What are you setting your Input% at?

rcd

Inspired
In the Axe II on I/O, what range works best for you for your Input level %? I have never paid attention to this parameter, which I now know it critical, especially when switching guitar so much...Mine was always set to 14.5%. Too low? Why? I know it's all subjective , but I'm really curious what ranges people set this.

Thanks!

Rich

Depends on the output level of your pickups, it should be set so the input level meter just slightly peaks to red when you play real hard ("tickling the red" as we call it), so this may vary from guitar to guitar. For the AT100CL I use, I have mine at about 55%, works for me :)

When I first received my Axe FX-II, I used my Strat that had mini humbuckers in it and the level was about 51.1%. It would tickle the RED if I was strumming hard (something that I normally do once in a while) and had no problems. When I switched to a guitar with active humbuckers, I would have to turn the volume down on the guitar or else I would be in the RED for the majority of the time to where the cleans sounded dirty.

After reading some random thread on here, I decided to use the guitar with active humbuckers as my baseline. Now I am set at 33.3% however, that brought the output volume of the Strat way down. Changing to single coils probably added to the issue but it also gave me a reason to learn more about the cause & effect that every action has with different guitars that no two are alike (body shape & pickup choice).

mine is set to 50% set for my jackson with passive humbuckers .. i dont change that when switching to my strat.

i also barely hear the difference .. when recording bass i turn it down to like 20% and sometimes i forget to turn it up again .. i only hear it if the settings get extreme (like 5-10%)

I don't think the input level setting is all that critical. It does help optimize signal-to-noise ratio a bit, but it has little effect on your guitar's actual signal level, except at extreme settings. Global Amp Gain has a much stronger effect.

I don't think the input level setting is all that critical. It does help optimize signal-to-noise ratio a bit, but it has little effect on your guitar's actual signal level, except at extreme settings. Global Amp Gain has a much stronger effect.
after watching Scott's axe fest video, i came to this conclusion as well.

When I first received my Axe FX-II, I used my Strat that had mini humbuckers in it and the level was about 51.1%. It would tickle the RED if I was strumming hard (something that I normally do once in a while) and had no problems. When I switched to a guitar with active humbuckers, I would have to turn the volume down on the guitar or else I would be in the RED for the majority of the time to where the cleans sounded dirty.

After reading some random thread on here, I decided to use the guitar with active humbuckers as my baseline. Now I am set at 33.3% however, that brought the output volume of the Strat way down. Changing to single coils probably added to the issue but it also gave me a reason to learn more about the cause & effect that every action has with different guitars that no two are alike (body shape & pickup choice).
As the other guys said it does not affect volume output but rather signal to noise ratio. The strat should not be adversely affected

I use EMGs and the default setting works perfectly for me. My hardest strumming just barely lights up the red LEDs.

I don't know why but I have tried many guitars with single coil, humbucker, P90's, hot PU's low output PU's and i always have it up to 100% and only sometimes hit the reds.
Who knows, I hear it said that it does not matter.
I am just surprised when so many people are at 50%-75%.

I have a tele I use a lot that has Lollar 50's single coils in it. They are pretty low-output but I wouldn't say that they are set real low on the guitar. Maybe low-medium height.

I can't tickle the red, even with the input at 100%. Is this an indication that the pickups should be raised?

I run it around 65% right now so that I don't have to change it when switching between other guitars, which are low-medium output humbuckers.

I have a tele I use a lot that has Lollar 50's single coils in it. They are pretty low-output but I wouldn't say that they are set real low on the guitar. Maybe low-medium height.

I can't tickle the red, even with the input at 100%. Is this an indication that the pickups should be raised?

I run it around 65% right now so that I don't have to change it when switching between other guitars, which are low-medium output humbuckers.

I find this to depend on the "Input 1 Mode" setting. If it's set to L+R Sum or Stereo, it won't peak to red. Set it to "Left" and I'm sure you'll hit the red at some point :)

Edit: That's how it behaves for my guitar at least, but others might get it to peak with L+R/Stereo I'm sure :)

Last edited:
Curious, I checked different values and come back to default (49,8 ) - works well for alle my guitars (PRS Custom, ES-335, Les Paul, 2x Strat...) always in the yellow to max. tickling the red ... depending on the guitar ... tuner is stable, everything works pretty comfortable ...

having followed Scotty's video Axe Fest West I need to get to 95%+ on both my tele and strat (passive pickups) to tickle the reds - sounds good (playing aside) so will keep on doing this unless someone tells me otherwise!

wishing all a good weekend!

I agree, and I'm glad you said that. I have a PRS SE with EMG active pickups. Changing the I/O input level has little effect as far as I can tell. Other gain parameters seem to have more affect. I don't even worry about the reds, unless it's output clipping. That can get your attention in a hurry.

::Greg

I notice a pretty significant difference on my end by adjusting this parameter. It's almost like my guitar isn't hitting the front of the patch hard enough if I go from an active to a single coil and leave the levels really low. I can definitely 'feel' it in the response when I play.

YMMV. I am weird sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom