What's the rub on running two amp blocks (current firmware considered)?

Sorenspete

Inspired
Sorry if I've already posted about this before, however my tastes, gear, and needs change - couple that with early onset dementia (turning 33 has been rough lol) and I end up posting the same question one year later :tearsofjoy:

Just to outline the way my rig is currently set up and how it will be set up in the future:

V1.0 (Current):
Guitar > Korg PitchBlack Pro > Axe-Fx III Mk II > Fryette 2/90/2 both channels out in stereo > (via 2x 4Ohm stereo inputs) MESA 4x12

V1.5 (Future):
Guitar > Korg PitchBlack Pro > Axe-Fx III Mk II > Fryette 2/90/2 > MESA 4x12 X2 (1 per channel @ 8Ohms each)

So for the moment, I'll be experimenting with running two amp blocks into the one 4x12 technically in stereo. To be more specific, I want to run two instances of the TriAxis (USA Pre Yellow) - is this a feasible thing to do as far as there being actual benefits? If not, would it make more sense to blend a different amp model (if so, which?)? Are there any tips people can give me about blending two amps? I know from experience that it sounds weird when there's a large enough discrepancy in gain, and that some amps will blend together better than others. My current monster guitar tone I'm working on is a sort of high-gain Petrucci-meets-Hetfield preset and I'm hoping that TWO TriAxis amp blocks blended with variances in EQ will sound immense.

I have the Cooper Carter masterclass for my Fractal so I'll have to refer to that, but was curious to hear from users about their experiences.

I would try a different amp (for your second amp).
Selecting two different amps (example - I have a 5150 and JMP1) and panning them hard L/R can create a bit of a 'multitracked' vibe.
I believe it's been discussed here and stated that using 2 different amps creates that feel because different amps have different response, thus sounds a bit like a multitracked guitar. Try it with a set of studio monitors, it sounds quite good. Just 2 Amps, 2 Cabs, pan hard L/R.
I've never tried 2 Triaxis, but I think it's going to sound more like 'one guitar' vs. a bit of a multitrack guitar if you use different amps.

Is your goal in running two amp blocks stereo width or creating a new mono tone by summing two amps?
Ok that is a great question. What do people recommend? I feel like a mono tone that's equally present in both cabs would be better, no?

Ok that is a great question. What do people recommend? I feel like a mono tone that's equally present in both cabs would be better, no?
Not necessarily, and you don't have to pan the amps hard across to one side each. The "size" of the sound will probably have a sweet spot beyond which it sounds like it is an ADT sound, depending on how much you pan them from centre. If you use any Drive/Distortion blocks ahead of the amp blocks, you can get a stereo shift when you kick them in, depending on the particular amps you are using. (I've sometimes favoured one fairly clean, one fairly dirty, which exaggerates the effect.)

And then of course there's the question of how "stereo" you want any time-based effects to be after the amp blocks. Being able to separate the physical cabs more also adds to any stereo effects. (Within limits, I tried one each side of the stage at some point in the 90's, which may or may not have sounded great to the audience, but did very little for me!)

Experimentation and listening will be key in finding what works for you. At least with the Axe FX III you are working with a broad palette, with very few limitations. Sure, keep it all mono to start with, but different signals to each cab should make it sound bigger. It's worth experimenting with how much stereo separation you use.

Liam

Not necessarily, and you don't have to pan the amps hard across to one side each. The "size" of the sound will probably have a sweet spot beyond which it sounds like it is an ADT sound, depending on how much you pan them from centre. If you use any Drive/Distortion blocks ahead of the amp blocks, you can get a stereo shift when you kick them in, depending on the particular amps you are using. (I've sometimes favoured one fairly clean, one fairly dirty, which exaggerates the effect.)

And then of course there's the question of how "stereo" you want any time-based effects to be after the amp blocks. Being able to separate the physical cabs more also adds to any stereo effects. (Within limits, I tried one each side of the stage at some point in the 90's, which may or may not have sounded great to the audience, but did very little for me!)

Experimentation and listening will be key in finding what works for you. At least with the Axe FX III you are working with a broad palette, with very few limitations. Sure, keep it all mono to start with, but different signals to each cab should make it sound bigger. It's worth experimenting with how much stereo separation you use.

Liam
Awesome, some good food for thought here.

For me it depends on the application. For live, stereo width within a single preset is much more important because getting the dry out of the center dramatically improves the IEM experience, so I’ll use two slightly different amps and cabs hard panned, and the enhancer block.

When recording if the goal is stereo width I will double track in mono, meaning I can use a combination of two amps together in mono if necessary.

Class A type amp like matchless or ac30 , pair well with Bassmans, JTM45s. I like doing that plus you plus you can run stereo effects in front or after the amp block. Usually if using to Amps with 50% or less panning hard panning the amps) and doing the 50% or less pan on the cab blocks.

Among other choices, I pair the FAS Crunch and Friedman Small Box into YA KW 4x12 IRs. I have cab block scenes to quickly audition each individual amp panned center, both in mono, and both fully panned. Very handy for quick tweaks and comparisons. I make sure everything sounds OK regardless of panning.

I love it. Monstrous tone, fills space, helps thing sound fuller with lower-gain classic rock tones. Helps with IEMs quite a bit.

I can't stress enough how much I appreciate FW v6.00 on the FM9. I spent a couple of days re-building all my show presets from scratch, and confidently gigged with beta FW (not for the first time). Gapless and the other features are huge upgrades for my use cases, and the tones are always improving, addicting and inspiring. What a company! I'm truly grateful to be a Fractal user.

Back
Top Bottom