Whatever Happened To AOTW?

Anthony David

Experienced
Anyone else remember and miss the old 'amp of the week threads?' The amount of amp choices in the Axe can be a bit overwhelming and it was a great way to find a new love or rekindle an old one, amp-wise. Is that something that can be revived? I would gladly play a part if it wouldn't step on anybodies toes. I recall Fabio losing interest because a lack of participation, but would it be worth a shot to try again? I tried to message him privately about this, but inbox was full.

Here is an example for those who aren't familiar with it: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/85337-aotw-5-ods-100-clean.html

Yeah, I remember he became disenchanted because of the lack of participation. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you or anyone would start it up again. Maybe amp of the month would be good. I never contributed because I didn't really have anything to add!

You have two good points there, Xrocker.

As for the sheer number of amps and the time it would take to go through them, I wouldn't want to cover all of them. My hearing is pretty bad and I'm rather ignorant to the subtle differences in amps, so some of them sound essentially the same to me. It would be kind of pointless to go through every Marshall, etcetera.

As for the new amps coming so constantly, we are pretty spoiled by FAS. I've noticed that we as a collective can quickly lose interest in something once it's not 'new' anymore. That was kind of the original problem I believe. I just threw this out there to see if our mindsets had maybe changed.

I dunno, I'd love to give it a shot if more interest is shown and I hear from Fabio, as it is basically stealing his idea. In the meantime, maybe suggest some amps to start with, in case he agrees. I really wanna do the Blankenship Leeds 21 :D.

Honestly, I think a better idea would be to just talk to the admins about getting a sticky thread set up for each amp model (at least. I'm sure a sticky for every individual block would be ideal). Imagine how much easier it would be for people to navigate when looking for tips on amps if they could just go to a specific thread that was always in the same place. "Need info on the dual recto models? Go here."

I would be more than happy to start AOTW again, but last time, I was lucky if I had 10 posts, most being several from me and a few other members. I'm not salty, but it didn't seem worth continuing if there was no demand for it. I'll have a think about it and maybe get it up again in the new year.

Ahahahah AOTW. = Amp of the Week [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

AMPS IN THE AXE = 200+
WEEKS PER YEAR = 52~
Time to finish AOTW if CLIFF freezes himself for a while ...= 4 YEARS ~ [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

At 3/4 of the path AxeFx III will be available [emoji43]

Btw I'm jokin' ... Awesome idea [emoji6]

Well Fabio, you have my help if you do want to start again, or I can just do it if you aren't up to it. I'll leave it entirely up to you. I think it might be worth at least doing a few threads, if only to gauge interest. Just let us know, it seems people are interested for now at least. I know I greatly liked it and miss it.

As for Ben's suggestion of a thread for each amp, I rather like the idea, but it seems like it would easily get congested/ take up too much space without a dedicated subforum.

Well Fabio, you have my help if you do want to start again, or I can just do it if you aren't up to it. I'll leave it entirely up to you. I think it might be worth at least doing a few threads, if only to gauge interest. Just let us know, it seems people are interested for now at least. I know I greatly liked it and miss it.

As for Ben's suggestion of a thread for each amp, I rather like the idea, but it seems like it would easily get congested/ take up too much space without a dedicated subforum.

If you want to reboot the AOTW threads, you're welcome to do so. Try to keep the format similar to the existing threads (more info on the amp, links to wiki and videos/sound clips etc. I sincerely hope that it gains more attraction this time around.

If you want to reboot the AOTW threads, you're welcome to do so. Try to keep the format similar to the existing threads (more info on the amp, links to wiki and videos/sound clips etc. I sincerely hope that it gains more attraction this time around.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. People gleaned plenty of information out of those threads. The point of them was to learn about new amps and their particular 'quirks'. Low posting only meant that the amount of contributors was low, the 'views' number was very high. The CAE may not be understood or owned by many, so you'll have vastly more *learning* than *learned*.

We also fall into that trap that sais an amp has to sound a particular way. The Plexi, for instance, has such a huge variety of tones that you can glean that it's difficult to stay on track. Also, people's idea of 'overdriven', or 'clean' or whatever vary just as wildly, thus difficult in that way.

This is not a bad idea, but frankly, it needs more persistence and patience than expecting a 200 post thread each time.

IMO.

R

Thank you Fabio, I would be glad to. I will of course lose interest if there isn't much participation, but I think it's worth a try. I would appreciate your advice/input if it does come to fruition of course.

People! Suggest amps! If there is one that is mentioned a few times, that will be our first pick. If I can't get suggestions, it will be a sure sign that this is a waste of time, so I will watch this thread with eagerness.

Something to keep in mind guys and gals, there aren't actually 200+ amps to go through. Many of that number are channels of one amp. One AOTW thread, will hopefully cover all modeled channels of the particular amp if I can manage it. Plus there are some that don't play well with my guitars, etcetera, so I wouldn't be able to do much with those amps anyway as far as providing presets and recordings. As for the remaining amps, there's nothing that says we need to go through them all, just the ones that are popularly suggested by the community.

Electron, I agree. I never had much to add due to my ignorance of amplifiers. I've only ever owned two actual amps before buying the Axe, which is why I liked AOTW so much. A rookie like me learned from every one, even if I had nothing to contribute. As someone vastly more experienced than I, I would value your input greatly.

....I would value your input greatly.

