What was your 1st amp?

Ibanez GX20 solid state...sounded like crap. Enough to drive my family mad. One day I blew the overdrive channel...I think they were thankful...

When I got into playing electric guitar, I made the shift from a nylon-stringed classical to the amplified world. My first amp was a borrowed ELK amp with a radio shack 12" speaker without a cabinet. I didn't sound great but I was able to make noise. After having a buddy came over with his Strat with 50W Marshall and a 4x12. OMG, I then understood. So because of my limited budget, I got a Peavey Classic 2x12 in white tolex around 73 or 74 for around $400. The rest was history so they say

Attachments

• Peavey Classic 2x12.png
    Peavey Classic 2x12.png
    4 MB · Views: 5
My (tube) stereo had a guitar input in it as well. I used it as a boost for my first "real' amp. a Lafayette Electronics solid state combo. I can't even remember what I did with it. Most likely gave it away. Then I got the amp I never should have never sold. An original Sunn Model T.

Last edited:
Peavey Special 130. This was my 1st guitar amp
In a way, this was my first guitar amp too. It was the only amp in the rehearsal room I played for a few years back when I was starting, so it brings back some nice memories, thanks for sharing!
Then I bought myself an Egnater Rebel 30 combo and was happy ever since - until I married FM3 and sold my Rebel to a new master.

UPD. Damn, my memory has failed me. It wasn't Special 130, it was actually Bandit mentioned below...
Peavey bandit 112 , transtube series

Mako Piranha. Part of a package deal I put together at a local shop back in the 80's with a white Ibanez RG340, DOD Flanger and FX85B OD. Of course I had to get a pink guitar stand and white cable too.

1700506647107.png

My first was a champ style tube amp from a 1970s Monkey Wards catalog. At the time I didn't understand why, but it always seemed to sound the best with the volume control on 10.

Fender Bullet Reverb, 8" speaker. Man, did this thing sound like sh-t for metal. Ended up getting a Metal Zone, rocked that for a few years, and finally ended up upgrading to a 5150 head on my 17th birthday (one hell of an upgrade).

1700509472818.png

The tiny-yet-mighty Roland Cube 20X! Now that I look back and think about it, the choice of having 7 amp tones, 3 modulation effects, and delay or reverb in one small unit perhaps planted the seeds of my love for modelling units. I got a Digitech RP355 soon after, and then a POD X3 Live.

some very old and unconventional stuff here.. that being said this was my first amp ever:

ALWAYS plugged into "SATURATION", and PRE always on 10! (someone elses pic from reverb)

Even got the same broken Peavey badge!

1700509740954.png

Back
Top Bottom