amp and then load up a preset that was made with V18. What will that preset be running? The new firmware algorithm with old settings?

Now what happens if I go through resetting every amp and then load up a preset that was made with V18. What will that preset be running? The new firmware algorithm with old settings?

good Question!

I also do reset by doublebypass. The new firmware sounds so good at default - it´s very quick and easy to tweak new.

When you went away from default values somewhere it might be because of the guitar you use or because of your own taste, the changed values might have sounded better for you.
But whenever there are changes to the default values, it's a good idea to reaudition such personel settings. I do that one by one, so I get an idea what the new parameters do.

Back
Top Bottom