Okay, here's how I'd play it:

-It's okay to 'lead from the top'. Solicit opinions on amps, but in the end, make the call. Pick amps that are well known, but perhaps misunderstood. Since we have so many 'derivative' type amps (all the Marshall and/or el84 based amps), stick with the most common.
-Start setting up 'ground rules'. A particular desired tone is not applicable unless a youtube or personal link is supplied. Other rules: Specify what kind of guitar is used, favorite CAB's. COMPLETELY ELIMINATE any talk about FX; base line tone (i.e. 'dry') is what you want.
-I think 'Amp of the week' is overly ambitious. Stick with one every couple of weeks...month at the most. The idea would be that this would be a thread that people would come back to. It may lie dormant for a time, but it's a great starting point for new users and new users to that amp.
-Highly encourage forum members to post clips and 'get involved'. We can talk all we want about an amp, but actual what it sounds like based off of changes is how this thing will work.

Yes, someone will have to drive, but let traffic dictate how much you push. Hopefully you'll get more buy in from those who know, but that may take time. I personally would like to see it succeed, but this is a community, and we can't dictate the direction that it will go.

R

There are roughly 105 amps if you remove the duplicates due to channel variations along with the FAS creations. This is just a quick and dirty filter and sort so I have no doubt I could have missed a few but it's close and gives a good approximation of what you are tackling.

It never ceases to amaze me that I have all these amps at my fingertips. What an impressive list! :eek: This black box is worth it's weight in gold.

Ampeg SVT®

Bad Cat® Hot Cat

Blankenship Leeds

Bludotone Ojai

Bogner Fish preamp

Bogner® Ecstasy

Bogner® Shiva

Bogner® Überschall

Boogie™ 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier®

Boogie™ 3-Ch. Dual Rectifier®

Budda® Twinmaster

CAE 3+ SE®

Cameron Atomica

Cameron CCV100

Carol-Ann TripTik

Carol-Ann Tucana® 3

CarolAnn OD2r®

Carr Rambler

Carvin® Legacy I

Cornford MK50II®

Diezel® Herbert

Diezel® VH4

Divided by 13® CJ11

Divided by 13® FTR 37

Dr. Z Maz 38 SR®

Dr. Z Maz-8

Dr. Z Route 66

Dumble™ OD Special®

ENGL Powerball®

Engl Savage

1959 Fender® Bassman®

1965 Fender® Bassman®

Fender AA763 Tremolux

Fender® Vibro-King®

Fender® Vibro-Lux®

Fender® 5E3 Deluxe

Fender® AA964 Princeton®

Fender® Bandmaster®

Fender® Blues Jr.®

Fender® Champ®

Fender® Concert 6G12

Fender® Deluxe Reverb®

Fender® EVH® 5150III®

Fender® Princeton® Reverb

Fender® Princeton® Tweed

Fender® Super 6G4

Fender® Super Reverb

Fender® Twin Reverb®

Fender® Vibroverb®

Friedman Brown Eye

Friedman Dirty Shirley

Friedman Hairy Brown Eye

Fryette D60®

Fuchs® Overdrive Supreme 50

Gibson® Scout

Hiwatt® DR103

Komet™ Concorde

Marshall® 1959 Super Lead Plexi

Marshall® 1987x Vintage Series

Marshall® AFD100®

Marshall® AFD100SCE®

Marshall® JCM 800®

Marshall® JMP-1 Preamp®

Marshall® JTM45®

Marshall® JVM 410®

Marshall® Silver Jubilee

Marshall® Super Lead®

Marshall® Super Lead® 1959

Marshall® Super Lead® 1960

Marshall® Super Lead® 1961

Matchless Chieftain®

Matchless DC-30

Mesa Boogie® Bass 400

Mesa Boogie® Lonestar™

Mesa Boogie® Mark II™

Mesa Boogie™ MKIV™

Mesa Boogie™ Triaxis™

Mesa™ Subway Blues

Morgan AC20 Deluxe

Orange AD200B

Orange® AD30HTC

Orange® Rockerverb®

Orange® Tiny Terror®

Paul Ruby Rocket

Peavey® 6505+®

Peavey® EVH® 5150™

PVH® 6160

Roland® JC-120®

Soldano® X-88

Soldano® X99® Preamp

Soldano™ SLO-100®

Splawn® Nitro

Splawn® Quickrod

Studio Tube Preamp

Suhr® Badger 18 W

Suhr® Badger 30W

Supro® 1964T

Swart Atomic Spacetone

Trainwreck™ Express

Trainwreck™ Liverpool

Two Rock® Jet 35

Vox® AC-15®

Vox® AC-30®

Vox® AC-30HW

Vox® AC-30TBX®

Last edited:
Honestly, I think a better idea would be to just talk to the admins about getting a sticky thread set up for each amp model (at least. I'm sure a sticky for every individual block would be ideal). Imagine how much easier it would be for people to navigate when looking for tips on amps if they could just go to a specific thread that was always in the same place. "Need info on the dual recto models? Go here."

I think something like this might be cool. Kind of like an expanded AXE FX II wiki amp section.

Often with many of these amps (as I have never seen or played them) - I have no clue on how to make them sound their best.

Well, I'd love to see someone go into some details about the Bogner Shiva and Ecstasy. I di gthese amps, but I never do much to them, but play them pretty stock. An advanced look at those 2 would be great, (if anyone needs a push or a vote to create and AOTW post)

Electron, all good suggestions, I will keep all of that in mind. Cobbler, I'm up for it :D. As for Pinky's suggestion of the Shiva and Exstasy, sounds good to me :encouragement:. I love that Shiva myself, looks like a good place to start! Give me a week or so to research guys, and I'll have a post up. Hopefully I can make it seem like I know what I'm talking about and come up with some good info.

Back
Top Bottom