What is that one piece of gear you wish you never sold?

How about gear that we've trashed? My wife got me a 2005 SG for out 10th anniversary that I promptly thought needed taller frets and tried to do it myself because "i Am A masTER luthiER" Ended up having to replace the entire fretboard and it wasn't ever the same. Got a 1993 Boogie Trem-O-Verb about a month ago that developed a buzz soon after. I thought, no problem, "I aM a mAsTER Amp tECHniCiAn" Trashed it. At least I've got a cool 2x12 cabinet now.
'72 Twin Reverb. Learned a lot, tho....

There have been some I wished I'd kept because they turned out to be worth a sh*tload of money… eventually, like a '61 Strat, an early 60s ES-345 with PAFs, and a couple original blackface Deluxe Reverbs.

But, I'm REALLY happy with the guitars and amps I have now. They outperform the old ones, there's no contest, and the guitars I have FEEL so much better.

A friend of mine has some classic amps, and he gigs with them. Other friends have classic guitars and most stay at home in their cases so it's rumored they actually exist. "Cherishing" something and not using it is not for me. I'm going to use it and love it and very obviously it'll be my own.

So, while I kinda kick myself, I probably would have gladly sold those to have what I have now.

Snip

But, I'm REALLY happy with the guitars and amps I have now. They outperform the old ones, there's no contest, and the guitars I have FEEL so much better.

End snip
My dad said exactly the same thing. He had a '58 Strat he bought with his paper route money brand new. He traded it in '82 for some cash and a '73 Tele Deluxe. He said the Strat always felt so flimsy and would go out tune just looking at it. Maybe a good set-up might help that today. That Tele was my learning and growing up guitar and I still have it. He has an American Deluxe Strat today that he says is leaps and bounds over the old stuff.

IMG_0546_Original.jpeg

I sell so much gear that I don’t often think too much about what I’ve sold as I usually sell to “upgrade“ gear. This LP Axcess still haunts me though. As others have mentioned about the stock Floyd on there being less than optimal, it was enough for me to justify letting this go. But had I thought of upgrading the bridge, this would probably be one of my main guitars.

Last edited:
I bought a mint condition Mesa Boogie Mk IIC+ head for $400 cash when I was in high school in 1990. Sold it later. Also had a Rev F black face Dual Rec I never should sold either.

1984 Rickenbacker 4001. I begged and begged my parents to buy me this used one that came into the local shop to be my HS graduation gift (class of 87). They did, but I still had to pay for half! I was about to go off to Berklee with nothing but a crappy "Elk" Jazz bass knockoff for crissakes...

Sold it years later in 2001 thinking I was all done with 4-strings. Only to turn around a few months later and pick up a Geddy Lee Jazz which had just come out, then fell in love with it. So I really wish I still had my Ricky, my original dream bass, not to play but for sentimental reasons.

lizzy_berklee1.jpg

Sambora's 86 Hamer Explorer..need my head testing selling it, if anyone ever see it come back up for sale let me know , never ever ever should I have sold it
Dude for a minute I thought that was me in the pic! I will have to dig up a pic of me in the 80’s we could be twin brothers!

View attachment 120792

I sell so much gear that I don’t often think too much about what I’ve sold as I usually sell to “upgrade“ gear. This LP Axcess still haunts me though. As others have mentioned about the stock Floyd on there being less than optimal, it was enough for me to justify letting this go. But had I thought of upgrading the bridge, this would probably be one of my main guitars.

I had a Les Paul Axcess that I sold, and really regret. Not even sure why I sold it. One of those times where I just wanted to make some space and wasn't thinking clear. Anyway, I weep when I check prices now, as I got like half that amount for mine.

I had a Les Paul Axcess that I sold, and really regret. Not even sure why I sold it. One of those times where I just wanted to make some space and wasn't thinking clear. Anyway, I weep when I check prices now, as I got like half that amount for mine.
When I went to buy it, the manager of the store took me into his office and said, “What do I have to do to get rid of this guitar?” I got a great deal on it! The issue with the Floyd was that my high E string kept getting out of tune. I ended up selling this for a PRS SC245 with a trem. As excellent as the PRS is, it didn’t sound or feel as good as the Axcess. Someone got a great deal (on the Axcess) and I wonder where it is now.

When I went to buy it, the manager of the store took me into his office and said, “What do I have to do to get rid of this guitar?” I got a great deal on it! The issue with the Floyd was that my high E string kept getting out of tune. I ended up selling this for a PRS SC245 with a trem. As excellent as the PRS is, it didn’t sound or feel as good as the Axcess. Someone got a great deal (on the Axcess) and I wonder where it is now.

I definitely had some tuning issues with it, and it weighed a lot, but it was really cool. I was looking to see if I had any pictures of it, as it had a beautiful top.

I picked up one of those Alex Lifeson Les Pauls that Epiphone put out a couple of years ago. I don't really play it. I thought it would be the same, but it's lacking some mojo the other had. Maybe just in my head, but it's sat in it's case since purchased.

I definitely had some tuning issues with it, and it weighed a lot, but it was really cool. I was looking to see if I had any pictures of it, as it had a beautiful top.

I picked up one of those Alex Lifeson Les Pauls that Epiphone put out a couple of years ago. I don't really play it. I thought it would be the same, but it's lacking some mojo the other had. Maybe just in my head, but it's sat in it's case since purchased.
That’s a shame that so many of us had tuning issues with that guitar. Mine had a very three-dimensional top and weighed so little that I thought it was chambered. It was one of the best sounding Les Pauls that I’ve ever heard though. I have no idea why.
Ha! I was looking to get the Alex Lifeson Epiphone as well for the same reason. Sorry it didn’t work out for you but I guess I dodged a bullet.

1954 Gibson ES 125. Sold it in the late 1970s for $200. Worth about 10 times that now. Maybe someday....

Back
Top Bottom