What's your string gauge? Manufacturer?

D'Addario EXL157 (14-18-26w-44-56-68 playing drop-b on a 25.5" guitar). I love the low end power I get with those strings :)

D'addario NYXL 11-52 and D'addario flatwound Chromes 12-52 (though I've been considering switching to 11s on my flatwounds too)

I tend to use 2 or more fingers on my bends, so anything under 10 or less feels too thin to me, and the low E and A strings seem to buzz too much even when properly setup (I must press too ham-fisted when fretting chords).

I've found strings make a big difference with the Axe, as they would with any quality amp, there's much goodness w/ touch sensitivity and picking dynamics in the maths

Last edited:
Elixer Nanoweb 10-46 light set. Feel good, sound good, last a long time. Been using them for years now. I also use the acoustic Elixer set for the same reasons.

Used to play with EB 9's and then bought a brand new expensive guitar set up with 10's and didn't want to mess with it ...... that was a long time ago ..... now it's D'addario 10's (just the std nickel ones) on everything I own ...... can hardly feel the 1st string if I play with 9's now!

EB Slinkys 10's seem to be prone to a lot of finger squeak when I use them .... but no probs with the D'Addarios.

Went from a 13-62 D'Addario set a 12-68 Elixir set in drop A on a LTD Eclipse 401 27" baritone guitar. (.012, .016, .022, .038, .052, .068, I take out the .022 unwound and throw in a D'Addario .026 for the D string).

I think they sound great! The .012 and .016 strings are a little thin and sloppy, but the guitar could benefit from a better setup with higher action. But then I would probably have a really badly intonated F#/.016-string, since I'm already out of space in the bridge on that one.
On the low A/.068 there's no more space either. I think maybe if I put .070 or thicker it would intonate better.

A little OT but, I think the tune-o-matic bridge is too small for this kind of guitar actually. If the scale is longer, the bridge should have more range. It makes sense to me at least. And to be able to intonate the .062 from the D'Addario set you would need A LOT more range! They say you can play thinner strings on baritones but truth is then you need a bigger bridge, or tune up, or use bigger strings.

I need to go bigger sometime soon though and maybe flip the bridge for more space.

I've used pure nickel strings for a long time, in a 10-46 gauge set. I haven't ever tried a set with a 9.5 E string, and am intrigued by this thread. I might set up one of my guitars with them and see how it goes.

I use D'Addario 10-46 on my PRS, tele, and Ibanez. My Strat is tuned to B std or drop A and its gauges are 13-18-26-36-46-68. Sometimes I go to a 70 for the low string. My Lakland bass gets DR Long Necks 45-65-85-105-125.

9-42 or 8-38 depending on the guitar and string brand.

My usual brands are Elixir nanoweb, Ernie Ball slinky, slinky coated. Augustine Black for the classical guitar (which I hope to tone match eventually, if I ever get off my lazy butt).

Currently going through another string sampling phase. Still being tried or in the string bin yet to be tried are John Pearse, D'addario EXP, Alloy 5109 (Sfarzo), EB cobalt, coated Boomers.

I'm geeky and fortunately have way too many guitars. Enough that I made a string gauge guide in my google docs so I wouldn't forget. Here is the copy and paste from that doc.

String Gauge Guide

Ibanez AX7221 - Daddario Standard 7 string regular guage with Dunlop 62 for Low B
Agile Al2800 Baritone - Baritone XLite set with 64gauge for Low A
Baritone now using 72 Guage for A flat
Using alternate tuning refer to Blue Sun Destiny potato
Epiphone 7 String - Daddario Standard 7 String Regular with 64” for the Low B
Agile Al3000 regular lite 6 string set
Agie Intrepid Pro 828 - Dadarrio Super light gauge 7 string Plus 74 for low f#: 9,11,16,24,32,42,54,74
Agile Custom - “Amanda” A Tuning
7 string Dadarrio EXL157 Baritone Medium Set with Custom Strings
7th - 70 For Low B Tuned to “Aflat”
6th - 56 (54)
5th - 44 (42)
4th - 32 (Taken from 7 string extra light set)
3rd - 26w (24)
2nd - .017
1st - .11 (9) (From 7 string extra light exl120-7)

99% of the time GHS Boomers GBL 10-46. Strats, PRS & Gibson LP's & SG's.

One thing that bugs me no matter what company I buy from is when the strings have kinks in them.
I can't stand that! I normally get the 10 pack of GBL's. Every set always has a form of kinked strings like they are being manhandled to fit 10 packs in the box. Yea it BUGS me! :mad:

D'Addario 10-46 though I've been toying with going back to 9's on my Strat so I'm not fighting it so much in the bends department. but 10-46 on my PRSi is absolutely perfect.

I use Fender XL150 Nickel wound: .009, .011, .015, .024, .032, .040.

Some brand I used years ago was the same gauges and that just works for me. In particular, I really like the .015 G string... A .016 which is common in many 9s feels totally wrong.

There are not many packaged sets of 9s with a .015... I tried the XL150 "bullets" and the 5150 stainless sets, and liked the nickel best. I think the bullets are no longer made and these with a standard ball end replaced them.

Back
Top Bottom