What was your 1st amp?

It was a Dean Markley practice amp. Akin to that famed Gorilla we're waiting to be modeled.
Mine was actually the famous Gorilla amp... Years later, I spray painted it neon green and gave it to my first son when he was 4 or 5 along with a (very POS) Frankenstein copy.

I have that amp up in my music room... And my son still has that guitar.

some very old and unconventional stuff here.. that being said this was my first amp ever:

ALWAYS plugged into "SATURATION", and PRE always on 10! (someone elses pic from reverb)

Even got the same broken Peavey badge!

View attachment 130022
My second amp was a Peavey TKO-80 bass amp that I bought at a pawn shop.

It has Pre and Post Gain controls. I would crank Pre-Gain and was (at least to my ears back then) very much in the Tony Iommi ballpark.

I sold it to a friend of mine shortly after high school because he wanted to learn to play bass.

About 13 years ago I reconnected with him on Facebook. He asked if I wanted it back since he didn't use it anymore, and it's currently in my bedroom :)

Works great for bass!

1st was a 10W Marshal practice-amp with 10" speaker as far I can remember.
Then later I had a used Engl Savage 60 as first real amp for rehearsal and gigs.

Yamaha G100 2x12...after borrowing my uncle's 112 model...thought this was incredible!

1700624232720.png

1993 @ Wake Forest Univ in NC.
I had recently gotten that 1979 ES335 for $550 bucks....

1700624311353.jpeg

1965 Blackface Fender Twin with EV SRO speakers. Needed a fork lift to move it, so I put the amplifier section in a separate head cabinet the owner that sold it to me had made (for the same reason. That helped. Sadly it was stolen from the house I was renting.

Randomly scrolling through the worldwide inter-webs and came across this gem. I started playing guitar way back in 1984ish. I didn’t own an amp yet for my Hondo Strat. My family had one of these 70’s console stereos that was used for a TV stand. It had a 1/4” mic input jack and I think a built in reverb unit. I can’t remember the brand but I know it was an all tube loud as hell monster. I had a few old DOD distortion and fuzz pedals I placed in front. Eventually my old man got tired of me moving the TV off the top and bought me a Peavey Special 130. This was my 1st guitar amp. I’d like to hear from others what they had for their 1st amp. View attachment 129974

View attachment 129973
My first real amp was an early 90s Princeton chorus. Stereo amp and two effect loops. Still have it.

Yamaha G100 2x12...after borrowing my uncle's 112 model...thought this was incredible!

View attachment 130073

1993 @ Wake Forest Univ in NC.
I had recently gotten that 1979 ES335 for $550 bucks....

View attachment 130074
Not my first amp, but I had the exact same model back in the 80's that I used in a stereo set-up with a Pearce amp. It sounded great, and has now been passed down to my grandson. Also, coincidentally, I have a very similar guitar like your's, a 1971 Gibson ES-335 in that same walnut color.

I am dating myself here, but my first amp was a Vox AC-30 purchased in Europe where I was stationed In the late 60's. I had it shipped back, and later traded it in for a Fender Bandmaster. Still one of my biggest regrets.

Back
Top Bottom