What are some strat-like mates to my Collings City Limits?

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
I really dig my Collings City Limits, kind of a refined LP kinda.

If I love that, what strat do I want? I have an EJ with the bound rosewood fretboard, and it's cool , but it doesn't have the richness, sustain, or class of the Collings.

Is there such thing as a strat-ish guitar like that? Like what?

Collings doesn't make one afaik.

Last edited:
I just picked up a second PRS NF3. Stratty in appearance, but three Narrowfield humbuckers that can get surprisingly Strat-flavored tones, especially in positions 2 & 4. Not a Strat, but I like to think of it as a Strat for us humbucker guys.

Mine:

IMG_4103.jpeg

Incoming:

IMG_0098.jpeg

‘You have to do some shopping, as they’re not made any longer, but I find it’s worth the effort to find a deal on one.

I just picked up a second PRS NF3. Stratty in appearance, but three Narrowfield humbuckers that can get surprisingly Strat-flavored tones, especially in positions 2 & 4. Not a Strat, but I like to think of it as a Strat for us humbucker guys.

Mine:

View attachment 132714

Incoming:

View attachment 132715

‘You have to do some shopping, as they’re not made any longer, but I find it’s worth the effort to find a deal on one.
An alternate to the NF3 is the PRS Studio. It’s an SSH configuration so it still has the two Narrowfield pickups in the middle and neck, with a great PAF-like pickup at the bridge that can be tapped.

Mine has a sound like a Strat when I roll it back, and somewhat like P-90s at full volume only it’s all humbucking, making it a great rock guitar.

The PRS 509 and the Special Semi-Hollow can get great Strat sounds too. The 509 has the scale length to really hit Strat sounds, and the Semi-Hollow pickups can be tapped, which, with the semi-hollow body and center Narrowfield pickup gets the quack nicely, plus it’s nice and light.

Also, look at the Xotic XSCPro-2 and their XSCProx1. I have the “2” and it feels and sounds like an early 60s Strat.

Last edited:
I'll give a shout out to my PRS Custom 24.
With the 5 way selector, there are several nice tones in there!

SP PRS 5.PNG

Back
Top Bottom