What do you expect in the future from FAS?

It should be possible one day not only to match the sound of tube amps, but improve upon them. What do you think "better than tubes" would sound like?
The same minus the noise, inconsistency, and able to do things that are impossible in the real amp such as biasing hot and not melting the tubes along with the hum.
An idea I've had for years is to be able to foot switch the sound of a microphonic tube- just like a burst or have it randomly do it. You could even select the note it rings at.
It would have adjustable parameters so it would work exactly as you want.

Last edited:
You know Compressors, Modulation, Delays and Reverbs are not exclusive for guitar/bass, right? Most FX inside the Axe are as good or better than other studio gear out there.
Could definitely take some lifting off of cpu in a recording session. I’ve done this with varied results. The fx are better than some plugins, not as good as others and wasn’t as good as my dedicated Eventide processor, but if this was all I had, I’d be able to make do. More IO to get different fx paths would really enhance things. The FAS stuff where it is now kills the fx of say something like a rocktron or art fx processor. But no, it’s not competing with a bricasti verb or a high end lexicon unit just yet. I believe there is a path there, if FAS chooses to go that way. The onboard FAS fx are completely suited for a guitar rig, as intended.

Anytime I see a “what’s next” thread, a post made way back by @steadystate said it best:

“ I think we should be able to dial in the "firmness" of the firmware, anywhere from "hardware" to "software". This way, we could dial what we liked about the firmware into hardware, and then still load new firmware. We could also dial it to "software", export it, and use it on our PC or Mac. Seems like a no-brainer.”

Still brilliant :)

I expect FAS to maintain their position as best-in-class by continuing to adapt and improve on what they've built in terms of sound quality, workflow, features / blocks, and looking practically to any next-gen hardware based on user and market needs/supply. In other words: keep it up!

I expect them to release a new hardware platform when they feel it's necessary (probably not soon).
I differ in opinion. Given the timelines of all product releases AND all platforms now being mature and the usual "beef up" over time(larger screens, more power.....). I think it will be sooner than expected.

I differ in opinion. Given the timelines of all product releases AND all platforms now being mature and the usual "beef up" over time(larger screens, more power.....). I think it will be sooner than expected.
Based on past experience with the previous generations, I think we can expect about a 10-year cycle for the current generation. That means about 4 more years.

Considering the new stuff needs to be designed well in advance of release but is also dependent on 3rd party hardware such as DSP chips, there are multiple layers to creating a new unit.

I'll guess we'll find out when we find out ;)

The only thing I REALLY want is the cornford RK100 modeled and with the same awesomeness as the 2203.

Don’t know how fractal did it but this 2203 is just amazing in feeling, dynamics, pick attack, awesome in everyway.

RK100 is just one of the best single channel amp (+boost) ever made and it deserves a new model in the fractal family

Please RK100

And how will they get their investment into writing the software back?
the same way they get the investment back in tripling the capability of newly released units over time: they dont. Customer loyalty is how they get it back. It would be one firmware EOLing the unit if people wanted to use it this way. If they charged for major updates, no one could complain. So far, they haven’t.

I’d like to see more FAS amps. I love the idea of correcting design issues and making amps sound better in the modeling realm. The FAS 6160 is one of my favs.

“The FAS models typically remove or minimize the undesirable characteristics of those old amps”

Me too....I've long thought that custom "DSP amps" could be the next evolution in "guitar tone processing", in that the best, most desirable aspects of tube amps/circuits, and their complex, interactive behaviors, can be quantified, and replicated, via DSP while leaving the less then desirable aspect behind.

Add to that that you can do all sorts of "stuff" in the digital realm that you never could with conventional analog circuits and I can imagine an entirely new paradigm in guitar tone generation....crafting new modules/blocks that could be manipulated by simple controls that affect "a global concept".

For example, you could have a "Sponge Control" (lol) that could affect several main, influential parameters relating to the stiffness, or sponginess, of how an amp plays, like the "Negative Feedback", "Master Volume", "Sag", etc. Integrating those various functions/circuit emulations into a simple, super effective control.....a "musical" control...something when you tweak it makes you go "wow, now that is coooooool....". It would be one part of a building block of addtional controls/functions that have several "tube amp behaviours" crunched down into simpler, perhaps more abstracted concepts.

Similarly, I've always found a "Tilt EQ" is very handy to quickly "voice" a guitar and fine tune from there. A single control that gets you "in the ballpark" in seconds would be an effective feature in "Guitar Amps 2.0".

Distilling the complex, dynamic interactions in tube amps into a new architecture where simpler controls affect "modules" in ways not yet thought of is very interesting....maybe get a little bit of AI in there heh....

The UI on the unit could use a major overhaul, given the fact that there is only so much space available, it would be great to create an interface that allows using an iPad or other tablet to run the editing software.

As AI is the hot topic these days, that could also make its way into the Fractal world. Just some crazy idea: us AI to generate new amp models based on prompting. Or maybe even complete presets

Back
Top Bottom