What equipment do I need to record HD demo videos?

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I bought a Canon Vixia HF20 about 5 years ago intending to use it to record high-definition video demos, testimonials and promo DVDs for my website and Youtube channels but I have never been happy with the results. Although I always record using the highest resolution settings, and try to get as much light as possible on the subject, interior shots are always grainy and pixelated. Exterior shots come out OK but could be better. All video uploads to Youtube show as 720p, so I am assuming that my camcorder is not up to task despite selling itself as HD.

I'd like to know what you guys who post HD Youtube vids all the time use to film your movies, so if necessary I can trade up to something that will do what I want. I don't think this is user error, since I've checked all the settings on my camcorder and read the manual many times in case I wasn't using it properly.

For an example of the best quality video I typically achieve, using only daylight from a nearby window, see this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3fYCtvA9Q

Do I need to purchase lots of expensive lighting equipment to get good interior shots? As it stands, I have to turn the lights on in the house and wait for a sunny day before I can get enough light to produce something that isn't grainy and dull looking. Also, sometimes the picture will lose focus intermittently with the light is poor.

I would love to know what kind of setup I need to produce professional looking videos at home.

I have a similar Canon camcorder that is also very long in the tooth. I'm planning on upgrading to a new GoPro4 here in the next year. That doesn't answer your question specifically, but you might want to give them a look. I know there are many musicians/bands using them for their videos.

I have a similar Canon camcorder that is also very long in the tooth. I'm planning on upgrading to a new GoPro4 here in the next year. That doesn't answer your question specifically, but you might want to give them a look. I know there are many musicians/bands using them for their videos.

Thanks... I'll take a look.

I would love to know what kind of setup I need to produce professional looking videos at home.

I currently do not make any instructional videos but if I did, I would use my Canon 7D with a 17-40mm 4.0L lens. Shooting in 720P IS high definition, but lighting, lensing, frame rate and capture method all comes in to play.

From the looks of the specs on your camera, it's recording at 24p-30 (recorded at 60i) meaning 24-30 progressive frames per second which is pretty good. Looking at some of your videos, I would say the quality has to do with the built-in lens not allowing enough light in. Getting a camera that can have interchangeable lenses for different lighting can help quite a bit (DSLR).

Here's a sample video I made with my 7D at 720P with a 50mm f/1.2 lens. It's all about the glass dude!! Good luck, great guitar work in your vids BTW.

I currently do not make any instructional videos but if I did, I would use my Canon 7D with a 17-40mm 4.0L lens. Shooting in 720P IS high definition, but lighting, lensing, frame rate and capture method all comes in to play.

From the looks of the specs on your camera, it's recording at 24p-30 (recorded at 60i) meaning 24-30 progressive frames per second which is pretty good. Looking at some of your videos, I would say the quality has to do with the built-in lens not allowing enough light in. Getting a camera that can have interchangeable lenses for different lighting can help quite a bit (DSLR).

Here's a sample video I made with my 7D at 720P with a 50mm f/1.2 lens. It's all about the glass dude!! Good luck, great guitar work in your vids BTW.
Thanks mate. I'm now using a wide-angle lens occasionally to get more in shot but it doesn't do anything to improve the final image. I'd like to know what Mark Day uses because his vids are always pin-sharp and crystal clear.

Looks like from this video, Mark Day uses a GoPro Hero 3 Full HD. I agree they are sharp quality, the GoPro's just keep getting better... Have fun!

Ah yes, I see it on his workstation, although he has another camera set up for the wide shot and what looks like quite a lot of natural light coming in. Even on his old vids though, he got great footage.

I will probably look at getting one of those Go Pro Heroes. The low light compensation would be great for getting band footage as well as recording classes and interior performances.

Light is your friend! The human eye and brain are amazingly good at adapting to different light levels. Most cameras suck at it by comparison. High end cameras usually have much better low light performance. A couple of fill lights could do wonders, and since your most likely not concerned with super accurate color reproduction, you shouldn't have to spend a lot. Heck even a halogen work light from a home improvement or hardware store and a big diffuser could be enough for some general fill light. Find a big cheap poster sized picture frame at a thrift store and stretch some thin, white cloth over it (maybe some old window curtain liners from the same thrift store!). Slap that in front of a bright work light and bam, instant studio lighting. Just be careful since those lights can get really hot and you don't want your "studio" to catch fire. Big pieces of cardboard covered with aluminum foil make super cheap reflectors for controlling light too. I had a friend in college who was a photography major and was dead broke most of the time, so he had to get creative.

There will some noise and grain with any intermediate level equipment indoors. I've used both DSLRs and various GoPro versions including the Hero 3 black edition. IMO the GoPro with Protune enabled is the worst as far as noise in low lighting, but this can be overcome in post. Sure, those awesome GoPro vids you see in commercials look amazing, but there is A TON of post done on them.

I'd recommend trying a third party plugin such as Neat Video for reducing noise. It works great when used properly. I believe they still offer demo versions too (demo is functional but not HD res). They have versions for nearly all software suites including Adobe and Sony. If I'm editing a straight forward video with no effects or time warping, I'll usually just throw Neat Video plugin on it and be done. Simple.

i've just been using my iPhone 6 for now, i'm decently pleased with the results. sure i'd like a dedicated camera but if the lighting is adequate it always turns out good enough.

if i were wanting to do something more professional for a legit/professional website i'd obviously upgrade, but for youtube demo stuff i think it's fine.

Back
Top Bottom