What headphones should I buy?

I've had great luck with the Sennheiser HD650's. Nice bass mixes. Open air design so it's not for acoustic tracking. Rarely do I have to make many adjustments when switching to monitors.

Thank you all for the comments!
For the ones who recommended the blue Mo-Fi, they are wireless so how do you make them work with the axe? There is a different in the sound quality betwin cables and wireless headphones?

And for all who recommended Sennheiser HD 600, 650 etc...do they need an amplfier?

Check out JH Audio...I've got a set of the JH11s (http://www.jhaudio.com/content/jh11-pro) that sound absolutely amazing. A crossover pushing 2 low drivers, 1 mid driver, and 1 high driver in each ear. I'm seriously hearing detail in music that I haven't ever picked up on before. The only drawback is that I can also now hear how bad some MP3s can really be unless encoded at 192k....That's really a good problem to have.

Thank you all for the comments!
For the ones who recommended the blue Mo-Fi, they are wireless so how do you make them work with the axe? There is a different in the sound quality betwin cables and wireless headphones?

And for all who recommended Sennheiser HD 600, 650 etc...do they need an amplfier?

Mo-fis aren't wireless.

I've been happy with my Sennheiser HD 280s, as well as my Audio Technica ATH-50s, both of which I've had for more than 5 years and they mainly just need foam/headband replacement. They still sound good. That being said, the new Blue Mo Fis are on my short list for a headphone upgrade. Check out the reviews and demos out there.

OK i can get the Blue Mo-Fi for 482$ at my country, do you think they worth it? at the same price I can get the Sennheiser HD600 so if someone had an expiriance with both i would love to hear which one is better.
oh, and i can get the beyerdynamic T 90 for 625$, will i hear a big different betwin them to the Mo-Fi/Sennheiser?

IMHO, just don't waste time with wireless headphones. if you really care about the quality of your audio monitoring, you'll want everything the Axe-FX is putting out. It's a shame to throw it away with wireless, or Bluetooth.

I have quite a few sets of cans ranging from old cheap $25 AKG's to $1K+ Grados. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD650's that sound nice and fairly neutral. The Grado's have that Grado flavor that I just happen to love but that' just a matter of taste. If you know your equipment you can create your patches accordingly to accommodate whatever flavor of cans or monitors you have.

With all that said, I also have a pair of Senn RS220's which are wireless that I use to practice around the house. They sound almost identical to the HD650's and in fact were marketed as just that, the wireless version of the 650's. I never liked any other wireless cans I tried until these due to latency and/or noise issues. I've had neither with the RS220's. The added convenience of being able to wander around the house or back yard wirelessly is pretty sweet.

To the OP, I would also look into the in ear solutions like Ultimate Ears who offer a wide range of products. It's all a just matter of your budget and requirements. Of course, you should try whatever you are considering first hand since any monitoring solution is subjective at bet. It's always nice to hear opinions to narrow down the possibilities but only you can determine what sounds best for you.

Last edited:
I am using a headphone amplifier for late night playing; depending on your need for volume i would recommend using one. I have several headphones, and some do really benefit from it. Besides the amplifier, i use a minimixer to mix guitar with backtrack (from laptop). Beyer dt880 250ohm using headphone out from axe to my ears needs more power, dt770 80ohms not really.

My guess would be the sennheiser hd600/650 would benefit from a decent amplifier (but that knowledge came from googling around, not my own experience)

Headphones depend on the music you are playing/listening too.

My current fav cans are philips fidelio x2. Read headfi and other reviews on it. They compare to the excellent sennheiser hd600, but lower ohms (30).

But, as with guitars and amps, you should use your own ears ;-)))))

With all that said, I also have a pair of Senn RS220's which are wireless that I use to practice around the house. They sound almost identical to the HD650's and in fact were marketed as just that, the wireless version of the 650's. I never liked any other wireless cans I tried until these due to latency and/or noise issues. I've had neither with the RS220's. The added convenience of being able to wander around the house or back yard wirelessly is pretty sweet.

Cobbler, you made me curious. A bass-playing friend of mine had for a little while the RS-180's (one grade below the RS-220) , but he returned them: he found the latency unbearable, and that one even had some sort of compressor (Automatic Volume Compensation, or something). So when he picked a string, he could not hear the attack, and the tone 'faded in'. He contacted Sennheiser support, and had a response along the lines: yeah, if you want that Jazz-bass slap or Telecaster-quack you should go for a wired headphone. The wireless phones are for listening to mastered music, not solo instruments.

Since at that time I was thinking of buying the RS-220 I compared specs, and only found that with the RS-220 Sennheiser did not mention the AVC, but there was also no specification for the latency (in milli-seconds, for example). I then dismissed the idea. You have me rethinking this!

Can somebody else confirm that these RS-220 are gooed headphones, also for practicing? I hate that wire when playing guitar.

Oh, and when you say practicing around the house, do you also have a wireless guitar set (Line6, f.e.)

Right now I'm looking toward the Blue Mo-Fi. Any last suggestions from someone who tried them and like somthing else better?

Cobbler, you made me curious. A bass-playing friend of mine had for a little while the RS-180's (one grade below the RS-220) , but he returned them: he found the latency unbearable, and that one even had some sort of compressor (Automatic Volume Compensation, or something). So when he picked a string, he could not hear the attack, and the tone 'faded in'. He contacted Sennheiser support, and had a response along the lines: yeah, if you want that Jazz-bass slap or Telecaster-quack you should go for a wired headphone. The wireless phones are for listening to mastered music, not solo instruments.

Since at that time I was thinking of buying the RS-220 I compared specs, and only found that with the RS-220 Sennheiser did not mention the AVC, but there was also no specification for the latency (in milli-seconds, for example). I then dismissed the idea. You have me rethinking this!

Can somebody else confirm that these RS-220 are gooed headphones, also for practicing? I hate that wire when playing guitar.

Oh, and when you say practicing around the house, do you also have a wireless guitar set (Line6, f.e.)

I use the Line 6 G90. As for the RS220's I haven't had any issues with latency. I have however read up were many people were experiencing regular dropouts. I get them occasionally but not often. I always figured it was interference from other sources. For my purposes the occasional dropout of maybe a second or two in an hours worth of use was not a big concern to me. I may have been misleading in my use of the word "identical" even though I did qualify it with "almost" :) in the previous post. While they sound good and are very close to my HD650's I must admit that the 650's are a level above in sound and quality. I apologize if I mislead you with that wording. Of course, as always, it's best to try any gear for yourself since there is so much subjectivity in doing so.

Since you say you hate the guitar cable so much you might also want to research some of the in ears products that would be more conducive to playing live gigs and a solution geared more towards band use as opposed to overall consumer use.

In answer to one of your questions the Senn HD650's have not needed any additional amplification when coming from the Axe XL, a Tascam US interface or Saffire 40 interfaces I have used. Actually the only time they wouldn't drive was when I was having some ear discomfort and didn't want to use my in ear monitors. I tried to drive my 650's with my Sennheiser wireless rig at practice one night. Was fairly weak. Otherwise... never an issue.

Back
Top Bottom